PDA

View Full Version : Little things that drive you crazy

Inhuman Bot
2010-03-24, 07:16 PM
I'm sure all of you are like me. There's little things that just bug you. Not really enough to get angry about, but just enough to complain about. :smalltongue:

I, of course, have such a thing to grumble about. Three actually.

So, I was at school today and there was a person who kept using the term "ironic" incorrectly.

It really started annoying me.

Then I realized that I didn't want to walk up to a total stranger and tell them they were using "ironic" incorrectly.

Really annoying. >.>

And this forum's 500 charcter signature limit. It means that I just can't fit in my past avatars into a spoiler.

Lastly. Our school has alcohol based hand sanitizer containers around the classrooms and such. It's scented, but not really enough to notice unless you happen to have your hands by your face. I had used some earlier as I got a little cut and wasn't able to wash my hands right after.

As I was going to eat lunch, I had my hands by my face, so when I took a bite of the sandwich I was eating, I kept feeling like my hands weren't clean because of that. >.>

So yeah. Grumbling about things like this helps me feel better about them, and so might it for you. :smalltongue:

Player
2010-03-24, 07:25 PM
I go crazy when you are in my way in the morning. Being a serious night owl, I tend to go crazy/be a zombie in the mornings.

If you stand infront of me and dont move very quickly, I imagine I would do something seriously painfull to said person. I also have routines I drift into and tend to be a little agrivated when their broken.

Maximum Zersk
2010-03-24, 07:29 PM
When people give wrong facts with the air that they're correct. I HATE that! Especially if they're trying to help someone. If you're trying to help someone, get the facts right!

That's why I say 'apparently' whenever I say some info. Helps if it turns out wrong.

Also? Mispronouncing something in a different language. Like how some people will pronounce, say the ch in German. Fächer, they'll pronounce the ch as chile instead of Bach. Or pronouncing the umlaut wrong.

Starscream
2010-03-24, 07:33 PM
*When people refer to Frankenstein's Monster as "Frankenstein".

*Movies based on franchises I grew up loving, which then have the effrontery to suck.

*Friends who insist that I get a Facebook account. The implication is also that they wish I occasionally look at it. And update it. And look at their updates. There's no satisfying some people.

*Reality TV. No, I will not watch it with you. None of it is good. No, not even "this one show, it's different, I swear". And don't claim you are watching it "ironically". I'm refusing to watch it just as ironically.

Jokasti
2010-03-24, 07:34 PM
Kneecaps. Big ones.

CrimsonAngel
2010-03-24, 07:35 PM
Eraser shavings.

Inhuman Bot
2010-03-24, 07:35 PM
*When people refer to Frankenstein's Monster as "Frankenstein".

Yeah, that's annoying.

Also? Mispronouncing something in a different language. Like how some people will pronounce, say the ch in German. Fächer, they'll pronounce the ch as chile instead of Bach. Or pronouncing the umlaut wrong.

How do you pronounce an umlaut? Like, "oo" as in "ooze"?

Mauve Shirt
2010-03-24, 07:38 PM
People who try to correct me when I pronounce "mauve" correctly.

Thajocoth
2010-03-24, 07:45 PM
*Reality TV. No, I will not watch it with you. None of it is good. No, not even "this one show, it's different, I swear". And don't claim you are watching it "ironically". I'm refusing to watch it just as ironically.

I've gotten a good explanation for this recently.

Reality TV is often cheaper to make, and most people don't really actually care what pictures are on the screen, as long as they're seeing something. Many people just have the TV on in the background and catch 5-10 second clips here and there of it while they're doing other things, so the actual content is irrelevant.

I just don't watch TV anymore.

Winter_Wolf
2010-03-24, 07:46 PM
Umlauts are funny little things, they change the way a vowel is pronounced, but they don't actually have an "umlaut sound". Seeing as I can't be arsed to find the umlaut key combination on my keyboard: the 'a' without an umlaut is 'ah', while the 'a' withan umlaut is more like 'ay'. Roughly. I'm not German, but I vaguely remember that from my one year of studying the language. It's also used over a 'u' and sounds like something like like 'eww', I suppose.

As for things that drive me a little crazy:

People who don't notice that the red light has become a green light. I've failed to note it as well, so I can't get too mad about it, but it's still slightly irritating.

People who get offended if I don't smile back at them. Frankly, I have horrible eyesight and I often don't pay a lot of attention to my surroundings. If I fail to notice your smile and reciprocate, it's nothing personal, just didn't see it.

That feeling when I just can't get motivated to do my daily workout. It's not super strenuous, I feel loads better after doing it, but there's that little five minute window beforehand when I try to justify why I can skip today.

The scale gives me two radically differing body weights (say, five pounds), even if I weigh myself twice in a minute or two, same clothes, haven't eaten or drunk anything. An odd habit I know, but I've had a few untrustworthy scales in my time.

