PDA

View Full Version : Question about Epic spell slots and the Darth V plot

Vemynal
2010-03-24, 04:05 PM
So I haven't ever played a D&D campaign where Epic spell slots was ever an issue and while I recently read the entire SRD site about Epic Spells to try and figure this out I found nothing on the matter

How does someone 'Quicken' Disintegrate or cast 'Maximized' Energy Drain?

while I know all epic spells are designated as '10th level' disintegrate is a 7th level spell, so quickening it would boost it 4 spell levels (total 11)

Energy Drain is a 9th level spell so Maximizing it would be placing it as a '12th level' spell

Did they simply use a seed to create a replica of Disintegrate that would work as a fast action? And whats with the Energy Drain?

Kish
2010-03-24, 04:10 PM
So I haven't ever played a D&D campaign where Epic spell slots was ever an issue and while I recently read the entire SRD site about Epic Spells to try and figure this out I found nothing on the matter

How does someone 'Quicken' Disintegrate or cast 'Maximized' Energy Drain?
Use epic feats to get tenth and twelfth-level spell slots, respectively.

Edit: Look again, incidentally. Disintegrate is a sixth level spell. So Spliced-Vaarsuvius used a tenth level spell slot to cast Quickened Disintegrate.

Remmirath
The answer lies in the feat Improved Spell Capacity. Take that three times and you have 12th level spell slots.
Also, Improved Metamagic helps with that a bit.

Epic spells are essentially a different thing than 10th level spells, even if they are sometimes treated the same.

You could do it by seeds as well, but the feat way is the simpler explanation.

Frozen_Feet
I don't recall the rules well, but I think Epic progression allows casting of higher than 9th level spells, allowed by metamagic. Also, metamagic reducers.

Douglas
2010-03-24, 04:25 PM
Epic spells are considered 10th level for cases where spell level matters, but they use spell slots that are entirely separate from the normal progression. Epic spells are cast from Epic spell slots, which are gained by taking the Epic Spellcasting feat and having lots of ranks in the relevant knowledge skill(s). These "epic" spell slots can only be used to cast epic spells. Even if you wanted to use an epic slot to cast Meteor Swarm, you would not be able to.

Spells like Quickened Disintegrate and Maximized Energy Drain use spell slots that still have a numeric level rather than just being "epic", the level involved just happens to be higher than 9. These spell slots are gained by taking the Improved Spell Capacity feat, potentially multiple times. They cannot be used to cast epic spells. Applying metamagic feats to spells that would normally be too high level is their primary and almost only purpose.

(name here)
2010-03-24, 04:30 PM
The third way is a metamagic rod, that allows the owner to add the rod's metamagic feat to a spell without adding to the spell level three times per day.

Neopolis
2010-03-24, 04:53 PM
The third way is a metamagic rod, that allows the owner to add the rod's metamagic feat to a spell without adding to the spell level three times per day.
Of course, V has no such item. The Soul Splice wouldn't have given her any items... Except a wardrobe change, apparently. :smallamused:

Vemynal
2010-03-24, 08:22 PM
ok! thank you everyone suddenly this makes so much more sense!

just to clarify though:

I turn level 21, lets say I have 9th level spells and take that feat and gain '10th level' spell slot

I need an intelligence of 20 to cast the spell from this slot right?

21 for an 11th level spell
22 for a 12th level spell

also, the chart shows intelligence modifers of +10! how in the name of all thats fluffy does someone get an intelligence modifer of even that high? let alone higher!

my character has 20 int, even with the +6 headband of int thats only a modifier of +8 O.o

edit: oh god...quickened maximized Energy Drain @ level 30 if you took that feat each time O.o

actually wouldn't it be more useful to take Automatic Maximized spell and Automatic Quicken spell?

Zherog
2010-03-24, 09:06 PM
ok! thank you everyone suddenly this makes so much more sense!

just to clarify though:

I turn level 21, lets say I have 9th level spells and take that feat and gain '10th level' spell slot

I need an intelligence of 20 to cast the spell from this slot right?

21 for an 11th level spell
22 for a 12th level spell

No, you need the ability score + 10 to cast spells of that level, but not to use the slots. For example, an 18th level wizard with an 18 Int would still have 9th level spell slots; she couldn't use those slots to prepare and cast 9th level spells, but she could either prepare lower level spells in those slots, or prepare metamagic versions of lower level spells.

also, the chart shows intelligence modifers of +10! how in the name of all thats fluffy does someone get an intelligence modifer of even that high? let alone higher!

my character has 20 int, even with the +6 headband of int thats only a modifier of +8 O.o

Start at 18, through 20 levels you get 5 stat increases; put all those int Int and you're at 23. Get a +6 headband and you're at 29. Get a tome (or cast 5 wishes) for another +5, and now you're at 34.

Ancalagon
2010-03-25, 04:49 AM
Start at 18, through 20 levels you get 5 stat increases; put all those int Int and you're at 23. Get a +6 headband and you're at 29. Get a tome (or cast 5 wishes) for another +5, and now you're at 34.

... and have fun playing a char that has a Int of 34. The player's human mind (I assume you are human, no offense for those from Mars, Omega 7, or Hell!) that's around 10 and maxes out at 18 (Einstein et al) will surely have no issue at all to simulate a convincing Int-34-character... ;)

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-25, 05:57 AM
Of course after Level 21 you can have items at higher than +6 too.