PDA

View Full Version : Constructor Question

Volthawk
2010-03-23, 11:24 AM
Looking at the Constructor (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20020727a), I noticed it had this as a requirement:

Manifesting: Ability to manifest the following powers: astral construct I, astral construct II, and astral construct III.

Does that mean being able to create constructs of that level?

Xallace
2010-03-23, 11:26 AM
Yeah, you're looking at the 3.0 version, stuff looked a little different. I'll see if I can find the 3.5 version for you.

Edit: Bada Boom. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625b)
Edit2: Retro-ninja'd?

Volthawk
Sorry, answered my own question by looking at the download.

There they use the numerals.

The Glyphstone
You've got the 3.0 version. It was rewritten for 3.5:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625b

Bah, semininjaed.

Volthawk
2010-03-23, 11:27 AM
Oh, right. Thanks!

Looks like I can't use it yet anyway...

EDIT: Another question:

Etopic Adept or Constructor?

It's for a level 6, so should I wait till next level and start Constructor, or start Etopic Adept?

Faleldir
2010-03-23, 11:40 AM
If you're optimizing Astral Construct, you're probably using the XPH version, so Ectopic Adept does nothing.

Optimystik
2010-03-23, 11:44 AM
Etopic Adept or Constructor?

Ectopic Adept was a stealth-nerf to Astral Construct printed in CPsi. They needlessly removed a lot of the power's functionality, then required you to take a PrC to get it back.

My advice is to not even mention Ectopic Adept to your DM. Stick with the XPH version of the AC power.

Volthawk
2010-03-23, 11:44 AM
If you're optimizing Astral Construct, you're probably using the XPH version, so Ectopic Adept does nothing.

Dunno if we are. I'll ask the DM.

Optimystik
2010-03-23, 11:45 AM
Dunno if we are. I'll ask the DM.

*points frantically at his last post*

Volthawk
2010-03-23, 11:46 AM
*points frantically at his last post*

You posted that just before I hit submit.

Oh, and I already PM'd him.

Optimystik
2010-03-23, 11:48 AM
You posted that just before I hit submit.

Oh, and I already PM'd him.

Oh well :smalltongue: hopefully he's a nice guy then, and doesn't take WotC's idea of "balance" as gospel.

Volthawk
2010-03-23, 11:48 AM
Oh well :smalltongue: hopefully he's a nice guy then, and doesn't take WotC's idea of "balance" as gospel.

No reply yet, so....

Yeah, hopefully.

Is Skin of the Construct decent?

EDIT: He said:

Sure and how about each additional construct you make has -1 round duration. So first 1 has 6 rounds, second has 5, third has 4. I won't make a minimum unless it gets too confusing.

Trekkin
2010-03-23, 05:25 PM
Good houserule. In future, it may help to know that said "only one construct" rule has its roots in one writer ticked off at abuse by a shaper. Normally, it's not unbalancing to have as many as you can crank out-- every one you make is effectively gone for that day.

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-23, 07:28 PM
Good houserule. In future, it may help to know that said "only one construct" rule has its roots in one writer ticked off at abuse by a shaper. Normally, it's not unbalancing to have as many as you can crank out-- every one you make is effectively gone for that day.It was a wilder using wild surge to make a single really powerful construct.

Which, for the record, the nerf did absolutely nothing about whatsoever.

Also, avoid ectopic anything like the plague headcrabs.

Draz74
2010-03-23, 09:51 PM
Does the CPsi nerf do anything besides add in the one-at-a-time rule? Because if that's all, then it's really not very painful to my preferred style of Psion. (I'd rather just manifest one big tough Astral Construct, then use other psionic powers with my other actions; I don't want to have to keep track of lots of critters.)

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-23, 09:55 PM
Does the CPsi nerf do anything besides add in the one-at-a-time rule? Because if that's all, then it's really not very painful to my preferred style of Psion. (I'd rather just manifest one big tough Astral Construct, then use other psionic powers with my other actions; I don't want to have to keep track of lots of critters.)Not really, no, but there are times when having lots of identical little constructs comes in really handy (see my post in the "I risked my life...for THAT?!" thread, and also Aid Another checks to one big construct for massive grapple bonuses).

Plus, it makes some of your constructor abilities useless (ie, your utility construct forces you to forgo most of your class abilities for 1 hour/lvl, and the multi-construct ability is now totally defunct).

Draz74
2010-03-23, 10:02 PM
Not really, no, but there are times when having lots of identical little constructs comes in really handy (see my post in the "I risked my life...for THAT?!" thread, and also Aid Another checks to one big construct for massive grapple bonuses).
Hmmm. I'm prejudiced against using multiple Constructs to get Aid Another bonuses anyway; I've seen too much cheese done with this trick to believe easily that it also has legit uses. :smallsmile:

Plus, it makes some of your constructor abilities useless (ie, your utility construct forces you to forgo most of your class abilities for 1 hour/lvl, and the multi-construct ability is now totally defunct).

What multi-construct ability?

And if Constructor is allowed and the CPsi AC nerf is in effect, then making Utility Construct an exception to the rule seems like just as obvious a houserule as making Monks proficient with unarmed strikes. :smalltongue:

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-23, 10:06 PM
Enhanced Construction: At 9th level, the constructor gains added flexibility and greater efficiency when manifesting astral construct. When manifesting astral construct, she can add the following augmentation to the power.

Augment: For every 2 power points you spend, an additional construct is created. The additional construct's level equals that of the first construct created. You can create up to three additional constructs per manifestation. Additional constructs have the same menu selections as the first construct.

For example, a constructor can spend 17 power points manifesting astral construct: 1 to manifest the power, 14 power points to augment the level of the first construct to 8th level, and 2 power points to create a second 8th-level construct.That ability.

[edit] Also, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having multiples on the field; hell, they added summoning powers that specifically bring multiple critters out at the same time, in the same book.

Draz74
2010-03-24, 12:37 AM
That ability.
Ah, right. Thanks. Brain fart. So, my same comment about being a super-obvious houserule applies to this too.

[edit] Also, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having multiples on the field; hell, they added summoning powers that specifically bring multiple critters out at the same time, in the same book.

See, personally, I'd say there is something wrong with it. It slows the game down and makes the other players feel like they have to wait a year in between each combat turn.

It's no worse than a Dread Necromancer with an undead horde or a Druid who gets too happy with SNA, mind you. And it's not actually overpowered (well, no more than any Nova tactic). But there is "something wrong with it" in my playstyle, no matter what book it was introduced or reintroduced in. :smallwink: