PDA

View Full Version : trying to make a good 13th level class 3.5

deephelldragon
2010-03-24, 09:40 AM
im trying to make a good 13th level monk/drunken master and i dont know what would make him better then any other class that i have made before i still need feats skills race and weapons / armor my stats are 18 ,17,15,18,16 18 if you could help that would be most helpfull

Caliphbubba
2010-03-24, 09:49 AM
I think the typical answer here is going to be:

there is no such thing as a 'good' monk

or

don't play a monk, play an unarmed swordsage.

not much of a help, sorry.

good luck.

deephelldragon
2010-03-24, 09:56 AM
and if you dont agree with the monk then mabey sombody could tell me a good 13th level class with those stats that will make everybody in my group say wow that is a good character

Eldariel
2010-03-24, 10:06 AM
1) Do you absolutely want to be a Drunken Master? It's a decent class, if not absolutely amazing, and it can be made quite impressive.
2) Do you truly want power? For that, Cleric or Wizard is your best bet. Monk is...the opposite of powerful. Cleric in particular can rock with those stats.

Also, care capitalize and all that? Makes your posts easier to read.

JeminiZero
2010-03-24, 10:06 AM
What sources are allowed?

The most ludicrous ECL 13 builds I can think of tend to be found in the Tests of Spite, although some are notably short on Endurance, and many will quickly get the DM to send the Emerald Legion after you.

Ossian
2010-03-24, 10:07 AM
im trying to make a good 13th level monk/drunken master and i dont know what would make him better then any other class that i have made before i still need feats skills race and weapons / armor my stats are 18 ,17,15,18,16 18 if you could help that would be most helpfull

Pretty spectacular ability scores there. Who are you playing, Hokuto no Ken?

Well, anyways, a good answer would depend on a few factors, like the "flavor" of the campaign (low or high magic? magic items available with WBL?) and the other party members (all tanks, skill monkeys, balanced etc...).

In general, I like the weapon finesse for rogues, so Dex is a must. Bonus to hit and defense, all in one.

DEX 18 (with w. finesse, bonus to hit AND AC)
CON 18
WIS 18 (bonus to AC)

INT 15 (you have enough skill points anyway)
CHA 17 (good for several feats)
STR 16

Monk 13 with this array is a pretty sweet character to play

deephelldragon
2010-03-24, 10:07 AM
my dm has not banned any source books yet

Caliphbubba
2010-03-24, 10:09 AM
what kind of character do you want to play? Melee? Caster?

at level 13 a wizard, cleric, or druid is going to be pretty sweet straight out of the box. the more bells and whistles you tack on the sweeter it'll get.

deephelldragon
2010-03-24, 10:09 AM
we have a couple of tanks some skill monkeys and 2 magic users all magic items are open my dm is pretty nice about that kind of stuff the race though can not be more then a +2 level ajustment

deephelldragon
2010-03-24, 10:14 AM
i think though that we need a defender for the spell caster all the other pary members just run up ahead i the ranger have to defend them i try to tell sombody like the fighter to defend but he does not listen to me so i have to be able to defend the spell casters

graymachine
2010-03-24, 10:15 AM
Setting aside the "ToB is the most awesome cheesy-cheese evar never play anything else" that you are likely to hear a lot of, what are you wanting to do with the monk? Do you want to be a grapple-monkey, tank (admittedly hard with a monk), a damage dealer, or something else entirely?

As just a general suggestion, you should be able to dip into Kensai for a level or two, just enough to enchant your fists to drain CON. That, combined with flurry of blows, is pretty decent. Also, spring for a Greater Magic Fang item and a Monk Belt, if you can afford it.

Killer Angel
2010-03-24, 10:15 AM
my stats are 18 ,17,15,18,16 18 if you could help that would be most helpfull

OK, the starting point (monk) is bad, but your stats...
Man, you've got three 18, and the worst one is a 15. Do you really need help? :smallamused:

Eldariel
2010-03-24, 10:44 AM
i think though that we need a defender for the spell caster all the other pary members just run up ahead i the ranger have to defend them i try to tell sombody like the fighter to defend but he does not listen to me so i have to be able to defend the spell casters

Are you sure you want to be powerful? 'cause then ToB is the wrong choice and Monk is the wrong choice. If you have those rolls and you want to be powerful and be able to do it all, build a melee Cleric:
18 Str, 18 Con, 18 Wis, 16 Cha, 17 Dex, 15 Int (yeah, your stats are a wee bit ridiculous). All level-up scores to Wisdom. This gives you the awesome that is spellcasting while also being able to kick ass in melee and be a spellcaster while protecting spellcasters.

