PDA

View Full Version : Pandora

Savannah
2010-03-23, 12:57 AM
Players:
Drager0: Eric (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=192657) (Tough, Burgler, invisibly mutant)
Tackyhillbillu: Gavn Mithras (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=192723) (Strong, Adventurer, normal)
Meshakhad: Adi (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=133907) (Dedicated, Doctor, visibly mutant)
DeadManSleeping: Dominic Game (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=192810) (Smart, Technician, normal)
Ishikar: Aaron (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=193440) (Fast, Military, invisibly mutant)
ShotgunPete: Stanley Ratliff (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=194623) (Smart, Rural, visibly mutant (invisibly with disguise))

Quick notes:
I haven't opened an OOC thread; just label stuff as OOC in this thread.
I will be using spoilers for rolls I don't want you to see, so if it doesn't have your name on it, don't read it :smallwink:
I'm pretty new to D20 Modern, so if I make a mistake please point it out. Also, feel free to tell me if there is something you'd like me to change in the way I DM or how the game is going; the most important thing is for everyone to have fun.

Please post within two days of this first post if you still want to play.

Campaign world:
No one remembers quite how it all started. Humans had colonized space, but the colonies had turned on each other and their mother planet. The war was terrible; ships bombed entire cities to rubble, massive numbers of refugees searched for safe havens, and no end was in sight.

Warlords on all sides sought ever more powerful weapons, from artillery to germs and beyond. Seraxian Corporation, an Earth-based mega corporation devoted to genetic engineering and cybernetics, was hired by one such warlord to develop the Pandora virus. Pandora was designed to lie dormant for six weeks and then spread rapidly, killing all infected. Seraxian Corporation scientists were hesitant to hand over the virus, however, when the warlord demanded it, as they felt that its high mutation rate made it dangerously unstable.

The warlord took it anyway, and used it to infect over a thousand refugees heading off-planet, intending it to spread among the other colonies. Unfortunately, the agents handling the virus did not follow the protocols they were given exactly, and became infected themselves.

True to the Seraxian scientists’ predictions, Pandora was a dangerously unstable virus which quickly mutated into several strains. Pandora I, the virus as it was originally designed, killed all those infected. Pandora II warped the bodies of those that survived the initial infection, while Pandora III warped their minds, rendering them little more than savage beasts. Seraxian scientists had developed a Pandora vaccine, but it was only found to be effective against Pandora I.

All three strains spread rapidly among the cities. On Earth, only a few survivors remained, all from the countryside. No one on Earth knows how the other colonies faired, although it is presumed that most inhabitants died, as they did not have any defenses against Pandora I.

Now Earth is inhabited by small, self-sufficient colonies of normal humans. In some colonies, survivors of Pandora II and their offspring, who share their parents’ deformities, are allowed as second-class citizens, doing the dirty jobs that no one else will do. Earth cities are barren and crawling with mutants (survivors of Pandora II) and ferals (survivors of Pandora III). Rumor has it that in the deepest parts of some cities, there are remnants of the Seraxian labs and other technological marvels. Of course, getting to them is tricky...

Messages from Ace:
Drager0/Eric:
You hear someone whisper your name, but no one is around. After a moment, you realize that someone is contacting you telepathically. The voice is raspy, and you can’t determine the gender.

“Eric. You may call me Ace. You don’t know who I am, but we can help each other. If you will come here [you receive a mental image of a small clearing in a wood, containing a large, flat rock] tomorrow, at noon, I have a business proposition for you. It will be dangerous, but you will be well rewarded…After all, what else do you have to lose?”

The mental contact ends before you have a chance to respond. While you have never been to that part of the woods before, you realize that you know exactly how to get there.

You don’t know who Ace is, and you are reasonably sure that you have never heard that voice before.
Tackyhillbillu/Gavn Mitras:
(I’m assuming that you have at least one secret location to store the goods you find before selling them. If not, move this to anywhere no one but you is supposed to be able to get to.)

In one of your secret caches, you find a neatly folded note sitting in plain view. It is typed on plain paper, and reads as follows:

“Greetings, Gavn.
You don’t know who I am, but we can help each other. If you will come to [location in woods] tomorrow, at noon, I have a business proposition for you. It will be dangerous, but you will be well rewarded.

Ace”
You know where the meeting location would be, although it’s not in an area you usually visit.

The name Ace is vaguely familiar to you, and after a few moments you remember why. Once when you salvaged a particularly unusual computer, you were contacted the next day by a woman who bought it from you for a much higher price than you would have expected. She declined to give her name, saying only that she was an agent for a buyer named Ace.
Ertier/James Id:
In your home, where no one else is supposed to be, you find a neatly folded note sitting in plain view. It is typed on plain paper, and reads as follows:

“Greetings, James.
You don’t know who I am, but we can help each other. If you will come to [location in woods] tomorrow, at noon, I have a business proposition for you. It will be dangerous, but you will be well rewarded.

Ace”

You know vaguely where the meeting location would be, and you won’t have any trouble finding it.

You have no idea who Ace is.
Meshakhad/Adi:
As you are walking home one day, a vaguely reptilian mutant you have never seen before walks up to you, shoves something in your hand, and walks off before you have time to react. He has given you a typed note, which reads as follows:

“Greetings, Adi.
You don’t know who I am, but we can help each other. If you will come to [location in woods] tomorrow, at noon, I have a business proposition for you. It will be dangerous, but you will be able to help more people than you ever will in the colony.

Ace”

You know vaguely where the meeting location would be, and will not have any problem finding it.

Malfunctioned/Nytaghi:
You are delivering a message when you are almost knocked over by some children running by. After you dust yourself off, you discover that your messenger bag contains an extra sheet of paper. It is a typed note, which reads as follows:

“Greetings, Nytaghi.
You don’t know who I am, but we can help each other. If you will come to [location in woods] tomorrow, at noon, I have a business proposition for you. It will be dangerous, but you will be well rewarded, and you will be able to help many people.