Maximum Zersk
2010-03-24, 07:48 PM
How do you pronounce an umlaut? Like, "oo" as in "ooze"?

Depends. A to Ä is Father to Hate, I believe. O to Ö is a bit harder. I think it's from Oh, to something like making an o-shape with your mouth, and saying ee. Not sure, I might have to ask my German teacher.

U to Ü. I have to remember correctly. I think it was Oo to similar to the french une.

Not sure completely, though.

Oh yeah, another little peeve. Watching a book I really liked get messed up by the movie adaption.

Mauve Shirt
2010-03-24, 07:55 PM
O to Ö is a bit harder. I think it's from Oh, to something like making an o-shape with your mouth, and saying ee.
This is so.

Oh yeah, another little peeve. Watching a book I really liked get messed up by the movie adaption.
I hate that too.

Silly Wizard
2010-03-24, 07:59 PM
-When anime fans say they are fans of Japanese culture, but don't know anything past what they see on anime.

-When I tell someone I listen to rap music, they assume I listen to Soulja Boy.

-The text in Facebook chat disappearing when you move to a different page.

Yarram
2010-03-24, 08:02 PM
-When anime fans say they are fans of Japanese culture, but don't know anything past what they see on anime.

In their defence, anime is actually part of the Japanese culture, so it's the same as saying, "I'm a fan of Australian Culture" when all you've ever heard is some of our music.

EDIT:
On that note, "True Blue Aussie" <insert anything here.>

Timberwolf
2010-03-24, 08:03 PM
People pointing with their little finger. Dear me that is so irritating.

something being asymmetrical when it shouldn't be - eg a picture hanging at an angle.

Maximum Zersk
2010-03-24, 08:05 PM

-When I tell someone I listen to rap music, they assume I listen to Soulja Boy.

-The text in Facebook chat disappearing when you move to a different page.

-Thankfully, we're not all like that. :smalltongue: Many of us either make no claim, or actually learn something about it. :smalltongue:

- I have heard that there are other rappers that ARE good.

-Don't use Facebook, so don't know much about that.

Silly Wizard
2010-03-24, 08:15 PM
-Thankfully, we're not all like that. :smalltongue: Many of us either make no claim, or actually learn something about it. :smalltongue:

- I have heard that there are other rappers that ARE good.

-Don't use Facebook, so don't know much about that.

Yeah, I know. My girlfriend is a big anime fan and cosplays and whatnot, but she doesn't act anything like that. I go with her to a lot of anime conventions, but none of her/our friends act like that.

CWater
2010-03-24, 08:19 PM
SNORING. I just can't stand it.:smallfurious: Actually, it annoys me so much, that if I ever hear it I have too push that person or at least yell at them to shut up. I try to bear it sometimes, but after say, 5 minutes I have to give in. That sound makes me crazy! And yes, I have a good hearing, so when I still lived at home, I used to disturb my poor parents well-earned sleep by suddenly screaming in the middle of the night that I could not sleep because they snored.:smallfrown: I had my own room. The door was usually closed. Didn't help.

Now I have my own apartment, so I don't get to terrorise anyone's sleep anymore:smalltongue:, which is good. I've often thought that should I ever move together with someone, we would have to have separate bedrooms just because of that. Preferably on different sides of the house:smallwink:

RS14
2010-03-24, 08:24 PM
-Advertisements
--Smiling people in advertisements.

-Websites (most of them).
--Websites which sacrifice usability for appearance
---Websites which expect me to unblock javascript to navigate them.
---Websites which use Flash.
--Social Networking sites.

-Irresponsible use/handling of guns.

-Use of personal electronic devices while driving.

-Confusion of wit and intelligence.

-Clothing with insufficient pockets.

-English
--People who insist that 'xor' is not a word.
--Lack of a (non-archaic) distinct second-person singular.
--Plurals
--Absence of gender neutral pronouns

-Music (whatever my fellow students are playing).

-Excessively negative people.

Kallisti
2010-03-24, 08:43 PM
People who correct other people with that air of smugness and are wrong, especially if the person they're "correcting" was right.

Poor spelling and grammar, especially with regards to malapropisms and incorrect syntax, punctuation, and capitalization.

Almost all modern music, especially the kind that just repeats the song title over and over ad nauseum, with occasional breaks for bad rap (I'm looking at you, Poker Face).

The "word" alot. It's either a lot, as in much (or a lot as in property, or a token used in drawing lots, or...), or it's allot, as in to give out or ration out.

Contractions being wrong. Its annoying to see sentences like this one with the wrong 'its', because English has it's rules and they should be followed, at least when they're the simple ones like these.[/self-demonstration]

Frankenstein was the creator, not the monster. On a similar but less-annoying (at least to me personally) note, the dork in the green is Link, not Zelda.

People who use "ironically" to describe something not very ironic. It's basically become shorthand for "in a way I thought was amusing."

