PDA

View Full Version : Turning a soulknife into a Sith

gallagher
2010-03-24, 10:07 AM
Ok, so in this partial gestalt game I am in, I was asked to change my race due to a few technical problems. That is no bother, but a change in race is like a change in character for me, so that is precisely what I am doing.

With that in mind, I want to be a Sith. It's an evil campaign, and I can gestalt tier 5 classes. So far, in an 8th level build, I am thinking of gestalting ninja with my soulknife. Doing precision damage is a bit more flavorful I think, and there is another ninja build in our group so we could flank out the wazoo. Also there are feats that allow me to spend pp for extra d6.

My question is this: what els would go well with this build? What gear should I look into buying? What other classes should I be gestalting with, and should I be any race other that human? I was actually considering going with whisper gnome for the con and dex bonuses, since strength isn't my main means of damage.

And fwiw, my blade shall be purple

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-24, 10:16 AM
Ok, so in this partial gestalt game I am in, I was asked to change my race due to a few technical problems. That is no bother, but a change in race is like a change in character for me, so that is precisely what I am doing.

With that in mind, I want to be a Sith. It's an evil campaign, and I can gestalt tier 5 classes. So far, in an 8th level build, I am thinking of gestalting ninja with my soulknife. Doing precision damage is a bit more flavorful I think, and there is another ninja build in our group so we could flank out the wazoo. Also there are feats that allow me to spend pp for extra d6.

My question is this: what els would go well with this build? What gear should I look into buying? What other classes should I be gestalting with, and should I be any race other that human? I was actually considering going with whisper gnome for the con and dex bonuses, since strength isn't my main means of damage.

And fwiw, my blade shall be purple

Well i forsee a few problems. 1 if it is ninja out of complete adventurer you don't get sudden strike when flanking. 2. soul knife and ninja due link up pritty well however going soulknife/psi warrior or soulknife/psion may be better.

Optimystik
2010-03-24, 10:20 AM
Be a Warlock instead. Take Eldritch Glaive (Dragon Magic) and a bunch of evil-sounding invocations. Bam, instant Sith.

Leaps and Bounds - Force Jump
Eldritch Chain - Force Lightning
Beguiling Influence - Mind Trick

etc.

EDIT: If you really want to go psionic, be a Psychic Warrior instead with the soulbound weapon ACF (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) (for a lightsaber) and you'll have a bunch of powers that can simulate force abilities. You'll also get Wis to your AC, ki pool and PP all at once.

tl;dr: there's no reason to be a Soulknife in this build.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-24, 10:22 AM
O ya...

that brings up a good point..

warlock/psiwarrior would work.

Soonerdj
2010-03-24, 10:29 AM
Hey Gallagher I like the Psychic Warrior ideas but also Soulknife would pair up better with Rokugan Ninja.

DragonOfLies
2010-03-24, 10:49 AM
I can gestalt tier 5 classes.

going soulknife/psi warrior or soulknife/psion may be better.

I think Gallagher wants tier 5 classes. I like the Warlock idea though.

Adonis1x23
2010-03-24, 11:26 AM
I second the psychic warrior//warlock. That would be awesome.

Soonerdj
2010-03-24, 11:32 AM
Tier 5 classes include:

Fighter, Monk, CA Ninja, Healer, Swashbuckler, Rokugan Ninja, Soulknife, Expert, OA Samurai, Paladin, Knight

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-24, 11:56 AM
I actually suggest Soulknife 10/Iaijutsu Master 10//Warblade 10/Samurai 1/Warlock 9

Be LE, and voila, you are Palpatine @ 20th level.

Thrawn183
2010-03-24, 12:49 PM
Why not be a Healer and claim that you can stop death itself?

Optimystik
2010-03-24, 12:55 PM
Why not be a Healer and claim that you can stop death itself?

Because, ironically, they're not very good at that :smallsigh:

I'd probably be a Ninja//Healer with Intuitive Attack. You can safely dump Charisma - almost none of your spells are offensive.

RP it as a doctor whose knowledge of anatomy helps him find pressure points on his targets to SS.

taltamir
2010-03-24, 01:33 PM
Be a Warlock instead. Take Eldritch Glaive (Dragon Magic) and a bunch of evil-sounding invocations. Bam, instant Sith.

Leaps and Bounds - Force Jump
Eldritch Chain - Force Lightning
Beguiling Influence - Mind Trick

etc.

EDIT: If you really want to go psionic, be a Psychic Warrior instead with the soulbound weapon ACF (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) (for a lightsaber) and you'll have a bunch of powers that can simulate force abilities. You'll also get Wis to your AC, ki pool and PP all at once.

tl;dr: there's no reason to be a Soulknife in this build.

I like this, especially if you want to be a new school sith...

old school - maybe call back your sword once a battle, shooting lightening at someone ruins your health.
or new school - AoE blast everyone, lead over buildings, CRUSH a walker into a tiny ball with the force, bring down a star cruiser with the force (by physically pulling it down rather then by flipping a few switches that cause the engines to shut down).

even if you don't want to be new school, a warlock or a psion is much more capable of emulating a sith... a soulknife is a crippled warrior with 1 ability... "has a sword"... it emulates a 5gp item at the cost of utterly sucking. and it cannot do ANYTHING sith like (jumping, mind control, etc etc).

Person_Man
2010-03-24, 02:13 PM
Shameless homebrew plug (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92407).

deuxhero
2010-03-24, 02:54 PM
But the Soulknife class is already... oh, Sith.

arguskos
2010-03-24, 03:12 PM
Shameless homebrew plug (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92407).
Beat me to it. I was gonna plug the Force Adept for ya. I've got a Force Adept NPC in my campaign atm, and am finding him entertaining to run, if not amazing. He's fun though.

Person_Man
2010-03-24, 04:21 PM
Beat me to it. I was gonna plug the Force Adept for ya. I've got a Force Adept NPC in my campaign atm, and am finding him entertaining to run, if not amazing. He's fun though.

Glad to see the Adept in use. Not to derail the thread, but how strong is the Adept in your game? When I play tested him, he seemed to be a low-tier 3 class - not as flexible or strong as Tome of Battle/Psychic Warrior/Binder/Totemist, but hilariously fun in his abilities.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-24, 04:28 PM
But the Soulknife class is already... oh, Sith.

I see what you did thar.:smallwink::smallbiggrin:

Merk
2010-03-24, 05:10 PM
Paladin of Tyranny or Slaughter // Soulknife gives you what you want and works pretty well, I think, both for crunch and fluff.

Gets you full BAB, all good saves (plus charisma to all saves, or Wisdom with the serenity feat), a nice aura of debuffing, turning undead (which you can use to fuel devotion feats or something), divine spells (which also means wand use), and all the stuff that comes with soulknife. You can forgo the mount for the charging smite ACF, and then you can combine Psychic Strike with a partial charge and a smite for pretty good damage.

Another fun tier 5 gestalt might be Swashbuckler // Expert (although it doesn't really fit your concept); it'd be like a mini Factotum.

If you're allowed to multiclass (without gestalt) out of tier 5, you could do something like Rogue 4 / (Swashbuckler // Soulknife) with Daring outlaw to get full BAB and Sneak Attack, which would allow you to get precision damage when flanking. You can also do the Psychic Strike + partial charge here but hopefully with a flanking buddy so you get sneak attack dice as well.