Ace”

You have a vague idea where the meeting place is, and you won’t have any trouble finding it.

You have heard the name Ace before, and after a moment you remember that you once delivered a package from Ace. The weird thing was, the package was supposed to be picked up right outside of the settlement and dropped off in a ware-house inside, and you never saw the person on either end (you were hired via a note, much like this one). The job also paid twice your usual fee.
DeadManSleeping/Dominic Game
You are in town when an elderly man walks up to you. He squints at you, then hands you a piece of paper and walks off. The paper is a typed note, which reads as follows:

“Greetings, Dominic.
You don’t know who I am, but we can help each other. If you will come to [location in woods] tomorrow, at noon, I have a business proposition for you. It will be dangerous, but you will be well rewarded, and you will be able to strike back at the P-3s.

Ace”

You have never been to that part of the woods, but you shouldn’t have any trouble finding the meeting spot.

You have heard the name Ace, although it takes you a few minutes to place it. From what you’ve heard, Ace is the person to go to if you need unusual items, although you yourself have never had any dealings with her.
Ishikar/Aaron:
As you are walking through the colony one day, a young girl, maybe 8 years old, walks up to you. “You’re Aaron. This is for you,” she states as she hands you a piece of folded paper. She walks off before you have time to react. The paper is a typed note, which reads as follows:

“Greetings, Aaron.
You don’t know who I am, but we can help each other. If you will come to [location in woods] tomorrow, at noon, I have a business proposition for you. It will be dangerous, but you will be well rewarded, and you will be able to help many people.

Ace”

You know vaguely where the meeting location would be, and will not have any problem finding it, but you have not been there before.

ShotgunPete/Stanley:
(I’m assuming that you have at least one secret location to store the goods you find before selling them. If not, move this to anywhere no one but you is supposed to be able to get to.)

In one of your secret caches, you find a neatly folded note sitting in plain view. It is typed on plain paper, and reads as follows:

“Greetings, Stanley.

Ace”
You know where the meeting location is, and won’t have any trouble finding it.

You’ve heard of someone named Ace, as a buyer of unusual finds, although you do have not found anything interesting enough to have had any contact with him.

At the meeting place:
The location of the meeting is a small clearing in the woods, which contains a large, flat rock. A narrow, winding paved road leads past the clearing, perhaps a remnant of the roadways connecting the old cities.

You all arrive at about the same time, but the mysterious Ace who summoned you does not appear to be present.

Feel free to introduce yourselves and chat (or sulk in the background if you prefer).

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-23, 01:16 AM
GM
The cache thing is fine.

Gavn stood in clearing, grinning as he did. He was curious, more then anything. This Ace seemed interesting. The job he was going to provide would be to. Gavn could feel that in his bones. So he was here, in full expedition gear. Gavn wasn't even trying to hide what he was. The short, thin man, wearing combat fatigues, and strange floppy hat looked patently odd. The two Machete's that hung from his belt, inlaid wires crossing their blades and a strange device in each looking like some kind of pommel stone were less so. Anybody who knows the first thing about explosives would also recognize the significgance of the stick of Dynamite sticking out of his Backpack. This tiny, twitchy, heavily armed little man gave that maniac smile to each member of the group.

"Gavn Mitras, adventurer extrodinare. Would any of you happen to be Ace?"

Savannah
2010-03-23, 01:43 AM
Spot rolls:
Eric: [roll0]
Gavn: [roll1]
James: [roll2]
Adi: [roll3]
Nytaghi: [roll4]
Dominic: [roll5]
Aaron: [roll6]
Stanley: [roll7]

DeadManSleeping/Dominic:
You get the feeling that you all are being watched.

Dragero
2010-03-23, 06:39 AM
Eric speaks in a deep, rasping voice telepathicly, slowing down and speeding up at unpredictable times, through everyones mind.

I assume that none of you are this "Ace" character brought us all here?

Oh and in case your wondering, I`m the guy in the trenchcoat with the eye-patch. Name`s Eric.

(Think G-Man From Half-life 2)

ShotgunPete
2010-03-23, 11:39 AM
GM - notes and questions
Indeed, while I'm still finalizing my new characters background I intend for him to live in the woods (1-3 miles or so from town), in a hammock with some tree stands to set his stuff on, and camouflaged caches (maybe 3 or so, I'll inventory my items and see how I'd stash 'em) spread in a 1/2 mile radius from my hammock where I keep my surplus supplies/ammo and anything I've salvaged/repaired/built. Since when I built my character I assumed present time, I figured a Glock would be easy to come by, if you'd like me to choose another firearm since people have had 50 years before I was born to get all the good guns that wouldn't be a problem.

I do have a few questions on how you want to handle the crafting process (and on the setting in general), since the setting kills the system in the book. For instance, crafting a 9mm autoloader is listed as something you can do with craft (mechanical), but you can't build a pistol with a toolkit as described in the equipment section (hand and power tools) unless you had all the spare parts, you would need a mill and lathe (and metal) to build one from scratch. And I would assume in the post-apocalyptic setting I can't just get parts, you would need to machine them as well, then assemble the finished product. Though given the backtrack of technology (no internet unless I could find a cached supply of gun blueprints on some gun nuts old laptop) and the fact that crafting DCs are based on what is advanced relative to the time period, I suspect I should only be able to craft revolvers, pump-action shotguns, and lever-action rifles to market for a while. My silencers were also listed as fabricated purchases based on the idea that I could machine them easily in present time, if I don't have access to the proper tools to make them myself and if you don't think silencers would stand 70 years of abuse I will remove those purchases as well.

A mill and a lathe are beyond the means typical looters, both being quite heavy-duty pieces of machinery so most probably didn't move, and they are also pretty plentiful in a rural/small-town setting. Does the town have access to one I can use, possibly for a weekly or monthly license fee I can purchase. Is electricity generated using small generators (either fuel or kinetic?) or some other way (wind farms) or not at all? Is someone still making gasoline, or is old gas still good and jealously guarded and/or rare? If I managed to find a mill/lathe somewhere in good shape that I could ride to outside of town, I don't suppose someone with decent electrical and mechanical skill could build a bike or treadmill based charger for a power source?

