PDA

View Full Version : Switching 2h to 1h during a FA?

Panigg
2010-03-23, 02:04 AM
Hello,

I'm currently playing a rather flexible fighter that has a Maul, which can be used two handed or one handed. It basically is a bastard sword but with bludgeoning damage. For this reason he is also wearing a buckler.

Now I was thinking about this, I can in theory, attack twice with the weapon in both hands (BaB7) and drop the weapon, to get the benefit of the buckler AC.

Wouldn't I just be able to switch it back to one hand, before the end of my turn?

The one feat that would potentially help in doing so is quick draw, which I have.

So, any opinions?

Harperfan7
2010-03-23, 02:06 AM
No, any round in which you attack with a two handed weapon (that is, in a two handed fashion), you lose the bucklers ac bonus. Bucklers also impose a -1 penalty on attacks if you use them with two handed weapons.

Panigg
2010-03-23, 02:26 AM
Yeah... why didn't I look where it made sense first?

"In any case, if you use a weapon in your off hand, you don’t get the buckler’s AC bonus for the rest of the round. "

Of course it doesn't work. Thanks. :)

John Campbell
2010-03-23, 04:02 AM
You just need a feat for it. Improved Buckler Defense.

balistafreak
2010-03-23, 08:10 AM
To be fair, burning a feat on +1 AC is not my idea of efficent feat usage. :smallannoyed: Sure, at low levels it might seem worth it, but at higher levels you'll look at the puny square of metal and wood on your arm and ask, "What was I thinking?"

Although I suppose you could cram other enchantments onto that shield as you please, which doesn't make it useless...

But then again you could (once you reach the appropriate level) just get an animated large/tower shield and your two-handed weapon and call it a day. Isn't that the standard operating procedure?