PDA

View Full Version : screenshot from a video

JeenLeen
2010-03-24, 08:11 AM
Does anyone know how to get a still/screenshot of a particular scene in a video using Windows Media Player 11 or Power DVD DX?

Someone who asked me about it said they have tried some methods--though I'm not sure of which--and only got a blank screen. I know they also tried using SnagIt software, but that was unable to yield an actual still.

Astrella
2010-03-24, 08:16 AM
Printscreen, though that's probably not what you're looking for.

Graymayre
2010-03-24, 09:09 AM
Yea, I normally just Alt+Prinstcreen and paste it in a img doc. Then I crop the edges and Tada!

Coplantor
2010-03-24, 09:17 AM
Do as I would do, click every menu option, and once you are done, if you still have'nt acheived your goal, google it.

Toastkart
2010-03-24, 02:27 PM
Does anyone know how to get a still/screenshot of a particular scene in a video using Windows Media Player 11 or Power DVD DX?

Someone who asked me about it said they have tried some methods--though I'm not sure of which--and only got a blank screen. I know they also tried using SnagIt software, but that was unable to yield an actual still.

I have PowerDVD 5 which has a capture frame function that works pretty well. I don't know about DX, but I assume it would have the same.

JeenLeen
2010-03-25, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the advice.

Alt+PrintScreen
It worked to get a picture of, for example, the swirling colors that can show up when you play a music file. However, for the video files (such as when laying a DVD), once I save the captured picture any part of the actual video becomes a blank blackness. Such happened both with Paint and SnagIt.

I tried some other advice given here: http://vikaskhera.wordpress.com/2009/01/25/how-to-capture-screenshots-from-windows-media-player/
but to no avail. Other pages I've checked give the same advice.

I didn't see any capture feature in PowerDVD DX.

Any ideas?

Erloas
2010-03-25, 02:51 PM
With streaming files like videos it will just capture the background, usually blue or black. What is interesting is often if you cut/paste that into another program then continue to play the video it will show up in both the video player and on the background pasted into the other program.

It is a "feature," as it is done specifically to keep people from copying videos.

I know it can be done, I think it just requires a video editing program rather then a player. Once the video is in a format the program can use then it should be able to take frames and create images out of them. It has been too long since I've tried to do anything like that to actually remember what to use. I just know it can be done, but there are more steps involved then a simple screen capture.

JeenLeen
2010-03-26, 07:46 AM
Thank you, Erloas. I've heard of a program that can covert the file to .avi or another more 'capturable' format.

If it gives any a new idea, the file is in .vbo format. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it was created using a digital camera.