I really like the setting you presented, sorry I have so many nagging questions about it. :smalltongue: A friend of mine has a d20 Apocalypse books for all sorts of post-apocalyptic settings (zombies, aliens, the rapture, etc.) so I suspect it may have some advice on the post-apocalyptic economy. I'm gonna try and track that down.

Savannah
2010-03-23, 01:20 PM
ShotgunPete
What, you actually want me to think logically about the economy and manufacturing?!?! What kind of gamer are you?

Seriously, though, I hadn't thought about it much (I probably should have thought about it more :smalltongue:). Since the settlements/colonies are former small towns, it is quite likely any given piece of heavy machinery can be found in one. You might be able to get access for a fee or else pay a reduced fee for parts from the usual craftsmen. You're probably right about what you should be able to craft; I'm fine with allowing more complex weapons at character creation, however, since you've had plenty of time to find/make them.

Electricity generation varies from colony to colony; the closest one is using waterwheels in a nearby river. If you want a treadmill based generator, someone should be able to make that. Gas is fairly rare; while some are still making it they are few and far between.

You mentioned blueprints on an old laptop. If there's anything else like that that any of you would be interested in salvaging, let me know and you might just find it. (No guarantees, but you never know :smallwink:)

In my list of players in the first post, I've classified everyone as normal, invisibly mutant (mutations only noticible up close or after some time), or visibily mutant (mutations obvious immeadiately). If I've marked you wrong, please let me know.

ShotgunPete
2010-03-23, 05:36 PM
GM
I changed my character to reflect his new background if that's ok: he's sustained himself since a young age as a scrounger and scavenger, and needed skills such as search and navigate to reflect that. Aside from changing to a smart hero, I didn't change any purchases, and only changed the track feat to point blank shot as he's not necessarily a hunter so much as a scavenger right now, and will likely acquire it around level 5-6 from the Wildlord advanced class if I go that path. Aiming for smart/strong or smart/fast for the short term.

Stanley Ratliff (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=194623) (same name but it's a link to a new sheet)

Also, I as long as I am wearing gloves and shoes my wallclimber mutation is not apparent. If I cover my arms my smokescreen mutation would be invisible but possibly useless depending on the ruling, though I imagine if I had a mesh shirt the same color as the vents (I envision them to be small black ports in the skin) or night time someone would have to be real close and make a spot check to tell I had them, while still being functional. Lastly, if I cover my mouth with a bandanna or mask my fangs would be hidden. If I do all three of these things, I should be invisibly mutant, and probably would be if appearing in a town to limit any complications.

Ishikar
2010-03-23, 06:34 PM
Opening one eye as Eric communicates to the group Aaron continues to lean into a niche formed by an old signpost and the trunk of a nearby tree as he speaks.

Well we can see discretion isn't one of your major traits. Showing out so blatantly when there are so many purists about preaching the gospel of "the one true humanity". Not that you really have too much to worry about in this region, I think the last one of those nuts was chased off about eight years ago after he tried to rally the town against Stanley. Idiot was half as charismatic as he thought he was and maybe a tenth as smart.

ShotgunPete
2010-03-23, 07:08 PM
Stanley

Stanley pulled his bandanna off his face and chimed in, speaking with a country drawl but with a hint of intelligence behind it as well as revealing his fangs. "Heh, it's true. For some reason he thought drinking animal blood was a sign of demonic possession or some such. Don't get me wrong, no ones too comfortable with a blood drinking mutant around, but they like buying my bullets and food more than they liked his insane ramblings, and it's not like I ever bit anyone respectable and in good health, heh heh. Armed mutant guards in the town militia really didn't help the poor boys case any neither, he's probably a couple towns over by now or face-down in a ditch. Whoever this Ace fella is though, he's more cosmopolitan-minded than most by the looks of y'all. Any of you know what this friendly gathering is about, by the way?"

DeadManSleeping
2010-03-23, 11:13 PM
Dominic

Dominic leans against a tree. His clothes look plain, even a bit torn up. Only a large multitool and a gun at his belt mark him. His hair appears to be even less tidy than a normal colonist's. He doesn't say anything for a while, but he suddenly looks up and unholsters his gun.

"Bad news. Not sure this gathering is all 'friendly'. Someone's out there."

Meshakhad
2010-03-24, 03:28 AM
"That would be me," Adi said, stepping out of the woods. "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you."

ShotgunPete
2010-03-24, 07:20 PM
Stanley

You think that's what you heard?, Stanley whispered.

If he responds in the negative or doesn't holster his pistol: Stanley will kick off his sneakers and with his hands and feet free, he climbs a nearby tree 10 feet onto a lower branch and unslings his suppressed lever-action rifle, scanning the woods with his blindsight.

Dragero
2010-03-24, 07:52 PM
Eric sits down, concentrating, trying to focus his mind.

After a few seconds of sitting, he lets forth a telepathic message into the surounding woods.

Come out now. We know you`re out there. Show yourself and we will not fire.

Eric then stands up and unslings his Remmington from his back, pointing it into the woods.

Savannah
2010-03-25, 12:08 AM
A figure wrapped in a black cloak steps out of the woods. Its cloak is bulky enough to conceal both its gender and whether it is a mutant. It pauses and looks at you for a moment. When it speaks, its voice is raspy and androgynous.

"I apologize, apparently I was less hidden than I thought. I was merely waiting until you had all arrived. As you may have guessed, I am Ace. You...well, you are those who I think will be able to help me.

"Here is relatively safe. But in other parts of the world Pandora II and Pandora III still exist. Still infect. There are those seeking a vaccine, and those who will pay highly for it. However, those seeking a vaccine require a sample of the infected blood. Pandora II is simple. Those infected retain their minds and can consent to a blood draw. So far, results have been promising. Pandora III, on the other hand, is a much trickier proposition. Getting near a feral is not something that many people are willing to do. Fortunately, blood from a feral not currently in the throes of Pandora III is perfectly acceptable, so you will not risk infection yourself, but again, there is the problem of retrieving the sample.