People whose cell phones go off during classes/in movie theatres/in a darkroom:smallfurious:. Seriously, if the phone going off will inconvenience and annoy everyone around you, at least put in on vibrate.

People who link to TvTropes or Wikipedia, not because they're talking about a concept/using a term that may need defined for the good of the discussion, but because they think it gives their argument more weight. Congratulations! You can read a wiki! You're at least semiliterate! Ugh...

Maximum Zersk
2010-03-24, 09:01 PM
People who correct other people with that air of smugness and are wrong, especially if the person they're "correcting" was right.

Poor spelling and grammar, especially with regards to malapropisms and incorrect syntax, punctuation, and capitalization.

Almost all modern music, especially the kind that just repeats the song title over and over ad nauseum, with occasional breaks for bad rap (I'm looking at you, Poker Face).

The "word" alot. It's either a lot, as in much (or a lot as in property, or a token used in drawing lots, or...), or it's allot, as in to give out or ration out.

Contractions being wrong. Its annoying to see sentences like this one with the wrong 'its', because English has it's rules and they should be followed, at least when they're the simple ones like these.[/self-demonstration]

Frankenstein was the creator, not the monster. On a similar but less-annoying (at least to me personally) note, the dork in the green is Link, not Zelda.

People who use "ironically" to describe something not very ironic. It's basically become shorthand for "in a way I thought was amusing."

People whose cell phones go off during classes/in movie theatres/in a darkroom:smallfurious:. Seriously, if the phone going off will inconvenience and annoy everyone around you, at least put in on vibrate.

People who link to TvTropes or Wikipedia, not because they're talking about a concept/using a term that may need defined for the good of the discussion, but because they think it gives their argument more weight. Congratulations! You can read a wiki! You're at least semiliterate! Ugh...

I said that already. By the way the tomato is actually a mammal.

Ah, a fellow Grammar Nazi! Shall you aide me in the fight against the Illiteracy Communists?

Bra-bra-bra-brooklyn rage bra-bra-brooklyn rage (Nyeh nyeh nyeh nyeh)....

It annoys you alot doesn't it? See what I did thar?

Contraction's contraction. It's its favourite pie. You're your own man. Etc. etc.

For the last time, I AM NOT SHAZAM!!!

Irony: When the outcome is the opposite of what was expected.

It is annoying, no?

Funny, isn't it? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana)

Thajocoth
2010-03-24, 09:11 PM
--People who insist that 'xor' is not a verb."xor" is usually a conjunction. Thing1 xor thing2. I'd assume the people who don't think it can be used as a verb would also think that "and" and "or" can't be used as verbs.

I find all the anti-ain't stuff to be annoying. Ain't has a definition. That makes it a word. And you know what? So does I'd'nt've. (pronounced: Eyed-Int-Of) (I would not have.) I use that word and intend to try to get it's use out there. The purpose of language is to get someone else to know what you want to tell them. If the person on the other end can understand you, great.

Graymayre
2010-03-24, 09:16 PM
People that do not enjoy something or find it boring yet, when asked why, they have nothing better to say other than "hurr durr I don't know". :smallmad:

Nerocite
2010-03-24, 09:22 PM
Television. I don't like it, it's loud, and it keeps me up at night.

Thajocoth
2010-03-24, 09:24 PM
People that do not enjoy something or find it boring yet, when asked why, they have nothing better to say other than "hurr durr I don't know". :smallmad:

To be perfectly honest, most of the things I don't enjoy, I don't know why, and I don't really feel like thinking about them to figure it out. I'd rather go do something I enjoy instead. That said, I don't actively complain about such a thing unless I know why I didn't enjoy it in the first place (or am being dragged to go do them), nor do I usually assume I won't like something beforehand (unless it's culinary, then I always assume I won't like it beforehand, because that's true.)

Television. I don't like it, it's loud, and it keeps me up at night.

I agree. My mom & bro leave their TVs on to fall asleep. I need to sneak in their rooms & shut them off for me to get to sleep.

Eon
2010-03-24, 09:32 PM
People who "are always right"

People who use a certain medical condition starting with an "R" as an insult. Honestly, get a better insult.

People who use "your mom","your face", that's what she said" and "that's what (blank) said last night".

People who use pathetic comebacks. see above...

"dude you played that section wrong"
"no i didn't"
"yes you did"
i think I would know...

people who think that getting annoyed at some is the same as spassing out.

typos.

Leet speak in normal conversation.

Complaining about everything. Seriously, school food isn't THAT bad.

being left out.

*misses catch*
"fail"
you think I didn't notice? And when they couldn't do as good...

people treating you different due to age rather than maturity/intelligence. BOTH.

misquoting. This is one of the worst!

telling the same jokes over and over again. It wasn't that funny the first time... why do we need to hear it again?

not making your opinions on your own thoughts but just listening to what one person said.

people getting mad at someone because they disagree. annoyed is one thing, ignoring them is another.

that's just a few...

