2010-03-23, 05:50 PM
Once there was a maiden...
...who knelt before the sun.
At dawn she was on her knees
And until the dusk she stood as such.
She prayed for a better world
Until her breath ran out.
She met the sun one day,
And asked why the world suffered so still.
"To love the world is to change it," he said.

_/_/_/_/

Kalan

At the first hour of daylight you wake up in the Jasmine of Dawn, a rather luxurious teahouse in the northern end of Dawn which offers rooms to certain wealthy guests. As such, it is certainly better than one can expect from such a small town, yet it still pales compared to the manors of Ragara on the Blessed Isle. As befitting the name of the teahouse, the room is full of jasmines, giving off a slight scent of tea.

Comparing the modest luxury of the room to the splendors of the Blessed Isle, you cannot help but realize how poor Dawn truly must be, if this is the best it can offer. It is not only Dawn, either - you recall that many places you passed on your way East were just as impecunious. You, as one of the quills of Heaven, could uplift these places if you wanted to, but would you stay long enough to wait for your work to be complete? After all, before you were Exalted, you were still a patrician of the Scarlet Dynasty, so these poor villages are hardly befitting of one of your stature.

Your thoughts are interrupted as there is a weak knock on the door. "Milady," a voice you recognize as Jarem, the owner of the teahouse, asks. "Are you suitable? I wanted to ask if you would like your breakfast brought up."

_/_/_/_/

Golden Saber

After spending a day at Dawn, you come to realize that the most the village has to offer to you is manpower. Dawn is small, isolated and impoverished; it has no one that would desire to conquer it, no Fair Folk seeking to feast upon the dreams of its people and no Dynasts harassing it because it makes their egos feel bigger. Yet its people are strong and honorable as far as you can tell. You've hardly heard a complaint about the poor conditions the village is in and they endure some of the harshest situations in the Scavenger Lands. There is potential for something in Dawn, yet there is no impetus driving it anywhere.

Currently, you are in the Jasmine of Dawn, sitting at the lower levels of the teahouse. As it is only soon after daybreak, the place is quite empty and quiet, making it suitable for contemplation and peaceful partaking in infusions of aromatic leaves. Yet you are a Lightbringer, and such peace is not in your destiny. You were Exalted to be a warrior, after all, and you cannot see much reason to stay much longer in the village unless something happens soon.

A young waitress, no older than 16, approaches you soon. "Is there something you would prefer, milady? We have a variety of teas and breakfast if you desire."

_/_/_/_/

Lotus

The smithy of Dawn is quite less than ideal. Everything is contained in a very small chamber which tends to heat up quite greatly for someone used to the gentle summers of the North. The tools Gentle Wolf uses are quite worn out and you are afraid that they might break if you use them. The steel and iron you get is of low quality, and even Gentle Wolf, a skilled smith of many years, is not quite capable of forging mortal-level wonders from what little he has. These are not obstacles before the skill of a Twilight, of course, but it does much to remind you that Dawn is far from being a wealthy village.

Yet such work does wonders in grounding you to reality and the mortal condition. The people of Dawn, you came to understand, embody some of the best traits that humans have: honesty, hard work, responsibility and self-reliance. Perhaps due to the simplicity of the lives of its people, Dawn lacks most vices save for the basest ones. Yet for all the good qualities it contains, Dawn is too small to hold the greatness of the Solar Exalted as it stands. You understand that you either have to change Dawn greatly in the coming days so it is more fitting a place for heroes, or leave it behind.

_/_/_/_/

Rai

You still remember some of the glory of Yu-Shan. You remember how even the slums were filled with riches beyond mortal reach. You recall the spirits that inhabited it with all their splendor and greatness and decadence and corruption. You remember a bureaucracy broken down almost beyond repair. You remember the spiritual might the Celestial gods held and used without concern for anything but the improvement of their selves.

Dawn is everything Yu-Shan is not.

