PDA

View Full Version : Cleric of Apollo

Cisturn
2010-03-23, 05:45 PM
Hey there Playgrounder's I was hoping you could help me out, in my current game I'm playing a cleric of Apollo (house ruled, obviously). I figured the closest domains to Apollo would probably be Sun and Healing, but seeing that those domains are kinda sub-par I was hoping that you guys could give me a list of the spells you think should be in the Apollo Domain. What do you guys think?

Temotei
2010-03-23, 05:48 PM
If you can find a music domain, that would fit Apollo very well. I think there are a few music-based domains...or maybe just one. :smallamused:

Sinfonian
2010-03-23, 05:48 PM
Be sure to remember that Apollo was also the god of prophecy (he was the one involved with Cassandra and the Sibyl). Perhaps some divinations would be appropriate. Or maybe some ranger spells (to replicate his place as patron of archery).

Cicciograna
2010-03-23, 05:50 PM
Apollo is described in Deities and Demigods (3rd Edition), page 105: his domains are Good, Healing, Knowledge, Magic and Sun.

Jera
2010-03-23, 05:51 PM
Apollo was not originally a sun god.

Homer describes Apollo as the god of prophecy and plagues. In the first book of the Iliad, His arrows could send plague.

Elsewhere Apollo is also a god of healing and the arts -- especially music (Apollo taught Orpheus to play the lyre) -- archery(he is twin to the virgin goddess Artemis), agriculture.

Only when the Romans picked him up did he become the God who drove the chariot across the sky. The original 'driver' was the titan Helios.

Though I'm not sure what domain would go with plague. Maybe Decay?

Claudius Maximus
2010-03-23, 05:51 PM
The Oracle domain would be very appropriate.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-23, 06:12 PM
Apollo is described in Deities and Demigods (3rd Edition), page 105: his domains are Good, Healing, Knowledge, Magic and Sun.

Damned Ninja-ish.

DabblerWizard
2010-03-23, 09:26 PM
Yeah. Apollo was my favorite God when I took Latin.

He's the God of a lot of things: the sun, music, law, medicine, and even masculine beauty.

I'm not sure how a few of those could be applied to 3.5 mechanics.

The Rose Dragon
2010-03-23, 09:28 PM
He's the God of a lot of things: the sun, music, law, medicine, and even masculine beauty.

Also, he can rival Zeus in being a prolific lover.

Katana_Geldar
2010-03-23, 09:33 PM
Apollo has other names as well, Loxias and Phoebus.

Alaris
2010-03-23, 09:45 PM
O.o Why would you have to homebrew or houserule being a Cleric of Apollo? Just run a Cleric who worships Apollo, from the Deities and Demigods book. Easy as that. I don't see the problem behind it.

AbyssKnight
2010-03-23, 10:24 PM
In addition to Good, Healing, Knowledge, Magic and Sun from Deities and Demigods, you could use Glory, Oracle, Pestilence, and Purification from Spell Compendium.

Cisturn
2010-03-24, 01:18 AM
if you had to make your own domain for him though what spells would you throw in?

And thank you for the Deities and Demigods reference, i don't own that book.