Maximum Zersk
2010-03-24, 09:39 PM

Complaining about everything. Seriously, school food isn't THAT bad.

people treating you different due to age rather than maturity/intelligence.
BOTH.

telling the same jokes over and over again. It wasn't that funny the first time... why do we need to hear it again?

That's it! I'm tired of these motherlovin' typos on this motherlovin' thread!
RRAAAGGHH!!!!
-spazzes out-

School food might not be that bad, but school can be!
And I hate the way you stare at me, and why don't you show some more emotion, and sit up strait, and eat all your food, and...

I hate that too. I also hate how apparently how people think that 'many teenagers have problems' means 'every teenager is an evil bastard that will eventually commit suicide. Also, they all do drugs. And they kick puppies.'

I go by the Rule of Three. A joke is used three times AT MOST. After that, it goes into annoying.

Eon
2010-03-24, 09:44 PM
That's it! I'm tired of these motherlovin' typos on this motherlovin' thread!
RRAAAGGHH!!!!
-spazzes out-

School food might not be that bad, but school can be!
And I hate the way you stare at me, and why don't you show some more emotion, and sit up strait, and eat all your food, and...

I hate that too. I also hate how apparently how people think that 'many teenagers have problems' means 'every teenager is an evil bastard that will eventually commit suicide. Also, they all do drugs. And they kick puppies.'

I go by the Rule of Three. A joke is used three times AT MOST. After that, it goes into annoying.

-amusing

-what?

- that's a topic that still stings...

- some jokes could go by the Rule of Two.

RS14
2010-03-24, 09:49 PM
"xor" is usually a conjunction. Thing1 xor thing2. I'd assume the people who don't think it can be used as a verb would also think that "and" and "or" can't be used as verbs.

Huh, you're completely right. I meant to say 'word'.

Player_Zero
2010-03-24, 10:08 PM
Nouns.

Damn nouns. Ruining the universe.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-03-24, 10:10 PM
People pointing with their little finger. Dear me that is so irritating.

something being asymmetrical when it shouldn't be - eg a picture hanging at an angle.

This is one of my major ones as well.

Nomrom
2010-03-24, 10:27 PM
Apparently I could never be friends with most of you guys, or I would bug the crap out of you.

It bugs me when people smoke at the bus stop.

Partof1
2010-03-24, 10:38 PM
-People who are intolerant of other peoples' cultures
-the Dutch
:smalltongue:

Now, in all seriousness:
-willful ignorance
-abusing volume (of noise or of people on a given side) in debates
-when a clock on the back of a toilet in my house falls partly behind the toilet.
-the sound the wood from a broken pencil makes on paper
-Being a magician unwillingly

Thajocoth
2010-03-24, 11:15 PM
-willful ignorance
-abusing volume (of noise or of people on a given side) in debates
-the sound the wood from a broken pencil makes on paper
-Being a magician unwillingly

I used to really really hate willful ignorance. Ironically, that was due to my own ignorance. Once I learned to understand it, I learned to accept it. I mean, I won't do it...

What I do is assume that anyone who's screaming is automatically wrong. I won't even hear what they said, and just tell them, "well, whatever you just said, it must be wrong or you'd have no reason to raise your voice." Granted, I don't actually debate. But I do generally hate when people scream their point for the same reason I hate when people lie. It puts me at an immense disadvantage, since I can't do it back. (I've never raised my voice and am not sure I can anymore, and I have, like, a -50 penalty to all bluff checks.)

Yeah, broken pencils are even worse than regular pencils (which I also cringe to.)

I don't understand what it means to be a magician unwillingly.

waterpenguin43
2010-03-24, 11:29 PM
-The term pwn.

-When people don't respect EarthBound.

-Movies (And Video Games) valuing Graphics but not plot.

-People thinking Graphics are really important in video games but not caring about the music in them!

-People that call me gay because I sing showtunes, have a high-pitched voice, and a feminine attitude.

*cough*PercyJacson*cough*

llamamushroom
2010-03-25, 12:23 AM
- People who use the "technically correct" meanings of words, instead of the commonly accepted one. Language is about conveying meaning, not being correct.

- People who spend half an hour to say something I could in 30 seconds. If that's because of a stutter or other speech impediment, I'll probably forgive you (but still be annoyed), but if it's because you fill your sentence with meaningless buzz-words and phrases that are completely irrelevant...

- Essay introductions which cover a page and a half, yet manage to say nothing about the topic thereof.

- People who roll their 'r's while thinking. I only know one person like this, and in (almost) all other respects he is a good friend. But that one, tiny flaw sometimes makes me want to strangle him.

Maximum Zersk
2010-03-25, 12:57 AM
*cough*PercyJacson*cough*

What did you think I was talking about? :smallamused:

-When people don't respect EarthBound.

people don't respect EarthBound.

People don't respect EarthBound.