"That is where the scientists turned to me. And now I turn to you. I chose this area becuase, as I said, the ferals here are not currently infected. I chose you because I believe that you are willing to take the risk. What I want you to do is simple. Fetch me at least three samples of feral blood from different individuals. The blood must be sterile and collected while the feral is alive or within a few moments of death. Also, the individuals sampled cannot be mutants. How you do this is up to you. My clients will pay well. If that is not enough, consider that your risk may help save others from a fate worse than death."

Ace lays a small bag on the rock in the center of the clearing, and then steps back and waits for your reaction.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-25, 12:33 AM
Gavn shrugged, tapping on the handles of Machete's, itching to be going already. He was interested. Not really in the vaccine. It would happen, or it wouldn't. But this sounded at least mildly interesting. Something different then the ruins.

"I'm in. What's in the bag?"

ShotgunPete
2010-03-25, 12:44 AM
Stanley

Stanley re-slung his rifle and swung down to hold the limb he was on with his arms, then dropped the remaining 5 ft or so to the ground. He spoke while putting his sneakers back on:

Honestly mister, I didn't think that kind of altruism or organization existed out in the wastes, I can't say I'm doing anything better with myself at the moment since the scavenging has been drying up so bad. Got a few questions though, as I imagine the others do. I'm guessing in that bag are the sample vials? I got a tranq rifle stashed somewhere and stun guns ain't that hard to come by, I see a few round the circle here, but how will we really know if we're killing pures or mutants. We all know there's mutations we can't see, like One-Eye over there's telepathy, he says while pointing to Eric.

Is the plan to just pop any feral we see without a visible mutation and hope for the best, if so I hope your providing more than three vials. 'Course, I can tell you're a perty on the ball fella', I don't s'pose you have an idea where there's a colony, or whatever you'd call it, of those beasts suitable for your needs? Or is some proper scoutin' in order?

OOC for anyone
I'm going to assume OOC stuff in spoilers, unless directed specifically at someone by the player or DM, or designated by the DM as private, is like OOC chatter at a game table and is heard by everyone.

DM Question: Do life-long locals of the area know in general where ferals and/or gangs congregate? If not, would frequent explorers of the area outside of town know this? I'm not sure of the knowledge check required for that, if any by looking at them.

DeadManSleeping
2010-03-25, 08:22 AM
Dominic

Dominic holsters his pistol only when Ace steps out.

"Just point me at them. I've got no problem killing ferals."

Dragero
2010-03-25, 04:18 PM
Eric Slings his rifle back onto his back.

I those things, Eric says, using his voice for the first time today. You notice it sounds exactly like his telepathic voice. I'll pop their heads off when we're done harvesting thier blood. It was one of them that stole my eye!

Savannah
2010-03-25, 11:59 PM
"Yes, I thought some of you might have...personal...reasons for accepting this mission.

"The bag contains supplies for taking the samples, Gavn. And yes, Stanley, I have provided you with enough to take far more than three samples. In fact, the more you can take, the better. As for whether they are mutants or not, ferals tend to hunt in family packs. If you are attacked by a group containing multiple obvious mutants, the normal looking ones are likely to be mutants as well. In addition, ferals are not exactly subtle; they make no effort to hide their mutations. If, by accident, you do sample a mutant, my clients should be able to pick that up, so it will not affect their results."

Stanley & Gavn
There is a moderately-sized ruined city maybe 40 miles northwest of this colony. Pretty much all scavengers in the area know about it; the suburbs have been stripped. However, the city center houses a decent infestation of ferals and so is largely untouched.

Ishikar
2010-03-26, 12:35 AM
Stepping away from the tree Aaron looks at the cloaked figure closely as he approaches the bag. Kneeling to check it's contents he quickly inventories them before looking back up at their client.

Tell me now Ace, how did you come to know of us so well? I'm not adverse to danger as I've been a bit further out then most gathering intel on the area and Stanley has been out more than I have.

I want to know how long you've been watching us, how you made your choices and just what the full plan is. I can believe a vaccine because it's something we've all wanted, too many have a fate like Adi's or worse, one where a child faces the prospect of turning feral. However there is another line to look into, the type-III in it's mildest form has the effect of dulling a subject's mind and making them more pliable to suggestion and external control Aaron waits briefly for a reaction before continuing.

Now I'll dance to your song and go for the samples but one thing I was taught was to look at the other angles. You may claim to be a humanitarian but there is a terrible danger for someone who had the inclination and resources to refine Pandora into a stable state. With the proper application of types II and III you could make specially crafted soldiers conditioned to unquestioningly follow orders and carve a nation of your own into the wastes that remain. Even more frightening is that you could do it in weeks with the appropriate subjects. Of course it would take time to isolate the mutations and stabilize them, but with 60 years of mutation and evolution you could create a true monster. Take Stanley's abilities, tie in Eric's Telepathy and Adi's natural toughness, then make them by the dozens, push a rigorous enough training into them and even I would be leery of facing them in my home turf. Of course I think I've scared the others enough for now. Perhaps you could explain a little more and show some of the trust in us that you're expecting in return.

Savannah
2010-03-26, 04:37 PM
The bag is cold inside and contains about fifteen empty syringes neatly held in place by clips. You suspect the bag is a microrefrigerator; one of the rarer items found by scavengers.

"Humanitarian? Me? Hardly. My cut is substantial, to say the least.

"There is truth to what you say about the power the Pandora viruses could give. However, I am not stupid; I like the world as it is and I do not want to see a repeat of the disaster that started it all. I believe that my clients have no intent to harness Pandora -- which is why I am working with them, and not with others.

