PDA

View Full Version : Cosmic Mage (3.5 homebrewed prestige class)

Enriss
2010-03-24, 05:50 PM
I'm fairly new to D&D, and after playing a bit I've decided to try my hand at homebrewing, the results of which are below... Any suggestions? I can't really gauge if this class would be viable, and so I'm open to all manner of constructive criticism or the cold hard truth that my creation is a horrid mockery of all that is pure and good and mechanically balanced in roleplaying. Also, if anyone can think of any good synonyms for "cosmic" or "cosmos," I would be grateful. So far, I've got macrocosm, multiverse, existence, and the planes. I have had no luck with alternate terms for "cosmic" that don't refer to some already existing facet of the game (such as "astral")

Cosmic Mage

To the ordinary observer, the multiverse may appear to be a chaotic swirl of events, ruled by gods, elementals, and spirits. Cosmic Magi, however, have learned to look beyond the apparent disorder of the planes, and seek the pure, mathematically precise patterns of existence. In their quest for this ancient and powerful lore, Cosmic Magi unlock the ability to call upon the might of the macrocosm itself, becoming conduits of unprecedented astral power.

Characteristics: Cosmic Magi have one defining characteristic: their thirst for the fundamental laws of the multiverse. Apart from the objective of their constant quest, very few Cosmic Magi are terribly similar; some seek power, others wish only for knowledge, while others see themselves as vessels of some vast cosmic will. Many Cosmic Magi seem detached from current events; a lifetime spent studying the vastness of eternity can make a war of succession or an evil wizard seem like a triviality. Overall, however, a Cosmic Mage will forge his own path to the secrets of planes, and will have little in common with fellow members of the class.

Religion: Cosmic Magi do not often revere gods; they seek knowledge of the pure laws of the multiverse, not whatever entities may have declared themselves sovereign over a small part of its infinite extent. Those that do practice an organized religion often worship Boccob, out of respect for his quest for universal knowledge.

Alignment: The cosmos are inherently balanced, so a Cosmic Mage must be neutral along one axis of alignment. Without understanding actions and reactions and accepting contradictions, one's worldview is too skewed to appreciate the intricate dance of the macrocosm.

Other Classes: Almost all Cosmic Magi are wizards, although a sorcerer may take the Skill Knowledge feat to reach the requisite ranks in Knowledge (the planes). In any event, a Cosmic Mage will often identify with his previous class, interacting with other classes accordingly. However, some Cosmic Magi are loners driven solely by their quest for knowledge and may shun their peers, but this level of isolation is rare among more gregarious humanoids.

HD d4
Prerequisites:
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 12 ranks, Knowledge (the planes) 12 ranks
Spells: Must be able to cast 5th level arcane spells, must be able to cast scrying and arcane sight.
Feats: Spell Focus (conjuration), Spell Focus (divination)
Special: The character must have been instructed by an outsider or another Cosmic Mage to learn to draw upon ambient cosmic energy.

Class skills: Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Profession, Spellcraft
Skill points per level: 2 +Int modifier

Proficiencies:
A Cosmic Mage gains no additional armor or weapon proficiencies.

Cosmic Mage
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Cosmic Might|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Improved Scrying|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Cosmic Might 2/day|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Cosmic Awareness|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Cosmic Bolt|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Cosmic Might 3/day|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Planar Traveler|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Cosmic Might 4/day, Greater Cosmic Awareness|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Cosmic Tempest|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Gate of Eternity, Cosmic Might 5/day, Perfect Cosmic Might|+1 level of existing spellcasting class [/table]

Cosmic Might: The signature ability of a Cosmic Mage is Cosmic Might, a supernatural ability which may be activated once per day, and one additional time per day every other level. Activating Cosmic Might is an immediate action. Upon activation, the Cosmic Mage gains a +4 cosmic bonus to Wisdom and a +4 cosmic bonus to his or her relevant spellcasting stat (Intelligence for wizards, Charisma for sorcerers). The Cosmic Mage also gains a cosmic bonus to Armor Class equal to his or her newly improved Wisdom Modifier, and may add his or her Wisdom modifier to the damage dealt by any damaging spell. Cosmic Might lasts 3 rounds, plus a number of additional rounds equal to the Cosmic Mage's new Wisdom modifier. After the Cosmic Might effect subsides, the Cosmic Mage is mentally drained, incurring a -2 penalty to Intelligence and Charisma for the rest of the encounter.

Improved Scrying: What are the chances of obtaining universal knowledge if you can't observe the universe? A Cosmic Mage of 4th level or higher does not need an arcane focus or material component to cast scrying, and may scry on an unfamiliar subject without a material connection. In addition, the subject of the scrying gains no bonus to his or her Will save for being on a different plane.