If I find anyone who says that - anything like that - I will kill myself. And when my tainted spirit finds its destination, I will topple the master of that dark place. From my black throne, I will lash together a machine of bone and blood, and fueled by my hatred for the Earthbound-haters this fear engine will bore a hole between this world and that one.

When it begins, they will hear the sound of children screaming - as though from a great distance. A smoking orb of nothing will grow above their beds, and from it will emerge a thousand starving crows. As I slip through the widening maw in my new form, they will catch only a glimpse of my radiance before they are incinerated. Then, as tears of bubbling pitch stream down my face, my dark work will begin.

I will open one of my six mouths, and I will sing the song that ends the world. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/04/10/)

_Zoot_
2010-03-25, 05:47 AM
When your dad told you that the meeting will be done by about 6ish, maby 7. And come tenoclock your still waiting in his office.

No points for gessing where I am right now...:smallannoyed:

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-03-25, 07:20 AM
For those wondering about the German vowel sounds:

ä is a sound between an "e" sound and the word "air"
ö is a sound resembling an "eeurgh" or "er" sound in English (as in revulsion and pausing to think, respectively)
ü varies a bit more in pronunciation; normally it's like an ordinary u sound in German, but with more emphasis, and sometimes it's more like the English word "you", but es kommt darauf an. :smalltongue:

rakkoon
2010-03-25, 07:37 AM

I have a pronunciation in my head, which one would you approve and which one wouldn't you?

Klose_the_Sith
2010-03-25, 08:10 AM
People who say that all music of genre -x- sounds the same (Not just metal either, though that always seems to be the target - there will always be variation to an extent in whatever)

People who expect me to compromise my world view just to fall in line with them

People who will start an argument by slinging insults but break out into tears if I return fire

People who tell me to just be grateful for what I've got, instead of working to improve my station in life - surely we should all work as best we can with what we have.

(Most important one in the list inbound)

People who honk their horns/scream out the window of their car at me + my girlfriend while we're hugging to say goodbye.

We hug because it feels good and makes us happy, not cause we're about to have sex on the pavement and your noble **** move is the only thing capable of dissuading us from such a reckless course of action.

Seriously people, don't do that ****. It might seem funny to you while you're in the car, but no-ones going to be impressed. Just irritated by your screechy noises, terrible car and lame driving skills often owing to the fact that you've taken all focus off the road for this delightful hobby of yours.

Actually, drivers who pass judgement on pedestrians in general, but that's a pretty big thing. Metal bawkses don't make you into better people, you damn drivers.

If I find anyone who says that - anything like that - I will kill myself. And when my tainted spirit finds its destination, I will topple the master of that dark place. From my black throne, I will lash together a machine of bone and blood, and fueled by my hatred for the Earthbound-haters this fear engine will bore a hole between this world and that one.

When it begins, they will hear the sound of children screaming - as though from a great distance. A smoking orb of nothing will grow above their beds, and from it will emerge a thousand starving crows. As I slip through the widening maw in my new form, they will catch only a glimpse of my radiance before they are incinerated. Then, as tears of bubbling pitch stream down my face, my dark work will begin.

I will open one of my six mouths, and I will sing the song that ends the world. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/04/10/)

So ... ummm ...

I don't really have any interest in the game. It isn't something I'd ever want to play, like at all.

I can respect your appreciation of it though. Is that proxy good enough? Or have I just doomed us all.

Coplantor
2010-03-25, 08:11 AM
People using a quote, a phrase or idiom in a way it was not meant to be used because they believe it means something else, specially when they do it to sound "distinguished".

Typos? Meh, I make a lot, english is not my first language and I had crappy teachers, I know it's not an excuse, I'm trying to get better, but still...

People who believe that because a movie is an animated one it cannot be taken seriously/ it's for kids/ it's not oscar material. The same goes regarding videogames, tv series , etc... It bothers me that people believe that Book > Theater > Dramatic movie > Comedy > Sci Fi/super hero/fantasy movie > Animated movie > videogame

Any of the above can be good plot wise.

Frankenstein was the creator, not the monster. On a similar but less-annoying (at least to me personally) note, the dork in the green is Link, not Zelda...

And the big blue guys are Na'vi, not avatars. Almost everyone I know call them avatars, what surprises me the most is that they dont know what avatar means.

Riffington
2010-03-25, 08:24 AM
When people are speaking one language, then pronounce the name of a location in the accent of the people there rather than the language they are speaking.

(i.e. you are talking about Paris or Santiago or whatever in your native accent, and all of a sudden you pronounce that city like you're a Frenchman or a Chilean). Bonus points if you do that only when the location is non-European.

Zen Monkey
2010-03-25, 08:35 AM
-People who can't hold still, or have some other apparent inability to not twitch. This is even worse if my seat is connected to theirs or if it makes a noise. How can you not realize that your knee has been bouncing and that you keep clicking your pen?

-The tendency for modern culture to praise ignorance and reward vice.

