PDA

View Full Version : Time stop, what are the things you can do, while "time is stopped".

dota600
2010-03-24, 08:44 AM
Hmmm... Anything time stop related actions, stuffs and hilarity can go here, I guess.

So yeah, I have this plan of a Dhampir(denezins of darkness) Bard7/dirgesinger4(libris mortis)/Sublime chord10(complete arcane)/Seeker of the song2(complete arcane) BBEG. I plan to put time stop on her repertoire. Here is what I do.

At her turn, she cast time stop and rolled a 4, during those "time stopped rounds" can she produce bardic music effects in order to stack those effects to those around her? The spell said it cannot target individuals with attacks or spells but does not mention anything about AOE's so I think it goes.

Right?

And..... lets say you are an epic wizard and stuff, can you cast quickened time stop after the normal time stop?

Eldariel
2010-03-24, 08:52 AM
Basically, all the AOE effects you use fail to take effect before Time Stop ends, but all take effect simultaneously at that point. Consequentially, you can make people go boom with Maws of Chaos or Delayed Blast Fireballs (old AD&D tech there) and such.

Mongoose87
2010-03-24, 09:02 AM
Might I suggest only grabbing a couple levels of Sublime chord, and using another full caster PrC to advance it?

Drakefall
2010-03-24, 09:22 AM
You do the Time Warp obviously!:smalltongue:

mucat
2010-03-24, 09:25 AM
If she tries to stack bardic music effects while time is stopped, how will anyone hear it? Whether or not there's an actual rule to that effect, common sense would say that the only one who ever hears a note of those songs, so the only one who can benefit or suffer from them, is herself.

dota600
2010-03-24, 09:27 AM
Basically, all the AOE effects you use fail to take effect before Time Stop ends, but all take effect simultaneously at that point. Consequentially, you can make people go boom with Maws of Chaos or Delayed Blast Fireballs (old AD&D tech there) and such.

So all of the AOE bardic music buffs and debuffs you cast within the span of time in where time stop goes takes full effect but when time stop expire all of it stops to take effect?

As in you get all of your buff takes effect and expires in one round or am I missing something?

and what is maws of chaos. 0_o

If she tries to stack bardic music effects while time is stopped, how will anyone hear it? Whether or not there's an actual rule to that effect, common sense would say that the only one who ever hears a note of those songs, so the only one who can benefit or suffer from them, is herself.

so in effect, the bardic songs that you accumulated within time stop will not explode in one go?

ericgrau
2010-03-24, 10:43 AM
Rod of greater quicken spell. Quicken time stop. Do a groovy dance, spin around, make faces at your enemies, return to your original position. Take turn as normal. Why? Because you can.

Lysander
2010-03-24, 10:53 AM
so in effect, the bardic songs that you accumulated within time stop will not explode in one go?

You must hear a bardic song to be affected by it. Creatures are not aware of what you do in time stop and can't hear the song.

All you can basically do is move yourself, move unattended items, and cast spells with ongoing or delayed durations. That allows quite a bit though, even without magic. Tie a blindfold on your enemies. Leave a giant rock suspended in midair above their heads.

dota600
2010-03-24, 11:00 AM
You must hear a bardic song to be affected by it. Creatures are not aware of what you do in time stop and can't hear the song.

All you can basically do is move yourself, move unattended items, and cast spells with ongoing or delayed durations. That allows quite a bit though, even without magic. Tie a blindfold on your enemies. Leave a giant rock suspended in midair above their heads.

I see, now I get it.

However lingering chorus(complete mage) has a duration of 1/round per level that holds your bardic music in effect. Okey you sing inspire courage and cast that spell while in time stop. After time stop, that spell will be in effect am I right?

I still got to admit that blindfolding them and tying their shoelaces would be funny. >:3

JoshuaZ
2010-03-24, 11:09 AM
The last thing you always do at the end of a long time stop is use prestitidigation to heat up a cup of tea. So you can sip your tea while all your effects take place.

dota600
2010-03-24, 11:10 AM
The last thing you always do at the end of a long time stop is use prestitidigation to heat up a cup of tea. So you can sip your tea while all your effects take place.

I'll take note of that.

Lysander
2010-03-24, 11:15 AM
I still got to admit that blindfolding them and tying their shoelaces would be funny. >:3

You unfortunately can't affect their shoelaces since those are attended objects. You could tie their ankles together with your own cord though.

Soonerdj
2010-03-24, 11:16 AM
The Piranha Death Trap: First, wait for it to be almost your turn. Right before your turn, cast Celerity, and cast Time Stop inside it. Inside Time Stop, cast a bunch of Twinned, Maximized, (possibly Empowered and Repeated as well) Vortex of Teeth spells (3d8 Force damage at the beginning of your turn in a 40 foot radius for a round/level, SC). Since Vortex is SR Yes, use Assay SR and True Cast liberally if need be. Come out of Time Stop, and when your turn starts, all the Vortexes hit for ludicrous, painful, horrible unavoidable Force damage all across their area. Thus, Piranha Death Trap. The advantage over Delayed Blast Fireball is obviously that there is no saving throw.

More Sorcerer flavored but Wizards can do it too!

