PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Are Unconscious Characters Bloodied?

LibraryOgre
2010-03-22, 01:16 PM
If you become unconscious due to having fewer than 1 HP, do you still count as bloodied for effects that work on the bloodied?

For example, the clerical "Healer's Mercy" which gives every bloodied ally a healing surge. If you've been punked around until you're -12 and dropping, do you count as a "bloodied ally", or does unconscious override that?

My feeling is that, from the description of bloodied, you are. Bloodied is "Bloodied value or lower", not "Bloodied value to 0", but I wanted other opinions.

Kurald Galain
2010-03-22, 01:18 PM
Assuming they're unconscious from lack of hit points, yes.

If they're unconscious from e.g. a Sleep spell, then not necessarily.

Jerthanis
2010-03-22, 01:49 PM
I'm pretty sure you're right... that it means "bloodied value and lower", but that might produce strange effects with the "regenerate 2 or 4 while bloodied until end of encounter" powers.

Meh, I'd rule on a case-by-case I guess.

mathewt
2010-03-22, 01:56 PM
I'm pretty sure you're right... that it means "bloodied value and lower", but that might produce strange effects with the "regenerate 2 or 4 while bloodied until end of encounter" powers.

Except that, if I remember correctly, regeneration doesn't function while you're unconscious.

senrath
2010-03-22, 01:56 PM
I'm pretty sure regenerate itself states it only works when you have 1+ HP, so there's no problem there.

LibraryOgre
2010-03-22, 02:19 PM

Meh, I'd rule on a case-by-case I guess.

Right. Regenerate is a specific case of "This does not work if you are at 0 or lower HP", which would trump the general "If you are at 0 or lower HP, you are bloodied and unconscious."