-People who loudly talk on their invisible tiny ear-mounted cell phones, and then get annoyed at me if I if I say 'excuse me?' because I thought maybe their weird question was aimed at me since nobody else is present.

Americans really do look crazy these days, wandering the grocery store having loud conversations, seemingly with nobody, and often with several of these people in the same small space. Fun fact: some health professionals give fake/dead earpieces to schizophrenic patients, so that people don't get worried if that person starts an argument with nobody in a public place.

Coplantor
2010-03-25, 08:37 AM
-People who can't hold still, or have some other apparent inability to not twitch. This is even worse if my seat is connected to theirs or if it makes a noise. How can you not realize that your knee has been bouncing and that you keep clicking your pen?

oh, you would hate me... most of the day. I do not click the pen though, I only do it when I want to bother someone on purpose

Mauve Shirt
2010-03-25, 09:00 AM
When people are speaking one language, then pronounce the name of a location in the accent of the people there rather than the language they are speaking.

My sister and mother have a tendency to do that. It drives me somewhat nuts. Especially if they can't do the accent correctly.

@V: Ah yes, that's the site I usually link folks to when they ask, I should've put it in the original post.
Also, this http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Gl5rSwc6Y3gUVM:http://www.colourlovers.com/wallPaper/800x600/c/A58085/COLOURlovers.com-mauve_taupe.png is not mauve. My shirt is indeed the color mauve. That is mauve-taupe.
That's actually a point, if people know to pronounce "taupe" with an "oh" sound, why can't they pronounce the similarly-spelled "mauve" correctly?

rakkoon
2010-03-25, 09:08 AM

I have a pronunciation in my head, which one would you approve and which one wouldn't you?

Ok, I was wrong apparently, silly language, using french words and then butchering them ....

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/mauve.html

Asta Kask
2010-03-25, 09:42 AM
People who don't format their contributions to the forum correctly. instead relying on the ol' "we don't need no stinking capitalization, punctuation, or speling" what bothers me is that a) it makes it difficult to read and b) it's just lazy if they don't care enough to make their ramblings legible why should i read them

Coplantor
2010-03-25, 09:45 AM
People who don't format their contributions to the forum correctly. instead relying on the ol' "we don't need no stinking capitalization, punctuation, or speling" what bothers me is that a) it makes it difficult to read and b) it's just lazy if they don't care enough to make their ramblings legible why should i read them

I would complain about this, but I fall victim of it quite frequently. My last message actually starts without a capital letter, I'm ashamed of it.

By the way, this actually bothers me much more when it happens in chat conversations, dont know why.

potatocubed
2010-03-25, 09:56 AM
Spelling 'lose' with two 'o's.

Pronouncing 'fillet' as if it was French ('fil-ay'). It isn't. The 't' is there to be spoken. McDonalds, I'm looking at you.

About a million other things. I have a lot of pet peeves.

Thajocoth
2010-03-25, 10:02 AM

It's not a twitch so much as... Just repetitive involuntary action. Just like a heartbeat is or breathing. The brain controls those, without any conscious thought (though conscious thought may be applied to both). Just as you can take temporary manual control of breathing, or have some manual effect on your heartbeat (when hooked up to a device which allows you to use other senses to detect your own heartbeat), the reverse can happen. Something that you do often (like move your foot) could be easily taken over by the subconscious if you're not paying attention to it. I theorize that this happens as a result of "louder" signals in the nervous system. That is, of increased voltage, not of increased clarity, if that makes sense.

Also, the term is fidget. I fidget a lot. My theory would tie my fidgeting to most of my other oddities.

Fiat Lux
2010-03-25, 12:09 PM
Pronouncing 'fillet' as if it was French ('fil-ay'). It isn't. The 't' is there to be spoken. McDonalds, I'm looking at you.

A hasty Google search shows that this is (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fillet_(cut)) not (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fillet) necessarily so (http://www.merriam-webster.com/netdict/fillet) -- that is, if one is given to trusting things one finds on the internet. In nearly every sense other than the ones referring to the cut of meat and the action of slicing it, however, it would seem you are quite correct.

EDIT: Although I just noticed that you're from Oxford, which may account for the difference. In American English, at least, this is the case.

--Network cancellation of brilliant, well-written television shows. Arrested Development, Firefly, Deadwood, Veronica Mars, Life...the list goes on and on and on.

RS14
2010-03-25, 12:17 PM

Fillet, n.1
[a. Fr. filet = Pr. filet, Sp. filete, It. filetto, a Com. Romanic diminutive of L. f{imac}lum thread.]

The OED also notes that in the context of food, it is sometimes spelled as in french.

drakir_nosslin
2010-03-25, 12:18 PM
I secretly want to punch people who walk slowly in the back. Seriously, walking is a method to get somewhere, so please, either move out of the way or increase velocity.

Also, asymmetry. The universe abhors asymmetry, I'm sure about it, though I haven't proven it yet.