Yu-Shan is the Celestial Bureaucracy at its grandest and most complex. Dawn, on the other hand, is mortality at its simplest. Deprived from the power of even the Dragon-blooded and Terrestrial spirits, Dawn is poor, small and stagnant, but its people are a fascinating kind rarely found in Creation in the Age of Sorrows. They are true Children of the Earth, never asking for more and never falling prey to their vices. Strength of body and spirit, as well as honesty and integrity, are almost pervasive in the folk of Dawn. Yet its potential is highly constrained within the boundaries of the village, as Dawn is a very poor cradle for heroism.

These thoughts occur to you as you browse the store of Gentle Wolf, the town's blacksmith. "You know, I don't really peg you for a fighter, so you might wanna look at the other side of the store," he informs you, as you look at the assorted weaponry. They show some fine craftsmanship, though the actual quality of the products are highly limited by the materials used. "I've got some fine sculptures and jewelry you could be interested in. Not any precious metals, but they look good just the same."

_/_/_/_/

Astrum

You had arrived at Dawn seven days ago after weeks of travel, in hopes of finding a place that you could champion and protect. You dreamed of a place of mortals in need of a defender, beset by armies of Fair Folk or Terrestrials. The truth, however, has been disappointing. Dawn does not need a champion, because it is too small to be threatened by anything. Yet the people, as you get to know them, give you hope. You feel that you could turn them into something great if you tried. You have seen a virtuous life in Dawn hard to find in the rest of Creation, and a strong people. All they need, you feel, is inspiration - inspiration that one of the Golden Bulls can grant them. So, despite your initial disappointment in the situation, you chose to remain for some time yet. After all, you are a Zenith Caste. You are Exalted to bring out the greatness in others and lead them in the name of the Unconquered Sun. It doesn't matter whether you lead man in Nexus or Dawn.

As such, you stand in the small square at the center of the town, speaking to anyone who will listen. You have not yet started trying yet, but even now you have a number of people that see you as some sort of prophet. A mad one, perhaps, but insanity does not exclude being inspirational, as a small child told you yesterday. Currently, the town is mostly asleep, but if the previous days are any indication, they do not like spending more time in bed than is necessary. Soon, they will come out, and some will listen again.

Hopefully, you think, you can effect the change you feel is necessary soon.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-23, 07:23 PM
Kalan awoke easily, comfortably, in contrast to the past few nights. The bed wasn't that uncomfortable, and the smell Jasmine was comforting. With her eyes closed, she could pretend that she was back in the Manor of the Ragara Family, or the 'small' Townhouse she had taken to dwelling in once she had accumulated sufficient wealth. Unfortunately, she knew that wasn't the case. When she opened her eyes, she could be in the 'Jasmine of Dawn.'

"Life goes on, and I must adapt."

That had been Kalan's mantra since she gave up on Exalting. The Elemental Dragons had not found her worthy of raising up. Most crumbled. Kalan refused. She adapted, moved on, making herself useful. She had clawed her way back. And then, she Exalted. But not the way she was supposed to. Not into one of the choosen of the Elemental Dragons. Instead, she was what was called 'Anathema.' She knew the title was wrong, but it put her at risk. And in the end, it had forced her to flee. So, she would just have to do it again. She was not about to give up. The Exaltation had given her new options. Kalan would make the most of them. Kalan was looking for a place that could serve in that regard. Dawn would not be it, most likely. She might be able to forge it into what she required. She had been talented before the Exaltation, and with the power that she had been given, even the Materials she had here could be crafted. But why? There were other places, other things to see. Dawn had yet to offer her anything but barely acceptable service.

There it is now.

Kalan pulled a robe from one of her bags, adjusting it around herself and tying it closed. She reached to her nightstand, combing her hair.

"Yes, I would prefer to have my Breakfast brought up. If you have anything else to ask, feel free to enter."

