PDA

View Full Version : Warforged Artificer [3.5]

Noedig
2010-03-24, 10:13 AM
I'll be playing in an Eberron Campaign soon, and the warforged artificer seems like to cool of a concept to pass up. However, artificers are a new experience for me, as are warforged.

We'll be starting at level 4 or 5 so I my plan is to have the given item creation feats, a single sub level at 4 (tools of war), pick up adamantine body (+8 ac, DR/2 adamantine) at level 1, Legendary artisan at 3 (25% reduction of xp cost), and whatever the artisan feat that reduces gp cost as my bonus feat. If we start at 5th level I might pick up craft construct to offset my lack of familiar, and build some.

How does that sound? Any helpful advice?

FishAreWet
2010-03-24, 10:17 AM
Don't bother spending a feat on Adamantine Body. Pick a route. Blasting or Contructs. Or buffing I guess. Reduce time or gold, XP cost is negligible because of you're massive reserve and XP being a river and all.

Get a Devoted Wight or whatever it's called to start building things for you. Keep it in a portable hole.

DragonOfLies
2010-03-24, 10:57 AM
If you're into mad scientists, you can be a human/dwarf/whatever and go Artificer/Renegade Mastermaker (Magic of Eberron). You can also get construct grafts (Faiths of Eberron)

You might also want to look at the Psionic Artificer (but don't both with Psiforged body if you're playing Warforged because Artificers don't use pp)

That being said, your current build seems fine. The artificer feats work nicely with Craft Construct.

Eldariel
2010-03-24, 11:29 AM
I'll be playing in an Eberron Campaign soon, and the warforged artificer seems like to cool of a concept to pass up. However, artificers are a new experience for me, as are warforged.

We'll be starting at level 4 or 5 so I my plan is to have the given item creation feats, a single sub level at 4 (tools of war), pick up adamantine body (+8 ac, DR/2 adamantine) at level 1, Legendary artisan at 3 (25% reduction of xp cost), and whatever the artisan feat that reduces gp cost as my bonus feat. If we start at 5th level I might pick up craft construct to offset my lack of familiar, and build some.

How does that sound? Any helpful advice?

The first sublevel is very good coming at practically nil cost. Tools of War is good too, but only with the reservation that you pick Craft Construct. You want Dedicated Wrights to craft you stuff and other Homunculi are useful too; Craft Construct works for them, while also giving you the ability to craft Golems.

So...yeah, go from there. Sounds good.

panaikhan
2010-03-24, 11:59 AM
I am currently playing a Warforged Artificer, and I started out much as you have detailed (including adamantine body).
For my fifth level, I took the substitution level for artificers, and crafted a Weapon Familiar. I ran through the details with the DM, and crafted a 'tail' Familiar (basically a secondary slam attack, to offset the fact that Warforged do NOT get extra slam attacks as their BAB goes up).

Playing an Artificer, expect to use a lot of your 'hero' points (or whatever they are called) turning minute-buffs into round-buffs: Bane is a VERY usefull ability to call up 'on the fly' - especially when your weapon familiar can share them!

Due to the adamantine body, I was often drafted into front-line combat, which altered by progression goal somewhat - My Warforged is currently Artificer 5 / Fighter 2 / Juggernaut 3 :smallbiggrin:

Noedig
2010-03-24, 01:24 PM
Eventually with this character I would like to build a golem or two. I also want to awaken them eventually. You know, start a family. A question about the Awaken construct spell, it requires a fresh brain from a humanoid IIRC. That likely means I have to kill someone or rob a fresh grave to get one, right?

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-24, 01:28 PM
Or just scoop one out of the many orcs, kobolds and goblins all adventurers tend to kill along the way.

The Glyphstone
2010-03-24, 01:30 PM
There's also another feat in one of the Faerun books, though I don't remember which one, which flatly reduces all aspects of a specific crafting feat (time, gold, and money) by 25%, which logically does stack with the Ebberon individual feats. Grab that as your first priority if you can.

Noedig
2010-03-24, 05:59 PM
I believe that is Magical Artisan in the Players Guide to Faerun. Choose an item creation feat and multiply the base cost in xp and raw materials by 75% when creating items related to that feat.

Does that mean if I picked Craft wondrous item as the applying feat, I would multiply by 75% to get my new cost or do i add the result of the multiplication?