Coplantor
2010-03-25, 12:19 PM
I secretly want to punch people who walk slowly in the back. Seriously, walking is a method to get somewhere, so please, either move out of the way or increase velocity.

Also, asymmetry. The universe abhors asymmetry, I'm sure about it, though I haven't proven it yet.

I have no distaste for asymmetry and I actually like it every now and then.
And I share the punching feeling

Syka
2010-03-25, 12:52 PM
-Advertisements
--Smiling people in advertisements.

-Websites (most of them).
--Websites which sacrifice usability for appearance
---Websites which expect me to unblock javascript to navigate them.
---Websites which use Flash.
--Social Networking sites.

-Irresponsible use/handling of guns.

-Use of personal electronic devices while driving.

-Confusion of wit and intelligence.

-Clothing with insufficient pockets.

-English
--Plurals

-Music (whatever my fellow students are playing).

-Excessively negative people.

I lol'ed. :smallwink:

Also, as a fidgeter who is dating a non-fidgeter, you have my sincerest apologies. I don't even notice I'm moving usually, but usually something IS moving (foot, finger, sometimes). When I go to sleep I have to toss and turn before I'll be comfortable. And sometimes...I just twitch. It's not conscious, it just happens. It doesn't help that my had isn't steady even in the best of circumstances; it's always a little shaky.

No idea why, but it's how it goes.

Griever
2010-03-25, 01:21 PM
-English
--Plurals

How often do you have conversations centering around Boolean Algebra?

mucat
2010-03-25, 01:26 PM
What I do is assume that anyone who's screaming is automatically wrong.
Now that we know that, we can totally mess with your mind.

(Screaming at the top of his lungs)
Plants can make glucose from sunlight and water!
The Ming Dynasty lasted almost 300 years!
The integral of secant-squared-x is tangent x! Plus a friggin' constant!

Starbuck_II
2010-03-25, 01:35 PM

Apparently alot.
I dislike because who swear without a reason. I mean, if it is a excited moment or you are scared: fine.
But to drop them in everyday language, I dislike that.
I perfer them not to be mundane words.

Which means I dislike most rap because they do use swears in mundane ways.

I dislike that Republicans and Democracts in congress seem to purposely do a "us vs them" mentality. Then pretend they didn't.

I dislike that most birds die from heart attacks during mating. It just grates me.

RS14
2010-03-25, 01:54 PM

Often enough.

In any case, it's a perfectly valid binary operation and should be permitted in casual conversation.

BisectedBrioche
2010-03-25, 02:05 PM
People who yawn excessively loud. People who stand side by side while on the pavement so you have to walk on the road to get around them (seriously, it should be legal to kill people who think they're too good for single file).

Mystic Muse
2010-03-25, 02:14 PM
NOBODY CLOSES THAT DANG DOOR UNLESS I TELL THEM TOO!!!!!111!!!!!!!:smallfurious:

(as you can probably tell, I feel rather strongly about that.)

hmm. I dislike when my cousins halve words. (when they're talking about magic the gathering they'll say "mag" or goblins turns into "gobs" and Saproling turns into "saps" ETC.)

can't think of much other than that.

AmberVael
2010-03-25, 02:22 PM
People whose avatars are in the wrong sized slot. It kills quality and it is far too common. For example, in this thread alone, these people have their slots wrong:

Maximum Zersk
Timberwolf
Graymayre
Sir Prize
Bandil
llamamushroom
rakkoon
Asta Kask
drakir_nosslin
Syka
Starbuck_II
Kyuubi

Even if you get it off by like, one pixel, I can see it, and it drives me insane.
I mean, okay, if your avatar is too large and can't fit in a 120 x 120 space, I'm somewhat more understanding, but even so, it makes me twitch.

T-O-E
2010-03-25, 02:24 PM
People who stand side by side while on the pavement so you have to walk on the road to get around them (seriously, it should be legal to kill people who think they're too good for single file).

They're always the ones who walk ridiculously slow, too.

And:
-Outdated internet memes
-Comic sans
-Radical asymmetry
-Theme breaking
-Uncleanliness
-Inconsistency
-People that move stuff
-Typos and errors in printed/commercial works
-Things That Aren't Where They Should Be (aesthetically)

Atelm
2010-03-25, 02:29 PM
I used to have a load of little things that just plain ticked me off, thankfully time and therapy got rid of most of them before the age of 10.

Some that remain: (some of these have been mentioned in this thread in one form or another)

- Turning on the TV at night, then near instantly falling asleep while watching; this bothers me only when I'm trying to sleep, having to eventually go and turn off the TV without waking the person sleeping up. Because, that would lead to them turning it back on right away, most of the time anyway.

- Smoking so that other people will be forced to inhale the smoke; this is fairly rare and situational, there's rarely no room to move so that one doesn't inhale smoke, but still annoying.

