PDA

View Full Version : Ranged Flanking

Geiger Counter
2010-03-23, 05:00 PM
Is it possible to flank a creature from a distance, at least according to this guy.

There are no abilities that show any sort of synergy beyond distracting companion, which can be solved by being within 30ft of a target with a ranged weapon and have your pet flank it.

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-23, 05:04 PM
Is it possible to flank a creature from a distance, at least according to this guy.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146351

Are you ****ing kidding me? Starting a thread just to promote your crappy homebrew? Somebody please lock this.

HunterOfJello
2010-03-23, 05:07 PM
Did you actually just link to your own homebrew? You could at least make a dummy account for self-promoting.

Iban
2010-03-23, 05:20 PM
[sarcasm ] Subtle [/sarcasm ]

xD

Even I'm not that bad lol

Grumman
2010-03-23, 05:33 PM
If not for the fact that the OP has no shame or dignity and was just lying to get attention for his homebrew, I'd suggest the Distracting Shot ACF for the ranger (replacing the animal companion at 4th level).

The Dark Fiddler
2010-03-23, 06:25 PM
Uhh... I'll admit it took me a moment, but you guys seem to be missing exactly what he was trying to point out (admittedly, that is OP's fault. Next time, try quoting the relevant text like I'm about to):

There are no abilities that show any sort of synergy beyond distracting companion, which can be solved by being within 30ft of a target with a ranged weapon and have your pet flank it.

NEO|Phyte
2010-03-23, 06:39 PM
Problem with ranged flanking is that you have to threaten the creature from opposite sides to flank it, and you only threaten squares into which you can make melee attacks. That said, a Bloodstorm Blade can use Thunderous Throw to be able to do exactly that, but only during his turn if he uses a swift action to activate it.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-03-23, 06:43 PM
That said, a Bloodstorm Blade can use Thunderous Throw to be able to do exactly that, but only during his turn if he uses a swift action to activate it.

Bloodstorm Blade/Rogue?

"Sneak Attack, BITCH! *Throws Great-Axe*

Geiger Counter
2010-03-23, 06:58 PM
Problem with ranged flanking is that you have to threaten the creature from opposite sides to flank it, and you only threaten squares into which you can make melee attacks. That said, a Bloodstorm Blade can use Thunderous Throw to be able to do exactly that, but only during his turn if he uses a swift action to activate it.

I didn't think ranged weapons threaten, doesn't using a ranged weapon while threatened provoke an attack of opportunity? Can you point out the rules for this to me. It is a legitimate question.

Also whats with all the paranoia It makes no sense. If people aren't willing to look at your homebrew in it's usual forum what are the chances people would click the link in this forum.

NEO|Phyte
2010-03-23, 07:02 PM
I didn't think ranged weapons threaten, doesn't using a ranged weapon while threatened provoke an attack of opportunity? Can you point out the rules for this to me. It is a legitimate question.

Ranged weapons DON'T threaten (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm#threatenedSquares) and do provoke (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#standardActions) (look at the table along the right side, third from the top), but Thunderous Throw lets a Bloodstorm Blade treat ranged attacks with thrown weapons as melee attacks. It's a ToB class, so I can't easily point to the rules.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-03-23, 07:10 PM

He just said; it's a special ability of the Bloodstorm Blade prestige class from Tome of Battle.

Also whats with all the paranoia It makes no sense. If people aren't willing to look at your homebrew in it's usual forum what are the chances people would click the link in this forum.

The problem is that you linked to the entire thread when asking about what a specific poster asked. Most people won't read an entire thread (even if it's a small one) just to find what you were talking about. Next time try quoting the relevant text like I said in my first post. Also, since you were linking to your own thread, it really did look like you were just advertising your homebrew, which is a no-no (well... creating threads just to advertise is a no-no, as is hijacking other threads. Advertising in your sig or whatever is perfectly fine).

KillianHawkeye
2010-03-23, 07:13 PM
I still don't understand what the point of this thread was. :smallconfused:

sofawall
2010-03-23, 07:14 PM

Well, why did you post it? Did you just post it to say "Hey, my homebrew can flank while using range!" If not, I suggest putting why you really did start the thread, because all you've got here right now is an ad for your homebrew.

krossbow
2010-03-23, 07:19 PM
disregarding the blatant linkage in this thread, there is alot of rl precedent for ranged flanking (crossfires are nasty things)

Roland St. Jude
2010-03-23, 07:39 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: What an odd, spammy thread. Put your links to your homebrew in your signature or let people find them in the proper forum.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-23, 07:40 PM
I took out the link and replaced it with the specific text for the overacters.

Now, is it normally possible to flank someone using a ranged weapon?
Or did he mean your pet and and say a fighter can flank someone while you make ranged sneak attacks?