Cosmic Awareness: As a Cosmic Mage gains a greater understanding of the underlying forces of the universe, he or she becomes attuned to its smallest rhythms, granting a permanent +1 cosmic bonus to Wisdom at 4th level, and again at 8th. These bonuses stack.

Cosmic Bolt: A Cosmic Mage of 5th level or higher can, while affected by Cosmic Might, sacrifice an unused spell slot to channel a bolt of pure cosmic energy, making a ranged touch attack (range of long, 400 ft +40 ft/ class level) dealing 1d6 untyped damage per two class levels, and an additional 1d6 damage per level of the spell slot sacrificed to create the effect.

Planar Traveler: A Cosmic Mage of 7th level or higher is adept at navigating the multiverse; his plane shift spells never end up off-target and he incurs no penalties to skill checks from the environment of a foreign plane.

Cosmic Tempest: A Cosmic Mage of 9th level or higher can, while affected by Cosmic Might, invoke Cosmic Tempest, sacrificing an unused spell slot to cause a contiguous area encompassing 60 square feet (12 squares) to erupt in pure cosmic energy, dealing 1d6 untyped damage per Cosmic Mage level, plus 1d6 additional damage per level of the spell slot sacrificed to create the effect, each round to any creature in the area. The effect may last as long as the Cosmic Mage concentrates (Concentration DC 19 + number of rounds that the effect has been active) and is affected by Cosmic Might, Invoking Cosmic Tempest increases the Intelligence and Charisma penalty incurred at the end of the Cosmic Might effect by one. Additional uses of the ability further increase the penalty.

Perfect Cosmic Might: A Cosmic Mage of 10th level or higher no longer becomes mentally drained after using Cosmic Might (although penalties from using Cosmic Tempest still accrue).

Gate of Eternity: A true master of the power of the cosmos can call upon the awesome power of the Gate of Eternity. Once a week, a Cosmic Mage of 10th level or higher can summon the Gate of Eternity while affected by Cosmic Might. Any creatures who see the Cosmic Mage invoke the Gate of Eternity must make a Will save (DC 19 + relevant ability modifier) or become shaken. This effect functions like the calling effect of a gate spell, except that the caster can control up to twice his caster level in HD of monsters (rather than up to his caster level), can summon different types of creatures from different planes, and does not need to expend XP to create the effect. While the Gate of Eternity is active, the caster may use a move action to summon additional creatures through it (usually to replace fallen monsters). The Gate of Eternity will last as long as the caster is affected by Cosmic Might, after which the Gate will close and all summoned monsters will be pulled back to their native plane. A Cosmic Mage who invokes this ability loses all further uses of Cosmic Might for the day.

JoshuaZ
2010-03-24, 06:46 PM
Ok. First of all, formatting would make this much easier to read. See some of the other recent PrCs to get an idea of how to format them well. I haven't had time to look at the PrC yet in detail and will comment later. However, I don't see class skills listed or skill points per a level.

The character must have been instructed by an outsider another Cosmic Mage to learn to draw upon ambient cosmic energy.

Do you mean "outsider or another"?

Temotei
2010-03-24, 06:55 PM
The +2 Wisdom, -2 Constitution is a penalty to most arcane spellcasting classes (the exception is the homebrewed class by Jacarath, the intuimancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144932).).

+1 Wisdom at 3rd and 8th wouldn't be bad though. In fact, +2 at both levels wouldn't be too bad. But -2 Constitution is a fairly large penalty for an ability score rarely used by spellcasters.

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313&highlight=Guide+Homebrewing). Formatting is awesome. :smallwink:

Enriss
2010-03-25, 09:54 AM
Ok, I've fixed the formatting, so the class table should be decipherable now. Sorry about that before, tables are not my forte. Also, I've taken Temotei's advice on the Wisdom bonus and Constitution penalty. How does it look now? Thanks for the suggestions, by the way. :smallsmile:

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-25, 10:01 AM
Not sure about Gate of Eternity (don't have time right now), but I'm liking this class. But then again I'm a sucker for Scrying (Voyeuristic Seer ftw :smallcool:)

Deth Muncher
2010-03-25, 10:54 AM
Not sure about Gate of Eternity (don't have time right now), but I'm liking this class. But then again I'm a sucker for Scrying (Voyeuristic Seer ftw :smallcool:)

Well secluded, you see all?

Anyway, very neat class. I likes it, and I feel it would serve very well for a BBEG. Works well with the line "UNLIMITED POWAAAAAAH!"

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-25, 03:35 PM
Well secluded, you see all?

Anyway, very neat class. I likes it, and I feel it would serve very well for a BBEG. Works well with the line "UNLIMITED POWAAAAAAH!"

Only character who's used it became addicted to Scrying on people and had to buy a Ring of Sustenance to keep himself alive during his marathons :smallcool:

I really like this class. I will try to use it in the future.