PDA

View Full Version : Grappling + Spiked Armor Question [3.5]

ScorpioRage
2010-03-24, 06:09 PM
Okay, I've looked around and haven't come to a conclusion. Does spiked armor deal damage every time you succeed a grapple check?

Example in mind: Half Minotaur Goliath Fighter wearing spiked full plate successfully grapples an opponent dealing 1d8 damage (Large Spike Damage) the round after that, when they make an opposed grapple roll to attack if the grapple check is successful does the spiked armor do 1d8 along with the 1d8 damage from a gore attack (Natural Attack for Half Min's.) Or just the 1d8 from the gore attack?

Evard
2010-03-24, 06:14 PM
Sure why not? And if it doesn't this is one of those times where it should.

gdiddy
2010-03-24, 06:18 PM
Wouldn't that also mean a human in spiked armor would do 1d3 in a succesful grapple, plus the 1d6 from the armor? Eh, not sure if I allow this, mostly because the prospect of Superior Unarmed Strike and other abuses possible.

MachineWraith
2010-03-24, 06:21 PM
I was under the impression that the spikes counted as a light weapon, and thus you could use them in a grapple to deal damage like they were any other light weapon. The benefit being that the spikes are all over you at all times, so you'd never be unarmed in a grapple, and never have to waste time drawing your dagger.

ScorpioRage
2010-03-24, 06:26 PM
Yes you can attack with the spikes as a light weapon in a grapple. I'm just using gore to point out that the damage would be from two separate sources

@gdiddy: A human could deal 1d6 damage since spiked armor counts as a light weapon when you attack with it with the 1d6 damage from grappling with the spiked armor.