"As for watching you, I selected this colony because it fit my requirements: no active Pandora infestations in the area and enough people that I might find some who would accept my offer. I then asked my informants for the names of those who might be willing and able to do this job for me, and observed those suggested for a short while. Not everyone I contacted responded. This is the third settlement I have recruited at. I make no claim of a grand master plan; I have been contracted to provide feral blood samples and I will do it however I can.

"If you have no more questions, I will take my leave. Good luck."

(Ace pauses to see if you have any further questions. If you do not, Ace turns and walks off into the woods.)

ShotgunPete
2010-03-26, 04:53 PM
Stanley

Once Ace leaves: There's a city 'bout 40 miles or so to the Northwest of here. Wouldn't have to worry 'bout the feral supply up there, if anything there may be too many. I'd say we have the numbers, though. My main concern would be going to far in and getting surrounded, we gotta be careful not to bring the whole city down on us. What's our mode of transport gonna be, by the way, so we can start charting a course on the map? Guess we're walkin'?

DeadManSleeping
2010-03-27, 09:03 AM
Dominic

"Unless you have a magic car hidden in your pocket, there," Dominic says with a shrug.

Dragero
2010-03-27, 10:29 AM
You lead then, Eric says telepathicly to Stanly You're the one who knows where it is.

ShotgunPete
2010-03-27, 10:57 AM
Unless anyone has any objections then, I suppose we'll start overland travel towards the city the next day, to see what we can see. For what could be an extended trip, Stanley returns to his caches first and withdraws some of his supplies into his horse's saddlebags before returning to the designated meeting spot (let's say town) to depart.

Items gathered
Chemical light sticks x20, 10mm ammo x100, .444 ammo x50, subsonic .444 ammo x12, extra batteries for lights, air rifle, tranquilizer darts x20

Onwards to the city and the unexplored! Barring any interesting events on the way, of course...

Savannah
2010-03-27, 06:45 PM
Barring any interesting events on the way, of course...

According to V, there will be exactly one "interesting event". I, however, am not V :smallbiggrin:

Unless anyone else wants to make preparations or objects to the plan, you set off. At first, you are traveling on rough trails used mainly by scavengers, but you soon find an old, overgrown asphalt road heading in about the right direction.

Spot checks:
Eric [roll0]
Gavn [roll1]
Adi [roll2]
Dominic [roll3]
Aaron [roll4]
Stanley [roll5]

Who knows name of town? Gavn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8167047&postcount=963)

After you've followed the old road for a while, Adi and Gavn spot an old, twisted metal sign knocked over in the undergrowth. It reads "Ceadar Grove 35 mi" and has an arrow pointing the direction you've been heading.

Gavn, you're pretty sure that's the name of the town you guys are heading to.

Dragero
2010-03-28, 09:23 AM
Odd how having 1 eye gives me a great spot check......

Along the way, Eric keeps his eye out for useful things he could tinker with. (Note: he uses his X-Ray vision to help him see things)

[roll0] + Possible Bonus from X-ray vision

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-28, 11:40 AM
Gavn has been humming off key for literally the entire walk, only stopping now that he sees the sign.

"Hmmm, so we got about 35 Miles left?"

Gavn shrugged. They'd probably have to stop somewhere before reaching the town. Unfortunate, but what can you do.

Savannah
2010-03-28, 11:57 AM
What kind of useful things? Parts (metal, wiring, etc) or relatively whole objects? So far, you haven't seen anything in either category.

Dragero
2010-03-28, 12:10 PM
Mostly parts, but a few full objects may be a good find.

Edit: Heck, even a single screw could do.

ShotgunPete
2010-03-28, 03:31 PM
OOC - we're on a highway, so I imagine we could find cars to strip of some screws and wiring and what not, but I imagine people would have stripped them of anything useful besides the car body itself. Unfortunately, that takes time, and we wouldn't want to hold up everyone while a couple of us work. Maybe on the way back, if we notice something particularly worthwhile? (or, alternatively, if we sustain heavy damage and have to retreat out of town to heal for a few days, the healthy can scavenge parts :smallwink:)

In the city though, if we have time to dawdle or need to rest for a night, there would be cars in parking structures, much more protected from the elements and decay that you could get superior parts from than the ones on the open road. Depending on how spoiled the city is though, it might be faster just to loot the hardware stores.

DeadManSleeping
2010-03-29, 07:19 AM
OOC - Finding materials is Search, actually. There's a nice scavenging table in d20 Future we can probably use to find out how much we can put towards crafting from any given wreck.

Savannah
2010-03-29, 11:46 AM
It takes you about two days to get to the city. No large animals attack you, but you can hear them in the woods around you and you occasionally spot a deer.

Along the way, you come across a few signs of the road's previous use. A blown tire. The rusted skeleton of a car, long since stripped of anything of value and partially dismantled. Nothing is worth salvaging.

Eventually you come to a house by the side of the road. It is fallen in on itself and the windows and doors have been broken in. The trees and wild plants of the forest have started to take over its yard and grow against the house itself, speeding its destruction.

Ahead, you can see another house in the same state, and beyond that several more. It appears that you have reached the edge of the old city.

ShotgunPete
2010-03-29, 05:13 PM
Since I'm mounted, I'll trot around the exterior of these houses with rifle drawn as we come to them and stay about 50 feet or so ahead of the group as a scout since I can withdraw quickly.

Spot checks if necessary
Spot - [roll0]
Spot - [roll1]
Spot - [roll2]

edit ooc - wow nice two rolls there

Dragero
2010-03-29, 05:25 PM
Eric stays close to the group, his rifle drawn. If anything moves, I`m firing.

Ishikar
2010-03-29, 09:39 PM
As the others fan out Aaron begins moving in towards the buildings, his shotgun ready and in an easy grip while he relies more on his keen spatial awareness granted by his hearing more than his eyes to sense trouble.

Savannah
2010-03-30, 12:29 PM
The houses have clearly been salvaged before; their doors and windows have been broken and, in the ones you can see into, the inside has been stripped even of its siding. The street you are on appears to be a main street, heading further into the city. Smaller side streets branch off, leading to more houses.