Kalan would not have let another Dynast see her like this. Just awoken from sleep, hair still unprepared, in a simple, unadorned robe. But Jarem was hardly that. He was little more then a servant, and she would not force herself to talk through the door to keep him from seeing her before she was completely ready to face the world.

lostlittlebear
2010-03-24, 06:21 AM
As he waited for more people to awaken, Astrum began to compose the first few lines of his speech in his head.

I can't run the risk of using any Charms on them until I learn more about their attitude to Solars, but if I play my cards right a normal unenhanced speech should win me a few converts.

I need to start off with some attention-grabbing, something grand...

Casting his eye around town for a suitable venue for his speech, Astrum spotted what seemed to be a relatively wealthy teahouse near the northern part of town.

That seems as good a place as any to start. Presumably its wealth is due to an abundance of patrons, and on the bright side I can always order some tea if I'm thirsty.

His decision made, Astrum ambled towards the teahouse, only waiting the gathering of a sizable audience to begin his speech.

horngeek
2010-03-24, 06:35 AM
Golden Saber smiled at the young lady. "Thank you. I would like some ginseng tea, please."

Inwardly, she had been taking stock of Dawn and its people. And... she wasn't too sure she would find anything of value here... but she did not believe that this town was worthless, either. After all, its people were quite honorable.

She wasn't entirely sure what to do- on the one hand, she knew she'd have to get back to her men soon, but on the other hand... well, Miara was still sleeping, and besides, this town did remind her somewhat of her own people- despite circumstances that were far less than ideal, they did not complain, and did not shy away from their duties.

However, her duties weren't to the people of Dawn. Her duties were to her men.

She sighed. I'll go upstairs and wake Miara, then we'll head back towards the Fortress.

Xaantiaz
2010-03-24, 11:40 PM
Working in a small, confined smithy was not what Lotus expected when she would mused of the future. Yes, but you also did not expect slavery or Exaltation, she thought while finishing a new blade. Picking up the red hot weapon and walking to the quenching trough, a small frown played over her face. As much as I like these people, the Unconquered Sun has chosen me for something bigger than this. Dunking the sword in the water, she let the steam rise before taking it to the front.

"Gentle Wolf, I've finished the blade," making her way through the shop looking for her employer. It wasn't until she walked up and presented the finished sword to him that she noticed the customer with him. "Please excuse the interruption, I did not realize you were busy. However, you asked for the sword as soon as it was finished," she said, holding the blade flat across her hands for Gentle Wolf to see."It is finished and decorated to the specifications," while tracing the design along the blade. "Is there any other custom work to be done? It is much more interesting than the standard projects," placing the handle in Gentle Wolf's grip.

MandibleBones
2010-03-25, 01:00 PM
Rai stopped his fingers just shy of a well-crafted blade, thinking of his father's sword back home. He smiled a small, sad smile, then turned to the kind blacksmith.

"You've pegged me right, Gentle Wolf," he says amicably, "but while a warrior I'm not, a traveler I am, and art pieces - even ones both as sturdy and well-crafted as yours - tend not to do well in a traveler's hands unless he's selling them for you."

He smiles more broadly, turning his head to the newcomer. "And it's no trouble at all, my lady. I fear I'm more taking the good smith's time by browsing than acting the part of a customer." He nods, smiling, in rueful apology at the blacksmith, then bows slightly, courteous but somewhat unrefined, to both of them. "Kurohoshi Rai, at your service," he says.

The Rose Dragon
2010-03-27, 11:47 AM
Jasmine of Dawn

Kalan

"Yes, milady. I have nothing else to ask, milady." The faint creaking of the boards slowly fade as Jarem leaves the bedchambers' floor.

If you look outside the window, you can see the sun rising over Creation, and the forests of the East at the horizon. You can also see the people of Dawn waking up to the new day and slowly filling the streets and the stores and the farms, peaceful as they have been since you've arrived at Dawn.

