PDA

View Full Version : Building Sasaki Kojiro or Miyamoto Musashi <3.5>

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-23, 01:00 PM
Yes, I get I'm giving a lot of build requests, but my DM is picky on what he allows, yet he suggested Miyamoto Musashi and I later questioned Sasaki Kojiro. So who should I do?

Musashi: Human OA Samurai 8/Kensei 5/Unarmed Swordsage 7 (focused on TWF with 2 mithril katanas)

Kojiro: Human OA Samurai 7/Kensei 3/Master Samurai 5/Dragon Samurai 5 (Focused on two handed combat while finessing a Nodachi)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-23, 01:04 PM
What is the difference between OA and CW samurai?

Also if musashi is a dual wielder, why are you using unarmed swordsage?

KillianHawkeye
2010-03-23, 01:06 PM
Historically, Musashi mostly wielded a katana with a wakizashi, not 2 katanas.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-23, 01:12 PM
Historically, Musashi mostly wielded a katana with a wakizashi, not 2 katanas.

I was told he used two katanas, since his wakizashi was nearly as long as his katana.

The difference between OA and CW is OA gets bonus feats as a Fighter for all but first level (You get a free katana/wakizashi instead, which on off levels gets magical enhancement)

and Miyamoto Musashi was also a master of Judo, so I wanted to incorperate both into the build.

KillianHawkeye
2010-03-23, 01:39 PM
I was told he used two katanas, since his wakizashi was nearly as long as his katana.

Hmm, I don't know anything about the actual length of his swords, only that they are described as being a katana and a wakizashi. Also, his style is described as being "one long and one short sword," as opposed to a 2 long, 2 short, or single sword style. YMMV.

EDIT: I guess it depends on if you are basing this build on historical Musashi or video game Musashi? While the Musashi games are fairly good, they don't really depict anything resembling historical accuracy.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-23, 01:41 PM
Hmm, I don't know anything about the actual length of his swords, only that they are described as being a katana and a wakizashi. Also, his style is described as being "one long and one short sword," as opposed to a 2 long, 2 short, or single sword style. YMMV.

;p

whatever. Which is better: One Fast Big Sword or Two Swords

KillianHawkeye
2010-03-23, 01:44 PM
;Which is better: One Fast Big Sword or Two Swords

Well, Musashi would say that it was better to have two swords. :smallwink:

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-23, 01:46 PM
didn't he also use wooden swords because metal ones where killing his opponits to quickly and there bodies didn't relise they where dead?

edit:

also i liek the book musashi the best.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-23, 01:46 PM
Well, Musashi would say that it was better to have two swords. :smallwink:

By D&D. I know what Musashi-Sensei would say...

and remember, he beat Kojiro with one "sword"

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-23, 01:47 PM
didn't he also use wooden swords because metal ones where killing his opponits to quickly and there bodies didn't relise they where dead?

and sort of.

He did that for too reasons: first, what u said. and second, because he was so good that he wanted to give his opponent a chance

KillianHawkeye
2010-03-23, 02:16 PM

and remember, he beat Kojiro with one "sword"

I hadn't heard that. I have to admit that I haven't done much historical research into the subject. Rather, most of my information comes from reading The Book of Five Rings (which was written by Musashi himself), and it has been a few years since I have done so.

As far as the one big sword vs two swords, most optimizers around here will tell you it's best to wield a two-handed weapon with Power Attack for MASSIVE DAMAGE!!!! Two-Weapon Fighting has the drawbacks of having to stand still to get all your attacks, and taking a minor to-hit penalty. TWFing is generally considered to only be worth it if you are able to get some form of bonus damage (such as Sneak Attack) or possibly if you are focused on getting critical hits; unless of course you gain pounce or some other means of moving and getting a full attack, in which case the major drawback of TWFing is removed.

Beowulf DW
2010-03-23, 02:45 PM
Musashi beat Kojiro using a wooden sword that was as long as Kojiro's sword. It wasn't actually a fight between a dual-wielder and a BFS-wielder. Additionally, there's still a debate over whether or not Musashi cheated by waiting for the sun to get to the proper angle to blind Kojiro.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, Musashi used his katana-wakisashi combo only when he was out-numbered. In one-on-one duels, Mushashi preferred the two-handed grip on a regular katana

Ormagoden
2010-03-23, 02:51 PM
Please please please read these before you post any further...some parts of this thread actually makes me cringe!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyamoto_Musashi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasaki_Kojiro

atleast they might help a little...

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-24, 11:40 AM
Well, I see that by Law of D&D, Kojiro deals more damage, while Musashi has a better chance to deal damage.

And I reread Musashi's style. It was a Wakizashi that was almost a Longsword vs a Shortsword

well, that's egg on my face...

deuxhero
2010-03-24, 11:41 AM
Was OA samurai the NPC class or the really poor PC class?

Make it warblade instead.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-24, 11:43 AM
Was OA samurai the NPC class or the really poor PC class?

Make it warblade instead.

The CW version sucked horribly, while OA is basically fighter with free magic weapons.

and my DM banned ToB classes

deuxhero
2010-03-24, 12:18 PM
Then how does the first build have Unarmed swordsage levels?

Thespianus
2010-03-24, 03:18 PM
Please please please read these before you post any further...some parts of this thread actually makes me cringe!

I was struck by temporary blindness at the word "judo" earlier on. ;)

drakir_nosslin
2010-03-24, 05:05 PM
Shouldn't Iaijutsu Master be in the Musashi build?

AbyssKnight
2010-03-24, 05:34 PM
Hmm....For Musashi, how about...

LN Human CW Samurai 2/OA Samurai 2/Monk 2/Mirumoto Niten 10/Tempest 4

EWP Bastard Sword, Two Weapon Fighting from CW Samurai
Ancestral Daisho and Spring Attack from OA Samurai
Improved Grapple, Improved Unarmed Strike, and Combat Reflexes from Monk

Dogde (human), Mobility (1), Combat Expertise (3), Improved Two Weapon Fighting (6); 9, 12, 15, and 18 open