PDA

View Full Version : Double Speed Music

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-23, 04:17 PM
May not work with everyone's musical choices, but with my MP3 collection at least listening to it at double speed is amazing. Everything just sounds better, like it should have been that way all the time.

Anyone else ever do this?

K-B

Weezer
2010-03-23, 04:42 PM
Now I'm curious to see how it'd sound, what do you use to get it to play at 2x speed?

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-23, 04:49 PM
Now I'm curious to see how it'd sound, what do you use to get it to play at 2x speed?

Windows Media Player.

CTRL+SHIFT+G doubles speed, +S halves it, +N returns it to normal.

Ravens_cry
2010-03-23, 04:49 PM
No, but I have played the same song on two players in almost sync to get an echo effect that can be most pleasant.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-23, 04:50 PM
No, but I have played the same song on two players in almost sync to get an echo effect that can be most pleasant.

I like this idea. Will try it.

Starfols
2010-03-23, 04:54 PM
Oh my god, you're right! :smalleek::smallsmile:

I was thinking you were suggesting to change the pitch, for some reason.

Edit: Dragonforce and some techno & alternative just sound silly.

Weezer
2010-03-23, 05:03 PM
I think it's good for some songs, bad for most. Most songs are at the speed and tempo that they are for a reason, to catch the mood of the music. When you speed it up you lose a lot of that. But even saying that some things did sound pretty cool, especially some of Hendricks' solos.

Starfols
2010-03-23, 05:11 PM
I think it's good for some songs, bad for most. Most songs are at the speed and tempo that they are for a reason, to catch the mood of the music. When you speed it up you lose a lot of that. But even saying that some things did sound pretty cool, especially some of Hendricks' solos.

I disagree. I don't thing most songs convey a message with their speed. Pacing within the song is important, but not the speed of the song itself. I suppose it could interfere with some slower songs, but it depends on the specific song. (What Sarah Said (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5W3RhkI2SU) is okay, No Children (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRP6egIEABk) isn't)

Edit: Oh, and none of the songs by Hurt gel at 2X speed. :smallannoyed:

Catch
2010-03-23, 05:24 PM
Huh. Something WMP can do that iTune's can't. Got Quicktime to work, though.

Usually, it sounds terrible unless you can get the chipmunk effect going (AFI is hilarious this way), but that's possible without changing the song tempo. Basically, techno is the only type of music where you can double the tempo and expect it to still sound alright.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-23, 05:29 PM
Huh. Something WMP can do that iTune's can't. Got Quicktime to work, though.

Usually, it sounds terrible unless you can get the chipmunk effect going (AFI is hilarious this way), but that's possible without changing the song tempo. Basically, techno is the only type of music where you can double the tempo and expect it to still sound alright.

I've played Bon Jovi and Regina Spektor double speed and both sounded brilliant.

Not saying your wrong, it's your opinion after all.

Makensha
2010-03-23, 05:59 PM
I generally find slow songs play well at double speed and fast song play well at half speed. Listen to Rain of a Thousand Flames (Rhapsody) at half speed. Could very well have been made that way with some minor edits. Mid tempo songs probably just shouldn't be messed with.

Weezer
2010-03-23, 06:35 PM
I disagree. I don't thing most songs convey a message with their speed. Pacing within the song is important, but not the speed of the song itself. I suppose it could interfere with some slower songs, but it depends on the specific song. (What Sarah Said (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5W3RhkI2SU) is okay, No Children (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRP6egIEABk) isn't)

Edit: Oh, and none of the songs by Hurt gel at 2X speed. :smallannoyed:

It could be that most of my music is on the slower end of the spectrum (and also include some Hurt as well). But yes I agree it is very dependent on which song it is