PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer going into Swiftblade.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-24, 07:04 PM
Today in school one of my friends for my group said he was going to give DM-ing a shot this weekende ; and that I should prepare a level 1 character.

And now I come to the playground for advice.

I rolled the following stats

STR 11, DEX 14, CON 12, INT 12, WIS 13 CHA 18 (pretty good stats IMO)

and my race is a somewhat modified lesser aasimar, I keep the stat bonus, darkvision and racial bonus to spot. but I loose the daylight SLA and the energy resistance, (in exchange I get a bonus feat)

so after racial mods I am looking at STR 11 DEX 14 CON 12 WIS 15 CHA 20.

I am planningon going Stalwart sorcerer to start on a more "gishy" chasis, to off-set the spell known, I convinced my friend to let exchange the Familiar for the Domain wizard ACF (now obviously renamed Domain Sorcerer).

I am planning on getting the transmutation domain which gets awesome spells such as haste, shapechange, polymorph, dissintigrate (:smallbiggrin:) and others.

I have access to one flaw, and I am considering asking my friend if a mild phobia count as a flaw.

my character now looks something like this

1 Draconic Heritage (just for the CL bump on wings of flurry/cover which I will get ASAP)
Flaw: Expeditous Dodge
BF Arcane Disciple (War or competition I want Divine power) or Versatile spell caster.
Stalwart Sorcerer: MWP Heavy Flail and WF Heavy Flail.

My spells known are:
0-lvl
Prestidigitation
Launch Bolt (offense at low-leves)
Caltrops
Mage Hand (Transmutation Domain)
Arcane Mark

1st Lvl
expeditous retreat (Transmutation Domain)
and I am not sure of the other one, grease, ray of enfeeblement, nerveskitter or mighty wallop.

So what do you think?

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-03-24, 07:10 PM
If using Sorcerer as the base, use just plain old Sorcerer. Both Stalwart and Battle hit you in the pants when it comes to spells known, which is double-plus-ungood. With Swiftblade, you are also more likely to lose out on the juicy 9s. As such, I'm inclined to use Wizard instead.

However, Kobolds come to save the day, as usual. Starting off as a Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold Sorcerer 6 with the Greater Draconic Right means you're casting as a wizard, basically. This lets you hit up to Swiftblade 9 without losing access to 9th level spells pre-epic.

If your lactose tolerance is high, you may also ask the DM to be a Loredrake kobold so that your net lose is only one caster level from all of Swiftblade, but I wouldn't push it.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-24, 07:15 PM
If using Sorcerer as the base, use just plain old Sorcerer. Both Stalwart and Battle hit you in the pants when it comes to spells known, which is double-plus-ungood. With Swiftblade, you are also more likely to lose out on the juicy 9s. As such, I'm inclined to use Wizard instead.

However, Kobolds come to save the day, as usual. Starting off as a Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold Sorcerer 6 with the Greater Draconic Right means you're casting as a wizard, basically. This lets you hit up to Swiftblade 9 without losing access to 9th level spells pre-epic.

If your lactose tolerance is high, you may also ask the DM to be a Loredrake kobold so that your net lose is only one caster level from all of Swiftblade, but I wouldn't push it.

The stalwart sorcerer is somewhat countered by the domain sorcerer variant rule (domain wizard but to sorcerer houseruled)

Also... my friend I am discuraged from playing kobolds in my group:smallredface: (one instance of cheese and they never let it down)

So that is out.
also this is a campaing starting at level 1

Human Paragon 3
2010-03-24, 07:24 PM
This seems like a solid choice to me, actually. The domain should counteract most of the hit from stalwart and give you some good offense. Make sure to focus on self-buffing and the like since you are going into melee with that gish chassis.

I would also recommend Arcane Spellsurge, which will let you cast a quickened spell every turn. This way you can spellcast and attack every turn! Wings of cover, and basically ANY spell that doesn't cost a standard action make excellent choices for your battle sorcerer.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-24, 07:26 PM
Yeahm but spell surge is quite far on the horizon (remember we start at level 1)

Human Paragon 3
2010-03-24, 07:47 PM
Never hurts to plan ahead is all. Spell Compendium swift and immediate action spells will perform much the same function.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-24, 07:49 PM
Never hurts to plan ahead is all. Spell Compendium swift and immediate action spells will perform much the same function.

Oh that is very true. I will take it into consideration.