You can still hear some animal sounds, and Stanley spots a coyote slinking off, away from the group. There is no movement from the houses, but as you walk, you startle a flock of crows in the trees around the nearest house. They fly off, cawing loudly. In this area, at least, the forest is well on its way to reclaiming the land.

Savannah
2010-03-31, 05:43 PM
Are you guys heading further in to the city or exploring the abandoned houses?

Dragero
2010-03-31, 05:54 PM
Eric searches the houses :P X-Ray vision powers ACTIVATE!!!

[roll1]
[roll]1s20+2

Looking for spare parts (Wires, gears, ect) and items.

Ishikar
2010-03-31, 07:03 PM
Looking over the house and the other nearby ones Aaron shrugs and addresses the group.

Well it doesn't look like there is anyone here, we should probably move on into the city proper, that's where we're likely to find them.

Savannah
2010-04-01, 12:11 AM
house: [roll0]

Listen (Eric: When you approach the nearest house, you can see that most everything of value has been removed. Looking inside from the open doorway where the front door used to hang, you can see a short entry hall with open doorways, also missing their doors, leading further into the house to your right and left and stairs leading up straight ahead. From what you can see, everything movable has been stripped from the house.)

Eric: When you approach the nearest house, you can see that most everything of value has been removed. Looking inside from the open doorway where the front door used to hang, you can see a short entry hall with doorways, also missing their doors, leading further into the house to your right and left and stairs leading up straight ahead. From what you can see, everything movable has been stripped from the house.

From above, you can hear the sounds of movement and soft canine yelps and growls, sounding like a litter of puppies playing.

Dragero
2010-04-01, 06:46 AM
I look through the above floor with X-rays.

Savannah
2010-04-01, 10:30 AM
Looks like three baby coyotes and an adult, who seem to be using a closet as a nest/cave. From what you can see, the upper floor is just as stripped as the lower.

Dragero
2010-04-01, 03:12 PM
I take aim at the mother and fire (Through the floor, I know. As long as it's not cement it should be fine.)

[roll0]
Vs Flatfooted AC

[roll1]

If i kill it, I return to the group. If not, well, lets see what happens.

Savannah
2010-04-01, 03:51 PM
Just so that we are clear, there's three puppies romping around and the mother appears to not be aware of you. As far as you can tell, there's nothing of value in this house and you could leave without the coyotes attacking. Are you still going to shoot?

Dragero
2010-04-01, 04:18 PM
Yup! I Need the Xp!!!

I'm an ass, aren't I?

Edit: Now that I think of it, I have as much time to aim as I like.....Was the rolls even necicary? It`s practicaly a Coupe De Grace!

ShotgunPete
2010-04-01, 09:50 PM
Hearing the shot Stanley rides back to the house, shouting "What have we got?". As he closes to the open doorway he dismounts, leaving the rifle stowed in his saddle and drawing his glock as he peers into the house.

Savannah
2010-04-01, 11:08 PM
Yup! I Need the Xp!!!

I'm an ass, aren't I?

Edit: Now that I think of it, I have as much time to aim as I like.....Was the rolls even necicary? It`s practicaly a Coupe De Grace!

Yes, yes you are an ass. If you had gone upstairs,the mother would have attacked you, at which point killing her would be reasonable. However, you have absolutely no in-character reason to kill her, except for being an ass. She is not a threat to you. She is not interfering with you in any way. I've been debating how to answer this ever since you posted, because I am not at all comfortable with it. To be honest, I did not anticipate my reaction as I was fine with you killing her in battle. (I never considered that you would want to kill her just for the hell of it.)

If you want to play Eric as an ass, that's fine. There were never any coyotes in the building and I'll make sure there isn't another situation like this in the future. If you want to back out of the building without shooting, that's even better.

Dragero
2010-04-02, 08:08 AM
Ok fine, I don`t shoot them.

It`s just eric pretty much hates everything, hence the bit in his char sheet about "Hating Everything".

----------------
Anyways.......

Your ears must be playing tricks on you, no gunshots here.

ShotgunPete
2010-04-02, 09:00 AM
Hmmm.... lets go then, and Stanley moves to clear the other 2 houses.

If nothing is found, I'll hop back on the horse and move out scouting like before.

Meshakhad
2010-04-02, 03:21 PM
Adi keeps her eye on Eric as they walk out.

Savannah
2010-04-04, 07:52 PM
Sorry about that, guys, I was really stressed out last week and I responded more strongly than I should have.
Now, back to the game...

As you head deeper into the city, the animal sounds gradually die out. The houses have still clearly been scavenged, but you can see that the more difficult to move items are still there - as if the scavengers were grabbing whatever they could and running. Ahead, you can see taller buildings, presumably the former downtown area.

You could look into the houses here or head even further in. There is no sign of life in the immediate area.

ShotgunPete
2010-04-04, 10:10 PM
Stanley noticed the houses looked ransacked as he rode by and returned to the group, "Everything looks looted in there but the heavy stuff is still in place, Eric you might wanna give the outside of them houses a once-around with your x-ray vision from the outside and look for safes or hidden compartments someone might'a missed, otherwise I wouldn't expect to find anything worth your time."

If someone searches a house for whatever reason, Stanley will position himself at the doorway with his glock and stun gun drawn before anyone enters and attempt to detect anything inside via scent. He will move directly behind whoever is clearing the rooms as cover, while taking 10 on move silently checks (for 15 total).

Once we're done with the houses, I'll resume my position as forward scout on horseback with rifle drawn, about 50 feet in front of the group.

Ishikar
2010-04-04, 11:03 PM
Looking through the ruins Aaron takes a few moments to shift his shotgun from his back straps into his secured location on his chest and takes his pistol in hand.

Hmm... this place is kinda creepy. So many buildings and nobody here. I'd feel more at ease if plants and animals were starting to reclaim some of it.

Dragero
2010-04-05, 08:57 AM
Eric begins x-raying the outsides of the houses.

