PDA

View Full Version : Item idea: Warlock "potions"

Eldan
2010-03-22, 01:59 PM
So, I thought about Warlocks again while trying to come up with more fey invocations, and my thoughts wandered to items.

What would you say would a good cost be for items based on warlock invocations? Can you just base them on their equivalent spell levels? I.e. if I made an item creation feat that allowed warlocks to store their invocations in potion-like items, and the invocation in question was said to be the equivalent of a 1st level spell, would you call that a level 1 potion?

Critical
2010-03-22, 02:04 PM
If they were 1-time use, they would be MUCH cheaper than ordinary equipment, just because warlocks can use them all day long. For the permanent stuff... a lot.

JeenLeen
2010-03-22, 02:05 PM
Since some invocations give 24-hour buffs, those at least seem like they might be overpowered in potion form.

Some others, though, would probably work but not be too strong. I haven't read much on or played a warlock, so I'm not very familiar, but I imagine some invocations are utility not because of duration but because of at-will usage. Potions for those would probably be fine.

Eldariel
2010-03-22, 02:19 PM
Since some invocations give 24-hour buffs, those at least seem like they might be overpowered in potion form.

Some others, though, would probably work but not be too strong. I haven't read much on or played a warlock, so I'm not very familiar, but I imagine some invocations are utility not because of duration but because of at-will usage. Potions for those would probably be fine.

Easy enough to write the Warlock Potions to only grant the ability for a certain duration though; 1 min/level or so.

LibraryOgre
2010-03-22, 02:25 PM
I don't see a particular problem, though these will be really popular as 24 hour buffs. IIRC, most warlock invocations have a listed level of effect, so I'd say you simply make them as potions, with a minimum level as whatever the minimum level of warlock to make those potions is.

Optimystik
2010-03-22, 03:28 PM
DFAs get some strong invocations. One of their Least invocations, Magic Insight, gives you Detect Magic that you can end prematurely for a free, instant Identify.

Something like that would be nuts in potion form.