PDA

View Full Version : [PRC, TOB] Phoenix Fist Initiate

Satyr
2010-03-24, 08:40 AM
It's interesting what you find when you look up all the old stuff on your hard drive. I, for example, have found roughly half a dozen Tome of Battle Prestige classes I wrote before I strated to seriously work on Serpents and Sewers.

I have translated these classes yesterday, and updated them a bit, but really, they are in their core two or three years old. For me, it's somewhat interesting how a few ideas which were later copied in S&S appeared here for the first time. Seriously, these include my first step in homebrewing for D&D.

Now, these are Prestige Classes how I like them: focused on beating people up, and actually quite competent in this field of expertise. If you ask me, the overwhelming majority of prestige classes for the already underrepresented melee fighters are much too weak, especially when compared to *any* prestige class with full caster level progression. Therefore, they might appear a bit powerful when compared to other fighter -specific prestige classes.

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs17/300W/f/2007/192/a/c/PF_Dark_Ryu_by_UdonCrew.jpg

The Phoenix Fist Initiate

The Phoenix Fist Society is a very small and reclusive monk order who trains monks in the ability to combine their usual unarmed combat style with elements of the traditional Desert Wind discipline, and the ability to channel their Ki in the form of flames.
At least, that's the official version. Inofficially, the Phoenix Fist is seen as a group of mentally instable pyromaniacs, who have way too much fun in burning down houses, cities and people. Their abilities are spectacular, but the way they use it has created a very bad reputation for the order.
This fervor for ignition and destruction has made the Phoenix Fist society join several armed conflicts just for the sake of fighting.
In a battle, they use their control over the inner and the outer flame to immolate anyone who comes to close, while they rely on speed and skirmish tactics to overcome their enemies.

Design Notes:
It's a pyromaniac monk order. With the ability to ignite things. A lot. Their ultimate power seem pretty good at a first look, as it let them use their abilities at will, but said abilities are mostly interesting special effects. And this class requires a Monk dip, so it better had to be good.

Requirements
BAB: +4
Skills: Balance 7 ranks, Martial Lore 7 ranks, Concentration 7 ranks, Tumble 7 ranks
Feats: Desert Wind Dodge, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist
Maneuvers: One maneuver of the Desert Wind Discipline of third or higher level

HD: D8

Class-Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana) Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Religion), Listen, Martial Lore, Move Silently, Perform, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim and Tumble.

Skill-points per level: 4+Int modifier

Table: The Phoenix Fist Initiate
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Disciplines
1st|+0|+2|+2|+2|Monk Abilities, Fiery Fist, Armor and Weapon Training|+1 level of initiator class
2nd|+1|+3|+3|+3|Skirmish +1d6|+1 level of initiator class
3rd|+2|+3|+3|+3|Fiery Ki Defense|+1 level of initiator class
4th|+3|+4|+4|+4|Skirmish +1d6, AC+1, Fire Resistance 10|+1 level of initiator class
5th|+3|+4|+4|+4|Ki Blast|+1 level of initiator class
6th|+4|+5|+5|+5|Skirmish +2d6, AC+1, Fire Resistance 15, Adaptation of the Flame|+1 level of initiator class
7th|+5|+5|+5|+5|Flight of the Phoenix|+1 level of initiator class
8th|+6|+6|+6|+6|Skirmish +2d6, AC+2, Fire Resistance 20|+1 level of initiator class
9th|+6|+6|+6|+6|Stunning Fist Mastery|+1 level of initiator class
10th|+7|+7|+7|+7|Skirmish +3d6, AC+2, Immunity to Fire|+1 level of initiator class
[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The Phoenix Fist Initiate gains familiarity with falchions, light maces, light picks, scimitars and spears. Phoenix Fist Initiates are familiar with light armor, but not with shields.

Disciplines: At each level, the Phoenix Fist Monk gain new maneuvers, stances or readied maneuvers and an increase in his initiator level as if he had also gained a level in the Swordsage class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Monk Abilities: Class levels in the Phoenix Fist Initiate stack with Monk class levels to determine the unarmed damage and the flurry of blows, Ki Strike abilities, AC-Bonus and the Monk's speed bonus. They do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. A Monk can freely multiclass into the Phoenix Fist Initiate class and return to her original class. Levels in Phoenix Fist Initiate count as monk levels when it comes to determine the number of uses of the Stunning Fist ability.

Armor and Weapon Training: The Phoenix Fist Initiate can use all his Monk abilities while wearing light armor. This includes the Monk's speed bonus and the Flurry of Blows ability. In addition, the character may treat the weapons associated with the Desert Wind discipline as Monk weapons and can use them with the flurry of blows ability.

Fiery Fist: At 1st level, the Phoenix Fist Initiate gains the Fiery Fist feat as a bonus feat. She doesn't need to fulfill the feat's prerequisites.

Skirmish (ex): Starting at 2nd level, the Phoenix Monk Initiate gains the Skirmish ability (see the Scout class description for more details). This ability improves on every even class level.

Fiery Ki Defense: At 3rd level, the Phoenix Fist Initiate gains Fiery Ki Defense as a Bonus Feat. She doesn't need to fulfill the feat's prerequisites.

Fire Resistance (ex): At 4th level, a Phoenix Fist Initiate gains an Energy Resistance of 10 against Fire Damage. This improves by 5 at every following even class level. On 10th level, the Phoenix Fist Initiate becomes immune against Fire damage.

Ki Blast: At 5th level, the Phoenix Fist Initiate gains Ki Blast as a Bonus Feat. She doesn't need to fulfill the feat's prerequisites.

Fire Adaptation: A Phoenix Fist Initiate of 6th level who has mastered the Flame's Blessing Stance can retrain it and replace it with a different Desert Wind Stance if she can qualify for it.

Flight of the Phoenix (ex): When fighting in a Desert Wind or Setting Sun Stance, armed with a Monk weapon and wearing no medium or heavier armor or a medium or heavier load, a Phoenix Fist Initiate of 7th level or higher can use the Pounce ability.

Stunning Fist Mastery: At 10th level, the Phoenix Fist Initiate may use Stunning Fist and all of his abilities based on this (e.g. Fiery Fist) at will.

DracoDei
2010-03-24, 10:43 AM
Let them retrain "Flame's Blessing" to another 1st level stance, if at some point if they took it... 10th level if nothing else.

The following are errors:
One maneuver of each the Desert Wind Discipline of third or higher level
Armor and Training

Satyr
2010-03-24, 10:51 AM
Let them retrain "Flame's Blessing" to another 1st level stance, if at some point if they took it... 10th level if nothing else.

Good idea.

And thanks for spotting the mistakes; I will correct this immediately.