PDA

View Full Version : teleport help, not enough people allowed

taltamir
2010-03-22, 03:50 PM
dimension door, teleport, and teleport without error limit you to "yourself plus 1 creature of medium size per 3 caster levels" larger creatures take up more... this makes it really difficult to teleport the whole party in one go... how do I get around this problem?

Lapak
2010-03-22, 03:54 PM
There's a three-level PrC in Complete Arcane that offers Increased Capacity as a class feature - Wayfarer Guide, or something like that.

Optimystik
2010-03-22, 03:55 PM
Put them in your portable hole :smalltongue:

Eldariel
2010-03-22, 03:58 PM

Believe it or not, this is actually the solution Epic Level Handbook advocates. Or rather, "considers the optimal and tells DM to screw by making sure every Teleport always leads to an immediate ambush so they're challenged 'cause the writers are fail at DMing and don't know how to challenge epic level characters".

And yeah, one level of Wayfarer Guide doesn't cost CL and is a great solution. This might sound obvious, but caster level buffs help a ton too.

taltamir
2010-03-22, 04:00 PM
There's a three-level PrC in Complete Arcane that offers Increased Capacity as a class feature - Wayfarer Guide, or something like that.

nice... it doesn't advance casting on level 2 though... so its really only good for a 1 level dip.

Believe it or not, this is actually the solution Epic Level Handbook advocates. Or rather, "considers the optimal and tells DM to screw by making sure every Teleport always leads to an immediate ambush so they're challenged 'cause the writers are fail at DMing and don't know how to challenge epic level characters".

And yeah, one level of Wayfarer Guide doesn't cost CL and is a great solution. This might sound obvious, but caster level buffs help a ton too.

to be fair, giving characters the ability to teleport is a huge game breaker.

good idea. it would certainly help to shove the familiar in the HHH... but a portable hole is rather expensive and takes time... I was thinking more along the "teleport the party on top of the enemy" or (as any stronghold would have defenses against teleport), teleport the party away from a big bad enemy. So basically, it should be something that can be done in 1 round.

Saph
2010-03-22, 04:01 PM
• Caster level buffs.
• Wayfarer Guide.
• Use the Shadow Walk spell instead.
• Taxi service - go there, go back, go there again.
• Get a Belt of the Wide Earth and have other PCs teleport too.

And various other methods. It's a common problem in large parties.

Optimystik
2010-03-22, 04:04 PM
Believe it or not, this is actually the solution Epic Level Handbook advocates.

I almost said "put them in your a-hole (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/06/13/episode-1140-where-the-sun-dont-shine/)" but I wasn't sure how many he had...

taltamir
• Caster level buffs.
Buffs? i thought only items increase caster level, not buffs. which specifically?

• Wayfarer Guide.
Very nice for a 1 level dip. but level 2 hurts.

Use the Shadow Walk spell instead.
Where is it from?

Taxi service - go there, go back, go there again.
That is what I have been trying to avoid, it costs 3 castings and is a real problem if you are running for dear life.

Get a Belt of the Wide Earth and have other PCs teleport too.
What does it do and where is it from?

El Dorado
Do two small creatures count as one medium creature? If so, you could reduce the party.

taltamir
2010-03-22, 04:05 PM
I almost said "put them in your a-hole (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/06/13/episode-1140-where-the-sun-dont-shine/)" but I wasn't sure how many he had...

HA, I remember that one, hilarious.

anyways, thanks for the suggestions people.
To be more specific, the idea is to teleport more people with one go, mainly to escape a losing battle, so it needs to be able to take the whole party in one round.

BTW, is there a way to avoid the "must hold hands" bit?

taltamir
2010-03-22, 04:07 PM
Do two small creatures count as one medium creature? If so, you could reduce the party.

sadly no... medium or smaller all count as medium...

You may also bring one additional willing Medium or smaller creature (carrying gear or objects up to its maximum load) or its equivalent (see below) per three caster levels. A Large creature counts as two Medium creatures, a Huge creature counts as two Large creatures, and so forth. All creatures to be transported must be in contact with one another, and at least one of those creatures must be in contact with you.

Keshay
2010-03-22, 04:08 PM
Re: Shadow walk

Where is it from?

The PHB?

Aharon
2010-03-22, 04:08 PM
There's also the Teamwork Benefit "Share Magic" in Forge of War (an Eberron Supplement). Your group counts as one person less with it.

