PDA

View Full Version : Illusion Aid

Jastermereel
2010-03-24, 02:36 PM
So I'm going to start throwing some illusions at my players this weekend for the first time and wanted some advice.

The rules seem pretty clear about simple concepts (a hole covered by illusory floor), but what about more complex setups? Should it be harder to make the illusion-resisting throw on a silent image if the truth is closer to the illusion? With the hole/floor setup, it's a pretty stark difference, but what if I hide a wooden wall with a Japanese style paper wall (masking it's potential vulnerability to a PC's crazed barbarian). What if it's a wooden or plaster wall? Should it be harder to recognize the material discrepancy than it is to recognize that there's nothing there at all? On a related note, I realize that silent image says "The illusion does not create sound, smell, texture, or temperature." (emphasis added) but I can't seem to find any mention of the later illusion spells including texture (though they include sound, smell and temperature).

Also, can I use an illusion to make a PC think a hallway goes on for longer than it does, and if so, what happens? That is, instead of seeing a wall, they would see another 10-20 feet or so of hallway with a door at the end. Ignoring any nose-bumping damage issues, would the illusion be broken by them running into the real wall? In the book's hole/floor idea, "A character who falls through a section of illusory floor into a pit knows something is amiss," but running into a wall isn't the same. It could be a Wall of Force preventing them from passing, no?

Beyond those two questions, any general advice for a illusion-noob DM on the perils and pitfalls of this staple of magic?

valadil
2010-03-24, 02:55 PM
The best advice I can give for this is that it's all just DM fiat.

I usually give players an innovation bonus. When they try something new or interesting it's more likely to work. There's no universal justification for this, I just like creativity.

As far as the extended hallway goes, I'd treat that illusion as a picture painted over the actual end of the hallway. Touching walls would do nothing until they got to the end of the hall. If they tried to walk through they'd interact with the illusion and get a saving throw.

Yuki Akuma
2010-03-24, 03:26 PM
If a guy runs into a wall masked by an illusion, he gets a save to determine if it's an illusion or not. If he makes the save, one assumes he thinks it's an invisible wall, rather than a wall masked by an illusion to make the room look bigger.

Private-Prinny
2010-03-24, 03:29 PM
My personal favorite is to use Mirage Arcana to create the illusion of a pit of spikes, use it again, and then have an actual pit of spikes later in the dungeon.

Jastermereel
2010-03-24, 03:34 PM
If a guy runs into a wall masked by an illusion, he gets a save to determine if it's an illusion or not. If he makes the save, one assumes he thinks it's an invisible wall, rather than a wall masked by an illusion to make the room look bigger.

Isn't that backwards? He'd continue to see the illusion and "perceive" an imagined invisible wall only if he failed the save, no? If he makes the save, wouldn't he see the real wall (leaving him to draw his own conclusions about the real wall)?

Lysander
2010-03-24, 04:37 PM
If they touch an illusion they'll go through it, then automatically disbelieve the illusion. There's no mime effect.

Yuki Akuma
2010-03-24, 04:39 PM
Isn't that backwards? He'd continue to see the illusion and "perceive" an imagined invisible wall only if he failed the save, no? If he makes the save, wouldn't he see the real wall (leaving him to draw his own conclusions about the real wall)?

I meant if he fails the save, yes. :smallredface:

Jastermereel
2010-03-24, 05:31 PM
If they touch an illusion they'll go through it, then automatically disbelieve the illusion. There's no mime effect.

I'm not sure which you're refuting.

The idea is to superimpose the illusion on a surface. It isn't a stone wall illusion 5 feet in front of a wooden or paper wall; it's just on the surface. My barbarian player might not attack a stone wall...maybe...but she'd have no problem with paper or wood.

The other one has nothing to go through to. It's the wall.