Lysander
2010-03-24, 11:20 AM
Or cast Wall of Stone around your enemy, trapping them in rock.

Mando Knight
2010-03-24, 11:50 AM
You can summon a steamroller, then set a sheet of daggers to fly at and hit the opponent after you resume time.

But only if you accompany this with WRYYYYYYYYYYYYY! Muda-muda-muda-muda-muda MUDA!

Curmudgeon
2010-03-24, 12:09 PM
You can spread open your Portable Hole full of anvils on the underside of your Carpet of Flying over some enemy's head. Of course, a simple Reflex save (DC 15) lets them avoid all damage from unaimed dropping objects (see Heroes of Battle page 68).

Killer Angel
2010-03-24, 12:10 PM
And..... lets say you are an epic wizard and stuff, can you cast quickened time stop after the normal time stop?

At that point, it's nicer if you show your opponents your spell list, then asking to surrender, because it's your familiar's birthday and you feel good... :smallwink:

jiriku
2010-03-24, 12:15 PM
The 9th-level spell undermaster from Spell Compendium gives you the ability to activate a variety of battlefield altering magics as a standard action. Combined with time stop, you can completely rearrange the enivronment in the blink of an eye.

Lysander
2010-03-24, 12:17 PM
Time Stop is also a great time to move a Sphere of Annihilation onto an opponents head.

Last Laugh
2010-03-24, 12:42 PM
Out of curiosity, can you actually attack enemies with ranged weapons while in time stop?
Can you throw dozens of daggers and they will just hang in the air until the spell ends?

Edit: I guess Time Stop just makes you move reallly fast, this should still work but "You cannot target such creatures with any attacks or spells"

Lysander
2010-03-24, 12:51 PM
Out of curiosity, can you actually attack enemies with ranged weapons while in time stop?
Can you throw dozens of daggers and they will just hang in the air until the spell ends?

Edit: I guess Time Stop just makes you move reallly fast, this should still work but "You cannot target such creatures with any attacks or spells"

Maybe objects you throw or shoot remain animated in time until the end of the attack, round, or until the end of the time stop spell.

Soonerdj
2010-03-24, 12:53 PM
Maybe objects you throw or shoot remain animated in time until the end of the attack, round, or until the end of the time stop spell.

This happens, but pointing out.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9154/fate1225zn.jpg

Curmudgeon
2010-03-24, 01:44 PM
Not directly, no; targeting someone with an attack is forbidden, regardless of when the attack actually arrives. Dropped (as opposed to aimed) objects only target a square, and a simple Reflex save avoids all damage for creatures occupying that square.

krossbow
2010-03-24, 02:48 PM
Look up the female party members skirts.

chiasaur11
2010-03-24, 02:49 PM
Magic marker mustaches for all.

Curmudgeon
2010-03-24, 04:21 PM
Magic marker mustaches for all.
Now, that is definitely an attack! :smallfurious:

gdiddy
2010-03-24, 04:36 PM
Alright, you're epic, so you are more worried about keeping this classy than necessarily even defeating the enemy in one round.

Round One: Quicken Time Stop

Meta Round one: Paint Maximixed Twinned Empowered explosive runes on easel stand in front of opponent.

Meta Round two: Fabricate chair.

Meta Round three Prestidigitate: Warm tea.

Meta Round four: Sit in chair. Drink tea.

Time Stop: Do it again.

Your White Raven Tactic cohort: Another Quicken Time Stop. Another Time Stop.

Celerity: Do it again.

Actual game time: 6 seconds.
Metatime: 22 seconds.
Damage Done: 540 saveless damage.
Look on your enemy's face that you are blasting them around the room and watching them wonder why you now are surrounded by chairs and a full tea set: Priceless

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-24, 04:48 PM
Alright, you're epic, so you are more worried about keeping this classy than necessarily even defeating the enemy in one round.

Round One: Quicken Time Stop

Meta Round one: Paint Maximixed Twinned Empowered explosive runes on easel stand in front of opponent.

Meta Round two: Fabricate chair.

Meta Round three Prestidigitate: Warm tea.

Meta Round four: Sit in chair. Drink tea.

Time Stop: Do it again.

Your White Raven Tactic cohort: Another Quicken Time Stop. Another Time Stop.

Celerity: Do it again.

Actual game time: 6 seconds.
Metatime: 22 seconds.
Damage Done: 540 saveless damage.
Look on your enemy's face that you are blasting them around the room and watching them wonder why you now are surrounded by chairs and a full tea set: Priceless

The some things money can't buy. For everything else, you're goddamn wizard! There's nothing you can't do!

Also, Illiteracy: The optimizer's choice.

magic9mushroom
2010-03-24, 04:51 PM
Fun thing to do with Time Stop:

Prismatic Sphere/Reverse Gravity.

faith
2010-03-24, 05:40 PM
Place an immovable rob in front of charging enemies.

dota600
2010-03-24, 08:37 PM
Place an immovable rob in front of charging enemies.

taking note of epic suggestion, is also going to place aforementioned immovable rod at the charging enemies throat for maximized fun.

Also, can you put sovereign glue on a piace of cloth and tie that said cloth around the enemies head to cover his eyes. I do not want them to untie the blindfolds easily which is the reason why sovereign glue is there.