PDA

View Full Version : Cursed scrolls???

Stubbed Tongue
2010-03-23, 06:05 PM
Just got done reading in my DMG the blurb text about cursed scrolls p238. The text reads...."unless it is a specially prepared cursed scroll". I'm having trouble finding these 'cursed scrolls'. Can anyone help me out?

ericgrau
2010-03-23, 07:36 PM
SRD search reveals absolutely nothing else. Seems to fall under the same category as creating an extra-dimensional space inside another. But here's the cursed item (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm) section of the rules, which contains some guidelines. IMO simply make a spell with a nasty effect, such as targeting the person that reads it.

Cursed items can be an encounter by themselves. Just make sure the PCs get their normal treasure on top of the cursed items, and don't be cruel with everything they get.

Evard
2010-03-23, 09:41 PM
Or be cruel and let the party wizard copy a spell from a curse scroll (the wizard doesn't know it is) into their spell book. This spell has in it a code that curses the spell book so that each spell in the spell book gains that does hp/stat damage has the target "ally" and each spell that has beneficial aspects the target of "enemy".

Yes it is basically a computer virus :D And the only way to remove it would be to use remove curse from each spell and giving it a 50% chance of erasing the spell XD

Yes I'm evil sometimes...

deuxhero
2010-03-23, 09:52 PM
Remember that a cursed scroll of genocide can summon nurses to boost your max mp.

err, wrong game.

Seatbelt
2010-03-23, 09:56 PM
Yes it is basically a computer virus :D And the only way to remove it would be to use remove curse from each spell and giving it a 50% chance of erasing the spell XD

That sounds like Time Consuming and No Fun. Time Consuming is not always a bad thing. And No Fun is OK in short bursts. But combine the two and you have a good reason for party rebellion.

Harperfan7
2010-03-23, 10:44 PM
Could be refering to spells like fire trap which can be hidden in the text of a scroll that contains another spell.

Stubbed Tongue
2010-03-24, 12:04 AM
Thank you for the replies.

Ravens_cry
2010-03-24, 01:00 AM
That sounds like Time Consuming and No Fun. Time Consuming is not always a bad thing. And No Fun is OK in short bursts. But combine the two and you have a good reason for party rebellion DM-icide.
I believe the proper Intertubes parlance in this situation is that I have rectified your comment, or some such tosh.:smallamused:

thubby
2010-03-24, 01:10 AM
you can pile so many mark/sigil spells on a scroll that no one will ever touch another one.
something on the shelf or bag its in/on
the scroll's case (hint: put scrolls in cases)
something for opening the case
something for opening the scroll
then the scroll itself

i had to do this once on a few scrolls in a wizards' tower to keep the party wizard from learning nigh on every spell in existence.