Hell, make yourself a Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric); you don't really mind the BAB loss as you'll persist Divine Power every day anyways and the extra skill points don't hurt.

Then you go for Divine Metamagic [CDiv] with Persistent Spell [CArc] to Persist a bunch of spells every day, buy a bunch of Nightsticks [Libris Mortis] to fuel your Turn Undead-uses for it along with picking one or two Extra Turnings through Domains or feats. Then just pick Power Attack, use a two-handed weapon, pick Quicken Spell, prepare some combat magic while persisting Divine Power/Righteous Might/Divine Favor/Righteous Wrath of the Faithful/Holy Star/Surge of Fortune/Vigorous Circle/Conviction/Recitation and casting Magic Vestment + Greater Magic Weapon with Chain Spell (from Metamagic Rod, combined with Reach Spell in case of Magic Vestment) on everyone's armor and weapon the oldfashioned way along with Superior Resistance.

Then pick Domains that grant you feats (Planning for Extend Spell, Undeath for Extra Turning, Time for Improved Initiative, etc.) and ones that expand your spell selection (Spell-domain from Spell Compendium gets you access to many good Wizard-spells, for example; use PHBII "Domain Spontaneity" ACF) and profit. Prepare combat spells (stuff like Plane Shift; send 'em to Positive Energy Plane; Darkbolt [LoM], Silence, etc.) as everyone is regenerating thanks to Vigorous Circle so you needn't worry about them staying alive. Just in case, prepare Heal or two. And Revivify [SC].

All the stuff listed is in Completes, Player's Handbook II or Spell Compendium (except for Nightsticks which are Libris Mortis as mentioned). Basically only Complete Divine/Complete Arcane/Complete Champion.
Hell, you could even pick Planar Touchstone [PlH] to take Kobold (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a)-domain's granted power and be a trapfinder too if you happen to need one. But don't replace people if you don't have to.

However note that above is written with power in mind, since it sounds to me like that's what you're asking for. It may well be way too strong for your group so mind yourself and decide yourself how much power you want.

Soranar
2010-03-24, 11:00 AM
here's the cheesiest monk I could think of

The Drunken Dragon

Race: Earth Dwarf
Alignment: Lawful Good

template: Dragonborn of Bahamut (breathweapon)

STR 20
DEX 13
CON 27 (18 +2 racial+2 paragon+2 dragonborn +3 levels)
INT 15
WIS 18
CHA 14

monk style: undying way (from unearthed arcana)

1 Monk Great Fortitude bonus feat: toughness
2 Monk bonus feat: endurance
3 Dwarf Paragon Power Attack
4 Dwarf Paragon
5 Dwarf Paragon
6 Fist of the Forest Dodge
7 Deepwarden
8 Deepwarden
9 Drunken Master Draconic Aura: Toughness
10 Drunken Master
11 Drunken Master
12 Drunken Master Quicken breath
13 Drunken Master

feats explanation:

great fortitude, power attack, endurance are all requirements

power attack can be useful with 2 handed improved weapons though (1 recommend a 15 ft ladder to use as a reach weapon, make it magical so it doesn't break or carry a bunch in a bag of holding)

Draconic aura : toughness gives you (and your allies) damage resistance 2 (at level 13, +3 at 14 and finally +4 at 20)

its a swift action to turn it on, free action to turn off, unlimited uses and length (you only have 1 so it doesn't matter)

quicken breath makes your breath weapon a free action (every little extra damage helps) but takes +4 rounds to recharge (so every 1d4+4 rounds )

the breath weapon is mostly for fun but you can trade it for wings and take a different feat

your AC is 2x your Con score + your Wis score so you start at +20 without magical items or the effects of feats