PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Warlock Gear?

Jeff240sx
2010-03-22, 12:52 PM
I'm having a really tough time finding any gear recommendations for a very often-suggested build.

The build is the warlock4/binder1/ur-priest2/ hellfire and disciple.

The gear that this thing uses is pretty confounding.

We will probably be starting from level 7, WBL, so I'm looking for any insight at all.

So far I've got Mithrial Breastplate + Anklets of Translocation in mind. Any suggestions for current and future would be greatly appreciated.

vampire2948
2010-03-22, 12:54 PM
Take a race that is small and has +dex. And don't forget to purchase +dex items as you level up.
Missing with Eldritch Blast is not fun.

Aside from that.. healing items, wands etc? If I remember correctly, UMD is a class skill for 'locks.

Admiral Squish
2010-03-22, 01:13 PM
There's a cloak that gives you +Xd6 damage to eldritch blast.

I think there's also a rod that does stuff.

PanNarrans
2010-03-22, 01:15 PM
Heh. Vampire2948 is currently DMing my warlock.

Boosting to hit isn't really a worry against things with low touch AC, ie almost everything. If you do think you're lacking, though, gloves of dexterity are good.
If you're taking hellfire warlock you're probably interested in boosting blast damage, and the Chasuble of Fell Power does exactly that. More d6s!
Since the Deceive Item ability means you just need 10 ranks in UMD to activate wands without chance of failure, it's worthwhile to invest in useful wands and perhaps a wand bracer to put them in.
There are some rods that let you apply an invocation you don't know to your eldritch blast.
If you're using a lot of eldritch essences, a cloak of charisma might be worthwhile to pump up the saves.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-22, 01:27 PM
I second the Warlock's Rod and Warlock's Cloak for the Eldritch Blast Boost

then, I agree, gloves of dex are nice, but I think there's a set of gloves that actually boost EB further.

Then, "point and click"

I have a quick PS: Can a warlock fire his EB from things other than his palm, such as fingertips, mouth, or eyes? Because I was helping a buddy who wanted Cycopes' Optic Blasts...

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-22, 01:40 PM
Scarf of Allure (?) in the MiC is good for Warlocks who used Save based Invocations a lot.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-22, 01:42 PM
Scarf of Allure (?) in the MiC is good for Warlocks who used Save based Invocations a lot.

that's a definately nice touch. Make him look slightly less like a guy...Or make him always cold.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-22, 01:45 PM
...I have a quick PS: Can a warlock fire his EB from things other than his palm, such as fingertips, mouth, or eyes? Because I was helping a buddy who wanted Cycopes' Optic Blasts...

In terms of fluff I'd definitely allow it, things like this are what make characters individuals.. If they tried to use it so they could fire it when pound/paralyzed then that would be a no.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-22, 01:46 PM
In terms of fluff I'd definitely allow it, things like this are what make characters individuals.. If they tried to use it so they could fire it when pound/paralyzed then that would be a no.

That wasn't the plan. I mean, I could do a Kamiccillo from DBZ (Hullo Special Beam Cannon, my olde chum) and he can do Cyclopes

Darastin
2010-03-22, 01:52 PM
I have a quick PS: Can a warlock fire his EB from things other than his palm, such as fingertips, mouth, or eyes? Because I was helping a buddy who wanted Cycopes' Optic Blasts...
Mechanically, all invocations (including Eldritch Blast) require somatic components, so he needs to use one of his hands. Which does not require that the blast is actually shot from the hand; I think you can describe it in any way that does not directly contradict the mechanics (unless you houserule it, of course).

I'm not very familiar with the X-Men, but in the movie adaptions Cyclops always presses a button or somethung on his visor to fire the blast. So there's your somatic component :smallcool:

As for Warlock equipment:
If you're using invocations that require saves, don't forget to boost your CHA through the roof.

Just my two Euro-cents;
Darastin

Eldariel
2010-03-22, 01:53 PM
Warlock's Scepter [CA/MiC; CA is better but much more expensive], Chasuble of Fell Power (Greater) [MiC/CA], Gauntlets of Eldritch Admixture [MiC] (Eldritch Energy is meh since it doesn't stack with Essence-invocations) & Rod of Eldritch Power [CM] are basics and something to consider.

As you have lots of Cha-based checks (particularly UMD), Circlet of Persuasion [DMG] is good and obviously you want Heward's Handy Haversack [DMG] and Healing Belt [MiC] like everyone else. Other generic stuff like Belt of Battle [MiC] and such is also useful, as is anything that enables avoiding ranged attacks (the thing that can usually threaten you) and anything that stops AMF; check out the "Tinfoil Hat"-trick for example. Obviously Cha-boosters (if using save-providing stuff), Con-boosters, Dex-boosters, save-boosters and such too.

Also, Wands (UMD, remember?) of stuff like Nerveskitter [SC], Lesser Vigor [SC], etc. (and melee buffs if using Eldritch Glaive as a Glaivelock), Iridescent Spindle Ioun Stone [DMG], etc. are all obviously useful. Maybe Wand of True Strike (when something is really hard to hit) and a Scroll of Heal and Revivify for emergencies.

And yeah...stuff like that. Warlocks are pretty straight-forward to equip.

jiriku
2010-03-22, 01:59 PM
Don't forget to stock up on items that every character needs/can use.

defenses:
resistance bonus to saves
deflection bonus to AC
enhancement bonus to AC
enhancement bonus to Con
miss chance

offenses:
chasuble of fell power
warlock's scepter
enhancement bonuses to Dex and Cha

Also, invocations are good, and you'll never get enough of them. If a magic item duplicates the effect of an invocation you want, get the magic item instead of the invocation, thus freeing up an invocation slot you can now use to do something else.

eyes of charming
wings of flying
gem of true seeing
nightvision goggles

useful items to UMD
wand of lesser vigor
scroll of restoration (with hellfire warlock, it's possible to burn your Con faster than your binder level will replace it; the scroll of restoration is good to have in a pinch)

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-22, 02:11 PM
Mechanically, all invocations (including Eldritch Blast) require somatic components, so he needs to use one of his hands. Which does not require that the blast is actually shot from the hand; I think you can describe it in any way that does not directly contradict the mechanics (unless you houserule it, of course).

I'm not very familiar with the X-Men, but in the movie adaptions Cyclops always presses a button or somethung on his visor to fire the blast. So there's your somatic component :smallcool:

Wouldn't Occular Spell from Lords of Madness help as well?