PDA

View Full Version : On making friends.

0datdude0
2010-03-22, 03:06 PM
The campaign im in is hitting mid level and we tend to wrap things up between 16-22 so I'm just at the start of thinking up my next character.

I think I'd like to make friends. . . physically make them if possible .

Now awakening things can be funny but i'm not sure how my DM handles that stuff yet so I'm going to stick working on what to create.

Constructs could be fun and the idea of playing Warforged that desperate to " have kids " is right up my ally joke wise. Constructs cost XP though and I'm very weary of giving up my hard earned XP.

Undead cost no XP and their are many types of undead.

Umm can you create anything else ? Aberrations maybe be.

Any links would be helpful.

Eldariel
2010-03-22, 03:15 PM
XP is a river; drop a level and you gain much more XP from future encounters. Basically all ways of making friends cost XP. Things you can use:
- Simulacrum
- Animate Object
- Animate Dead
- Beget Bogun
- Craft Construct [Feat] (if you're an Artificer [ECS], the XP costs here can be just taken from your craft pool though; with Retain Essence, that's no problem)

You could also use Planar Binding, but that's not as much making friends as taking powerful extraplanar creatures and mindraping them into obedient servants, not far from Dominate Person-method of "making friends", really; since you seem to want to construct friends, that doesn't seem like the thing.

Constructing costs XP practically always. And yeah, Artificer can sidestep those costs with the Crafting Pool to a degree, something to consider. Dweomerkeeper [CDiv Web] can negate the costs for XP in spells by making them Supernatural Spells, but as you might be able to imagine, that's ridiculously broken and thus I suggest against the class. So...yeah, I say don't be afraid to pay XP for longterm investments; it'll come back. Same reason Crafting items is cool.

Btw, you could have a familiar or take feat "Item Familiar" [UA] or some other source of an intelligent item or ally and pick something self-made and fluff it as you building a friend. Improved Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedFamiliar) could grant you a Homunculus, which could explicitly be crafted...though I think that costs XP too.

absolmorph
2010-03-22, 03:20 PM
If you want to make friends, be a Diplomancer.
If you want to make friends, be an artificer and focus mostly on constructs. Find a way to awaken your constructs. Or figure out how to make Warforged.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-22, 03:36 PM
If the DM allows it buy a thought bottle and then go on your crafting binge. Spend 500XP to make as many friends as you have spare XP, then open the bottle and start all over again.

Eldariel
2010-03-22, 03:41 PM
If the DM allows it buy a thought bottle and then go on your crafting binge. Spend 500XP to make as many friends as you have spare XP, then open the bottle and start all over again.

On the other hand, if you don't want various pointy objects pointed squarely at your forehead, don't do this.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-22, 03:49 PM
On the other hand, if you don't want various pointy objects pointed squarely at your forehead, don't do this.

I said IF the DM allowed.

0datdude0
2010-03-22, 03:51 PM
What is a thought bottle and where to i read up on it?

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-22, 03:52 PM

Wondrous Item in Complete Arcane (~20,000gp). But seriously, no DM will ever allow you to use it, more than once in any case.

Eldariel
2010-03-22, 03:52 PM

It's a completely broken item in Complete Arcane. Basically stores your present XP and allows you to **** around as much as you want, then returning you to your previous XP. It's on the very short banlist almost every Char Ops discussion follows.

EDIT: Wowjad.

0datdude0
2010-03-22, 06:26 PM
yea im going to ignore that this thing exists. The rest of the world seems to.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-22, 06:28 PM
yea im going to ignore that this thing exists. The rest of the world seems to.

They make up the majority of Artificer's dreams :smallamused: Glabrezu's have been known to use them to temt people into burning down villages :smalltongue:

Probably a good idea though. Just thought I should mention it.

0datdude0
2010-03-23, 03:06 PM
Humm is their a constructs handbook?

Edit:

Why the heck is there so much info on undead and not constructs?

Looking over the types on the SRD Undead get good will save ( constructs have all bad saves ) a higher hit die ( undead get d 12 constructs get d 10 ) In general the only thing constructs have going for them over undead is theirs more stuff out their to counter undead.

Man I feel like being a champion of the robot race now.

Eldariel
2010-03-23, 03:16 PM
Humm is their a constructs handbook?

Not really, though some work on Effigies has been done. Various Artificer Handbooks touch upon the subject but as none have really been finalized, it's not elaborated upon anywhere yet. I can tell you that Greater Stone Golem can be built very early for its cost and it kicks major butt provided you alleviate the costs by sharing with the party and having Extraordinary Artisan and Legendary Artisan and using your Craft Reserve along with Retain Essence on some minor junk you can't sell profittably.

randomhero00
2010-03-23, 03:18 PM
Take leadership and refluff it into making cohorts and followers. Part of the fluff could be that you put part of yourself into these constructs and that when they die its harder to make another/takes longer (thereby being the same mechanically as normal leadership but letting you make friends.)

0datdude0
2010-03-23, 04:23 PM
I wonder if i can talk my DM into letting me just swap create undead for creat construct as a spell

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-23, 04:25 PM
I wonder if i can talk my DM into letting me just swap create undead for creat construct as a spell

Fluff or mechanics? Coz if it's the latter I can't see that happening unless I've missed something.

Eldariel
2010-03-23, 04:27 PM
Just craft constructs. Easiest that way.

0datdude0
2010-03-23, 04:46 PM
Fluff or mechanics? Coz if it's the latter I can't see that happening unless I've missed something.

Why?

Undead are stronger then most constructs ( golems and their spellresistance aside )

Animate dead lets you make a skeleton for what 25 gp worth of gems.

Why should someone with 3rd level spells be able to make a skeleton but not wire some clockwork together and animate it?

Humm animated objects. . . ( runs off to read)