[roll0]

Savannah
2010-04-05, 11:11 AM
For the most part, all you see inside are large appliances and furniture. In a couple of houses, however, it looks as if areas not been completely looted.

House 1 (read if you go in)
No one seems to have hit the kitchen yet. The dishes are still in the cabinets, as are all the usual cooking supplies. Most of the food is completely inedible, of course, but you manage to find some preserved items that should still be good.

House 2 (read if you go in)
Most of this house has been looted, and it looks like someone was in the process of removing the electrical wiring. However, they seem to have left in a hurry, leaving their toolkit behind.

Dragero
2010-04-05, 11:15 AM
Eric goes into house 1, and grabs as much food as he can.

ShotgunPete
2010-04-05, 11:23 AM
Stanley searches the second house, having not picked up the scent of something known to him. He finds an electrical toolkit, and places it in his mount's saddlebags.

Savannah
2010-04-05, 12:17 PM
Very basic CR 1/2 fast feral (no mutations):
Initiative: +2
AC: 15
HP: 9
Attack: clawing/biting +2 (1d6+2)
F/R/W: +1/+3/+0
Speed: 35’
Balance +6, Escape artist +6, Hide +6, Tumble +6
Can make 3 attacks of opportunity/round

Spot [roll0] and Listen [roll1]

Stanley, would you please roll Spot and Listen?

ShotgunPete
2010-04-05, 12:36 PM
rolls
Listen - [roll0]
I had to double check in the MM, but Blindsight makes Spot checks irrelevant, as well as listen checks if I have line of effect. Between that and scent, I'm kinda hard to sneak up on :smallwink:
Initiative if necessary - [roll1]

Savannah
2010-04-05, 02:05 PM
Guess that's what happens when I post without checking my player's sheets first!

As soon as you walk into the house, you catch a whiff of unwashed human. The house is two stories and rather large and you can see the electrical wiring and toolkit in a room to your right.

ShotgunPete
2010-04-05, 02:51 PM
Stanley attempts signal a party member for backup with a hiss as he smells what could be a dirty human. Maybe he left that toolkit there when he spotted our entourage and made for a hiding spot, gotta be careful, could be someone armed.

If it wasn't for that toolkit, Stanley would assume it was a feral and fire a couple shots from further back to try and scare the beast outside. But assuming worst-case scenario that there is a gun-wielding scavenger inside and not wanting to engage in a gun fight if at all possible, he shouts inside, "We know your in there! We have the place surrounded! Come on out and we won't hurt ya!"

With that he waits inside for 2 rounds, 5ft off to left of the entrance so someone else can see in, with his glock pointed in the direction he thinks the smell is coming from, ready to fire if something hostile emerges. If nothing emerges he'll move towards the scent, taking 10+5 to move silently.

Savannah
2010-04-05, 09:10 PM
Further back in the house, you can see a staircase leading upstairs. After you have waited a moment, an unkempt young woman comes down from above and freezes when she spots you. Her long, knotted black hair does not conceal the fact that she is naked, nor the scars covering her body. She stares at you with wild eyes for a second, then launches herself over the banister towards you, snarling.

Initiative: [roll0]

ShotgunPete
2010-04-05, 09:25 PM
Initiative - [roll0]

We both started combat at the same time so no surprise round, as I wasn't prepared to shoot until I saw naked aggression, but I had a readied action to fire if something became hostile.

Attack [roll1] - Damage [roll2]

*blows on dice*

edit: crappy attack, but I'd given up on winning initiative in the planning I was doing, so bonus on that :smallamused:

ShotgunPete
2010-04-05, 09:37 PM
Stanley fires off a shot as the thing that was once a woman lunged for him, and fires off another shot as he runs outside as she climbs over the banister in pursuit. Turning immediately after the second shot so that he didn't even see if it hit, Stanley ran outside yelling, "Feral right behind me! Feral right behind me!!!"

rollsStandard: Attack [roll0] - Damage [roll1]
Move: Move 30 feet straight out the door.
Free: Yelling at allies

Ishikar
2010-04-06, 12:15 AM
After hearing the gunshots and seeing Stanley come running from the doorway Aaron drops his pistol and rotates his shotgun up and into position and calls out a warning.

Firing high!!

Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Savannah
2010-04-06, 12:27 PM
"Feral right behind me! Feral right behind me!!!"

I don't know why that makes me laugh, but it does. If anyone else wants to get in on this fight, go ahead and roll initiative. (And act if you are faster than her.) I'll post the feral's action tonight.

Dragero
2010-04-06, 02:17 PM
Nice new avatar Savannah!

Initiative:
[roll0]

Hmm :(

Savannah
2010-04-06, 08:36 PM
Nice new avatar Savannah!

Thanks, I made her myself! (Well, based off Haley just after her hair got cut.) Savannah was my decker (i.e. computer hacker and cyberspace expert) character from a ShadowRun based GURPS game, so I think it's appropriate to use her name and likeness online.
...resisting urge to reminisce about past characters...

The feral woman comes charging out after Stanley, but is not able to attack this round. She is currently right next to him, and they are both out in the open.

Unless anyone objects, I'm going to run rounds like this:
anyone who beats the enemies' initiative
enemies
everyone
enemies
etc

I think that will speed up combat, since you don't have to act exactly in turn. (This means that you can all act now.)

ShotgunPete
2010-04-06, 09:05 PM
I beat her initiative and it's now round 2 (no one else was aware in round 1 until I ran out and yelled so it's over), so I'll go ahead if I'm interpreting that right.

Stanley ducks under the feral's reach as she closes in, crouch-stepping backwards a few feet. As he rises back up he lines up a shot against his flailing opponent and fires, thinking to himself third times a charm...

Move: 5 foot step away from the feral.
Standard: Attack [roll0] - Damage [roll1]
Free: Lowers bandanna on face with his left hand, exposing fangs.

edit ooc - giggity :smallsmile:

Dragero
2010-04-07, 06:36 AM
Remember people: Don`t kill it! It doesn`t appear to be mutated, so we should try to extract a sample!