And at the edge of the plains around Dawn, you see a mass of men, glistening under the sun like steel and silver. As you have not seen any such group of people heading East in the last few days, they must be heading towards Dawn - possibly beyond.

Astrum

You enter the Jasmine of Dawn to a mostly empty entry floor, occupied by half a dozen people, not including the waiters and the brewmaster sitting in his booth. The woods used in the construction are high enough quality that they are not found elsewhere in Dawn, and the teahouse is filled with flowers of all sorts - predominantly, as the name of the place suggests, jasmine. Most tables are quite low and there are very few seats, suggesting a position on one's knees should be taken to be comfortable. "You can be seated anywhere you like, milord. Someone will be with you shortly to take your order," suggests one of the waiters as he passes you by.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-27, 01:00 PM
Kalan saw the approaching Army, if that was what it was to be called. She had a number of options still. If it was the worst outcome for Dawn, she had quite a few options. If she took the time, she could get Armored and Armed, and help the villagers meet the Army. Kalan had no interest whatsoever in doing that. She'd give a warning, but fighting wasn't her thing. She could just wait, and see what happened. A terrible idea itself. She had no idea whose mass of men that was. Even if they weren't bound for Dawn, the fact that the town was in its way promised little good. And finally, she could just leave.

Let's go with that one.

Kalan sighed pulling out a complete outfit, and returning her hairbrush to its place in her bags. She still needed more information. Completely dressed, and with her hair in something proper shape, a Violet from the nearby Vase placed delicately there. With that she was ready to tell the people of Dawn of the approaching army. She walked downstairs, seeking out Jarem.

"Jarem, there appears to be an Army of Men making its way towards Dawn from the East. Do you know who they are? If not, perhaps I should skip breakfast, and have my Carriage loaded up."

horngeek
2010-03-27, 01:41 PM
Saber pauses, her tea forgotten. She walks over the the merchant, her eyes focused. Where did you see these men coming from?

And how many do you think they are?

Sallera
2010-03-27, 04:49 PM
Comfortably seated in the corner of the teahouse, Iraiya allows the steam to coil around him, absorbing the aroma of his drink as he watches the teahouse's other patrons. He hadn't seen much of Dawn yet, but what he had seen, he was already growing fond of. It seemed to be almost living proof that a society even an Immaculate could be proud of was entirely capable of developing without the Immaculates' guidance. Was he to witness an Exaltation, perhaps? There seemed little doubt that the people of this place could produce something impressive, given the chance, but then again, perhaps they were this way because they remained unbeset by the sorts of things that would create that chance.

His meditations are interrupted just as he reaches for his tea, and he listens intently to their words as he takes the first sip. Well now, that's an interesting start to my day. Unmoving for the moment, he waits to see how they respond; didn't want to interfere too early, after all.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-27, 05:07 PM
Kalan looked over the Woman who had addressed her, sizing her up quickly. Pretty Girl, probably from the North, given her look, and the accents Kalan could detect in her voice. Kalan shrugged lightly. She didn't know what this woman expected of her. She hadn't stayed to count them.

"Quite a few. They came from the East. My suggestion is that if you don't know who they are, the best course is to evacuate. That is my plan."

Kalan spoke easily, smiling still. She disliked being addressed so abruptly, especially by someone from outside the Realm. She was a Scion of the House of Ragara, and deserved it rankled that she had been reduced to this point. But that was life.

"Either way though, if Jarem doesn't know of them, it would be best to begin preparing."

horngeek
2010-03-27, 08:37 PM
Saber tilts her head, and she frowns. ...we should probably see who they are before deciding what to do, then...

lostlittlebear
2010-03-28, 03:31 AM
Smiling at the waiter, Astrum kneels down at one of the tables.

"I'm no lord, but a cup of tea would do me good."

Glancing around, he looks for a ledge or a crate by the roadside to use as a speaking platform. When the teahouse begins to fill up, Astrum will stand up and call for the patrons' attention as a prelude to launching into his speech.