PDA

View Full Version : Ranged stacking 3.5

Reverse
2010-03-24, 08:57 AM
I have a +2 shortbow w/ shock.

As I understand it if my arrows where enhanced w/ fire/frost/shock etc it would not stack w/ the bow.

Would the exception to this be Bane? If I had an array of arrows with different general bane enhancements like good, evil, and neutral etc.

We are playing a craft heavy campaign so someone in the group can make just about anything with in our level, which is 7 atm.

Darrin
2010-03-24, 09:27 AM
I have a +2 shortbow w/ shock.

As I understand it if my arrows where enhanced w/ fire/frost/shock etc it would not stack w/ the bow.

Fire and Frost would actually stack. Shock arrows fired from a Shock bow wouldn't.

The *enhancement* bonus from arrows and bows no longer stack in 3.5. You need at least +1 arrows to enchant them with the Shock property, but you're firing them from a +2 bow, in which case the +2 enhancement bonus takes precedence over the arrows.

Weapon properties on both the bow and arrows should stack, so long as they are different properties.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-03-24, 12:20 PM
One of my house rules is the enchantment bonus on ammo and weapons stack.

Shocking arrows and bows wouldn't stack, but an arcane archer would certainly benefit from having a +5 bow.

Mauther
2010-03-24, 12:39 PM
Would the exception to this be Bane? If I had an array of arrows with different general bane enhancements like good, evil, and neutral etc.

Depends what you mean by stacking Bane. If you fired a +1 GoblinBane arrow off of a +2 shortbow (at a goblin), it would be a +3 arrow, not a +4. The bane effect only effects its own weapon's base. If it was a +1 Goblinbane-Magebane Arrow and you were firing it at a goblin sorcerer, its my understanding that those would stack, but I've never seen the relevant RAW. I feel a little uneasy with that ruling but that seems to be the general consensus.

I do seem to recall someone referencing a Sage ruling in the negative, but I've never seen the specifics. I can see the arguement going either way.

Voice of Reason
2010-03-24, 12:41 PM
Any magical properties on the arrows that are not on the bow are added to the bow's properties when making at attack with those arrows. In your case, a +2 shocking shortbow with +1 __ bane arrows would be a +2 shocking, __ bane attack.

As an aside, stacking shocking with flaming or freezing is legit. It's a strange concept to imagine, and some people (my former DM, for instance) will limit you to only one. By the rules though, you can stack away.

I'd recommend keeping a few distance and/or sleep arrows around, just a couple, using them situationally. Screaming "bolts" are also wonderful, relatively cheap ammo that can spread self-stacking fear conditions at low levels.

Zherog
2010-03-24, 01:10 PM
Depends what you mean by stacking Bane. If you fired a +1 GoblinBane arrow off of a +2 shortbow (at a goblin), it would be a +3 arrow, not a +4. The bane effect only effects its own weapon's base.

Just curious -- have an actual source for that underlined part of your post?

Curmudgeon
2010-03-24, 01:48 PM
The bane effect only effects its own weapon's base.
I think you're mistaken here, because I can't find any rule to such effect. There's a stacking exclusion for enhancement bonuses, but not for bane bonuses.
Ranged Weapons and Ammunition

The enhancement bonus from a ranged weapon does not stack with the enhancement bonus from ammunition. Only the higher of the two enhancement bonuses applies.