Savannah
2010-04-07, 10:41 AM
Stanley's shot hits the feral in the side, severely injuring her.

Drager0, was that your action, or did you still want to do something before she acts?

current hp: 2

Meshakhad
2010-04-07, 12:09 PM
Adi draws her gun and trains it on the creature, ready to shoot if it attacks.

Dragero
2010-04-07, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I was just reminding people :P

Eric whips the cover off his cane, revealing a gleaming metal sword underneath. He charges at the feral, trying to hit it in a non-lethal spot.

Trying for non-lethal is -2, right?

[roll0]
[roll1]

ShotgunPete
2010-04-07, 03:33 PM
OOC - non-lethal is -4 to attack, but honestly it shouldn't be a problem not pulling your punches. It's not really dead until it's at -10 HP, so if someone else shoots him it'll be 4 or 5 rounds most likely before it bleeds out. And if someone gets a crit and absolutely destroys him, I'm sure we'll find more. :smallwink: edit: and that 15 ac is rough too.

Savannah
2010-04-07, 06:05 PM
Eric misses the feral.

Adi and Aaron have rolled initiative, but have not acted, so if you guys still want to act this round, now is the time.

Savannah
2010-04-08, 03:59 PM
The feral turns towards Eric with a snarl. She lunges, clawing and biting frantically.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Dragero
2010-04-08, 04:19 PM
Thats a hit :(

Now it's everybody who beat the enemys initiavtive right?

Savannah
2010-04-08, 04:25 PM
Now it should be everyone, regardless of initiative. Stanley got to act first, then the feral chased him out, then everyone went (or have not posted in about 21 hours), then the feral went, then everyone gets to go again... If I messed up somewhere, let me know.

Or in shorter terms - all players: attack or flee as desired!

ShotgunPete
2010-04-08, 07:03 PM
Stanley maneuvers so that he has a clear shot and fires off another round, cursing the ferals quick and jerky movements.

Move: 5ft step away, or move however I need to if someone is blocking my line of fire.
Standard: Firing at the feral (I keep wanting to say ghoul) [roll0] - Damage [roll1]

edit: If that drops it I quickly run up and use my vial to gather it's blood. One that is secure, Stanley turns to the group, "Those of you with weak constitutions may want to your heads." He doesn't wait to explain himself, he just kneels next to the feral and drinks about a pint of blood, which should kill it if it isn't dead already.

Savannah
2010-04-08, 08:03 PM
Even accounting for the fact that you have to shoot carefully to avoid hitting Eric, you shoot the feral, dropping it to the ground. You are able to draw blood in the vial, and you kill it with your blood drain.

OOC: I hadn't thought of a ghoul connection. Ferals are actually loosely based on Firefly reavers.

ShotgunPete
2010-04-08, 08:39 PM
Oooh, nice, big fan! :smallsmile: I was assuming it was a 28 days later style infected until educated otherwise, but reavers are a good template to shoot for. Forgot Eric was in melee though, should have used the tazer with a secondary bit attack (though it woulda only hit on a 20).

Ishikar
2010-04-10, 12:21 AM
Well there's one of the first that we need. Didn't think the buggers could move quite that fast through. He bends down to pick up his dropped weapon and inspects it before holstering it.

Perhaps we should keep moving in more unless you think there may be more around here?

Savannah
2010-04-10, 07:16 PM
XP: 75 to everyone who participated (includes just rolling initiative).

What are you going to do now? (Go back in the house for the toolkit? Head further in? Search around here for other ferals? Something else entirely?)

ShotgunPete
2010-04-11, 02:06 PM
Stanley will finish exploring the house, collecting the toolkit and looking for anything else of value (aside from the unstriped wiring, we don't have time for that). After that, unless anyone wants to search any more houses, I say we progress towards the city.

Dragero
2010-04-11, 02:46 PM
Eric heads back to the other house, and finnishes colecting food.

Savannah
2010-04-12, 07:44 PM
You don't find anything else of interest in the house the feral was living in. As far as you can tell, she was the only one living in it.

Eric can pick up enough food to feed someone for [roll0] days. The rest is spoiled.

Dragero
2010-04-15, 06:13 PM
Taking the food out of the home, eric says,

How bout we get going? This place smells funny.

Dragero
2010-04-18, 07:35 PM
Lets get going people!

Savannah
2010-04-19, 04:18 AM
Just realized that I hadn't posted a reply. It's 2:30 am here and I have a test tomorrow (thus the up at 2:30), so I don't have time to find my notes right now, but if I don't post with an update in 24 hours, bug me until I do. Sorry I keep forgetting you guys. :smallredface:

Dragero
2010-04-22, 05:51 PM
Hello?

Anybody here?

I feel lonely :*(

Savannah
2010-04-23, 11:46 PM
Sorry, Drager0. I've been sick and I seem to have lost a fair amount of my notes for this. I'm mapping a bit of the city now, so that you will actually have something to do.

Savannah
2010-04-29, 10:37 AM
*Ahem* I’m back. I've got a map of the city and will be going with the Make-Stuff-Up-As-I-Go (tm) method of DMing. (I've got a bunch of ideas, too, but I don't have everything planned the way I like to :smallwink:) And now, back to the action!

Following the main road towards town, you soon cross a bridge spanning a slow-moving and muddy river and find yourselves in the downtown area. This area is unlikely to have been looted much, as it has the closely packed buildings that ferals seem to prefer.

To your right, there is a large open parking lot in front of what appears to have once been a large shopping mall. To the left, there is a single large store. The lettering on the front reads: "B_ _ _ o _ ld". (Underlines are missing letters.) Further down the road, there is a vehicle sitting in the middle of the road.

Dragero
2010-05-03, 03:15 PM
Eric looks around under the bridge, you never know where a troll might be hiding.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Savannah
2010-05-03, 03:19 PM
No trolls. It was once a highway bridge, so all you see is a series of concrete pylons sunk into the river.