El Dorado
2010-03-22, 04:09 PM
Ah. Oh well. Aside from getting a rogue or bard with UMD, I got nothing.

tyckspoon
2010-03-22, 04:09 PM
A) Don't carry around Large creatures (some items of Reduce Person/Reduce Animal can be useful here) and B) take a level of Wayfarer Guide.

taltamir
2010-03-22, 04:12 PM
Re: Shadow walk

The PHB?

ah, thanks...
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shadowWalk.htm

yes that is very nice... 1 creature/CL... no size limits...
but you must be in "shadowy illumination"

Eldariel
2010-03-22, 04:15 PM
ah, thanks...
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shadowWalk.htm

yes that is very nice... 1 creature/CL... no size limits...
but you must be in "shadowy illumination"

Quicken Darkness or something.

taltamir
2010-03-22, 04:19 PM
Quicken Darkness or something.

excellent idea... or better yet, give your familiar a wand of darkness :P
it casts darkness, jumps into your HHH, you cast shadow walk...

I was considering the dismissal of the enlargement spell before teleporting away, but according to the SRD (D) means its dismissable at will as a standard action requiring a verbal (OR somatic component if the original spell had no verbal component).

Shadow walk seems to be the best way so far to escape battle.. with a quickened darkness/wand darkness in the hands of the familiar...
And for more accurate usage, increasing the CL, using an A-hole, shrink and into the HHH, or a level of wayfarer's guide

Optimystik
2010-03-22, 04:19 PM
Please note that Shadow Walk is not very reliable - even less so than teleport.

It's also a much better target for DM screw - the Plane of Shadow is pretty hostile, and you're there much longer than a teleporter is in the Astral.

And all of you popping out fatigued in a dragon's den or something is a nice recipe for TPK.

absolmorph
2010-03-22, 04:20 PM
The only way to reliably challenge a somewhat optimized epic level character is to start pitting them against gods.
Or throw a ton of wizards with Ray of Enfeeblement or something similar at 'em. Maybe guys using Reach Spell and Shivering Touch.

Eldariel
2010-03-22, 04:22 PM
The only way to reliably challenge a somewhat optimized epic level character is to start pitting them against gods.
Or throw a ton of wizards with Ray of Enfeeblement or something similar at 'em. Maybe guys using Reach Spell and Shivering Touch.

No, you toss other epic characters and monsters with epic casting/manifesting at them... It's...really trivial. Fight fire with fire. Fight everything with fire.

Though Teleporting isn't that hard really; the "hold hands"-clause is a bit strange as if it were only a Touch-spell, your familiar could touch everyone in the round and teleport away just fine, but meh.

taltamir
2010-03-22, 04:23 PM
No, you toss other epic characters and monsters with epic casting/manifesting at them... It's...really trivial. Fight fire with fire. Fight everything with fire.

fire makes everything better :P.

you forgot chaining it.

Mauther
2010-03-22, 04:28 PM
Outsource to the Wayfarer's Guild. I believe the writeup in Complete Arcane gives their pricing.

Lapak
2010-03-22, 04:31 PM
BTW, is there a way to avoid the "must hold hands" bit?As long as you're specializing in teleportation to some degree, keeping around a Quickened Regroup spell is one way to work around this. POOF! Everyone is adjacent. POOF! Everyone is gone.

Draxar
2010-03-22, 06:33 PM

In the Eberron game I'm currently in, the party managed to break into Kunderak hold through its vents system due to a combination of bag of holding and a character with Martial Study: Shadow Jaunt, meaning that once every 5 minutes he can teleport 50 foot. Grilles and fans are no longer a real obstacle. We've also had the Brass Dragon Wyrmling PC run us away with his 150 fly speed.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-22, 07:07 PM
Get a metamagic rod of Twin spell. Bam, you now can target 2 creatures/3CLs.

taltamir
2010-03-22, 07:31 PM
Get a metamagic rod of Twin spell. Bam, you now can target 2 creatures/3CLs.

OMFG! this is epic... this is the best solution thus far... (expensive though, but such a rod has other uses too)

Say... how do you guys think the "share spell with familiar" thing would work on teleports? a seperate teleport for you and your familiar each, each capable of brining others across with them?

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-22, 07:33 PM
OMFG! this is epic... this is the best solution thus far... (expensive though, but such a rod has other uses too)

Say... how do you guys think the "share spell with familiar" thing would work on teleports? a seperate teleport for you and your familiar each, each capable of brining others across with them?

If Teleport's range were Personal, it would work. But it's touch, so you can only have him deliver it.