PDA

View Full Version : Help build a Gestalt Trio [3.5]

Rankar
2010-03-24, 05:27 AM
Request: Please help me build three gestalts that can take on any level appropriate challenge.

Details:
My friends and I are making characters and our current DM is feeling really generous (aka, he's feeling evil and wants to savor our destruction via entries from the Monster Manuals). We get XP immediately after an encounter though we only get to rest after every 4 or 5 encounters (as we level the amount of encounters between rests increases as well).

32 point buy
Gestalt characters
Any Race (+1LA is being treated as +0LA... (He really wants this to be entertaining))
Starting at Level 6
17k gold
All books (except Dragonlance (don't have them))
No Dragon Magazine
Prefer no homebrew

Friend A: wants to make a gestalt psionic character that's based on telekinesis. None of us are very familiar with the potential of Psionics, and he's fairly new to DnD so he asked for my help and I ask for The Playground's help in turn.

Friend B: is going Cleric/fighter. I'm not terribly worried about him since he's the jerk that got me addicted to DnD. But suggestions or recommendations could help us out.

As for me... I want to not only survive this, I want to make things fear my wrath. I'm having trouble coming up with something worthwhile (maybe because its 4a.m. for me) and could use suggestions.

Part of this is to keep playing while the DM prepares a new adventure. Thanks in advance for the help.

magic9mushroom
2010-03-24, 05:39 AM
Request: Please help me build three gestalts that can take on any level appropriate challenge.

Details:
My friends and I are making characters and our current DM is feeling really generous (aka, he's feeling evil and wants to savor our destruction via entries from the Monster Manuals). We get XP immediately after an encounter though we only get to rest after every 4 or 5 encounters (as we level the amount of encounters between rests increases as well).

32 point buy
Gestalt characters
Any Race (+1LA is being treated as +0LA... (He really wants this to be entertaining))
Starting at Level 6
17k gold
All books (except Dragonlance (don't have them))
No Dragon Magazine
Prefer no homebrew

Friend A: wants to make a gestalt psionic character that's based on telekinesis. None of us are very familiar with the potential of Psionics, and he's fairly new to DnD so he asked for my help and I ask for The Playground's help in turn.

Friend B: is going Cleric/fighter. I'm not terribly worried about him since he's the jerk that got me addicted to DnD. But suggestions or recommendations could help us out.

As for me... I want to not only survive this, I want to make things fear my wrath. I'm having trouble coming up with something worthwhile (maybe because its 4a.m. for me) and could use suggestions.

Part of this is to keep playing while the DM prepares a new adventure. Thanks in advance for the help.

Lesser Aasimar (or Kobold) White Dragonspawn Sorcerer/Tainted Scholar//Crusader.

Alternatively, [Int race] Wizard/Metaphysical Spellshaper/Tainted Scholar//Warblade.

Oops, didn't notice the Dragonlance restriction.

2xMachina
2010-03-24, 06:07 AM
Dragonwrought Kobold with the rites is quite decent (+1Sorc). A little cheese, and add Archtype for +2Sorc.

// Favoured Soul

Great saves, and you get more spells for the day.

magic9mushroom
2010-03-24, 06:12 AM
Dragonwrought Kobold with the rites is quite decent (+1Sorc). A little cheese, and add Archtype for +2Sorc.

// Favoured Soul

Great saves, and you get more spells for the day.

Loredrake is extreme cheese and is kinda dodgy with the rules (there's nothing explicitly saying Dragonwrought Kobolds are True Dragons, and the relevant passage in Draconomicon has multiple interpretations). Tainted Scholar is less rules-dodgy and gives you more extra spells/day.

If you really wanted the extra Sorc levels, Phaerimm is attractive.

2xMachina
2010-03-24, 06:26 AM
Eh, I'd say Tainted Scholar/Phaerimm is more cheesy.

Base Dragonwrought with rites is good enough IMO. No cheese.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-03-24, 08:09 AM
The Cleric//Fighter should switch to Cleric//Crusader, and get the Mineral Warrior (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) template for his free +1 LA. If he doesn't like that idea, maybe switch to Llolth-Touched from MMIV, though reflavored to suit whatever deity he worships. That gets +6 Str and Con, +4 Hide and Move Silently, and immunity to fear, for only a +1 LA.

For the Psion, maybe go Shaper with the Personal Construct (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070411a) ACF, otherwise go Kineticist for blasty effects. I'd probably make it Psion//Factotum, or if BAB cheese will work maybe go something like Psion 5/ Factotum 5/ Psion 1/ Factotum 9//Wild Shape Ranger 1/ Factotum 3/ Sanctified Mind 6/ Slayer 10. The only real option for a telekinesis-focused character would be Master of the Unseen Hand from CW, and it would need some major adaptations to work with Psionics since Telekinesis is split into three separate powers. For his race, I'd probably go Grey Elf with Llolth-Touched reflavored to a different deity, and put Str 8, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10 before racial adjustments, for total stats of Str 12, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 10.

As for your character, probably go Druid 20 on one side of the build. A Druid//Swordsage would be amazing, or maybe use Bone Talisman (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a) to go RKV. In that case, I'd go Illumian with the Naenhoon sigil and get Quicken Spell (or maybe Extend and Persistent Spell) to use with the Bone Talismans. For your +1 LA you could go Mineral Warrior, since you'd retain the DR 8/Adamantine while Wild Shaped.

You can get twenty Unguent of Timelessness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#unguentofTimelessness) and coat 160 Bone Talisman spell foci, so each casting will either last one year (item doesn't age until a year goes by, then it instantly ages one day translation) or about 60 hours per caster level (item ages 1/365 slower than normal translation), so after spending some downtime preparing them you'll have 160 turning attempts available at a cost of only 3,000 gp. The Unguent never wears off, so you can keep reusing the same foci forever.

You should probably try to get Assume Supernatural Ability from Savage Species along with Aberration Blood and Aberration Wild Shape so you can take the form of a Beholder at level 11 and use your Eye Rays at will. Also definitely get a Fleshraker (MM3) animal companion and use Natural Bond from Complete Adventurer to negate the 'Level -3' drawback. Edit: Be sure to cast Venomfire on it every day, and keep Venomous Volley (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Spells-Druid.pdf) prepared.

Critical
2010-03-24, 08:23 AM
Cleric//Crusader with Mineral Warrior template is an awesome idea. For you, being a Rogue//Warlock might be a fun idea, along with Eldritch Glaive and Craven feat.