- People complaining when I walk our dog in the fields; it's a farming field, people, nothing that comes out of him is any different from stuff that's already all over the place there. Besides I don't see the people who actually own the field complaining, so back off. :smallsigh:

Pyrian
2010-03-25, 02:34 PM
[Xor is] a perfectly valid binary operation and should be permitted in casual conversation.I, and many others, use "or" for "XOR" and "and/or" for "OR". Technically, "or" can be either, but its use as "OR" (as opposed to "XOR") seems to be vanishing as the use of "and/or" spreads.

absolmorph
2010-03-25, 02:36 PM
Spelling 'lose' with two 'o's.
That's a word. It's called "loose". As in "my pants are too loose." Or... Oh, wait. Can't use that example, inappropriate.

Thajocoth
2010-03-25, 02:39 PM
That's a word. It's called "loose". As in "my pants are too loose." Or... Oh, wait. Can't use that example, inappropriate.

I think he's referring to when people use the word "loose" instead of the word "lose". Which, unfortunately, some people do...

Stubbed Tongue
2010-03-25, 02:41 PM
Nearly every product except food being made in China.

People getting Asian and Oriental confused.

Using the term 'native American' when they really mean 'American Indian' or 'indigenous American'.

Maximum Zersk
2010-03-25, 02:43 PM
People who say that all music of genre -x- sounds the same (Not just metal either, though that always seems to be the target - there will always be variation to an extent in whatever)

I really, really, hate that. In fact sometimes it within a band's discography. No, not all of Linkin Park's music is like Crawling, thankyouverymuch. No, metal isn't all Norweigan paganism with mispläced diäcritics økäy?

So ... ummm ...

I don't really have any interest in the game. It isn't something I'd ever want to play, like at all.

I can respect your appreciation of it though. Is that proxy good enough? Or have I just doomed us all.

Nah, you're fine. I mean people who hate it, since it's a really well done game. Same with it's sequel, Mother 3.

(i.e. you are talking about Paris or Santiago or whatever in your native accent, and all of a sudden you pronounce that city like you're a Frenchman or a Chilean). Bonus points if you do that only when the location is non-European.

Heh, I do that sometimes, but with any language. I'm the opposite, actually. If you pronounce the name of a place wrong, I shall hunt you down.

Oh yeah, getting into a conversation with people over how to pronounce the letter 'x'. I can pronounce it 'zh', thankyouverymuch.

Thajocoth
2010-03-25, 02:44 PM
Using the term 'native American' when they really mean 'American Indian' or 'indigenous American'.

Native American is the politically correct term. American Indian is a misnomer. Indigenous American is okay, but more syllables, longer to write, easier to misspell and doesn't exactly roll off the tongue...

absolmorph
2010-03-25, 02:44 PM
I think he's referring to when people use the word "loose" instead of the word "lose". Which, unfortunately, some people do...
One of my friends did that.
She sent a text to me saying that someone made her "loose" [something that I'm saving you from]. I chose to ignore everything after "loose". She hasn't lived it down yet, but I think she's avoiding making that mistake again :smallamused:

Asta Kask
2010-03-25, 02:46 PM
People who don't understand that homeopathy doesn't work.

There's nothing in it! It's water! OK?

Stubbed Tongue
2010-03-25, 02:49 PM
Native American is the politically correct term.
I was born in America, am I Native American?

T-O-E
2010-03-25, 02:50 PM

For some reason, that annoys me much more than off/of or too/to misuse.

Maximum Zersk
2010-03-25, 02:52 PM
People who don't understand that homeopathy doesn't work.

There's nothing in it! It's water! OK?

AHA! So believing that it works does help! :smallbiggrin:

Thajocoth
2010-03-25, 02:53 PM

That's not enough info to know. I'm 1/16th Native American because my father was 1/8th Native American. Really, it'd be like me saying "I wasn't born in Ireland, so despite having ancestors from there, I'm not 1/2 Irish." It's ethnicity, not nationality.

Stubbed Tongue
2010-03-25, 02:58 PM
That's not enough info to know. I'm 1/16th Native American because my father was 1/8th Native American. Really, it'd be like me saying "I wasn't born in Ireland, so despite having ancestors from there, I'm not 1/2 Irish."
According to Webster dictionary I am Native American yet I assure you no one really means 'Native American' when they look at me. 'Native' isn't defined enough for my liking, I guess.

Maximum Zersk
2010-03-25, 03:06 PM
People whose avatars are in the wrong sized slot. It kills quality and it is far too common. For example, in this thread alone, these people have their slots wrong:

Maximum Zersk
Timberwolf
Graymayre
Sir Prize
Bandil
llamamushroom
rakkoon
Asta Kask
drakir_nosslin
Syka
Starbuck_II
Kyuubi

Even if you get it off by like, one pixel, I can see it, and it drives me insane.
I mean, okay, if your avatar is too large and can't fit in a 120 x 120 space, I'm somewhat more understanding, but even so, it makes me twitch.

But, I thought I chacked to make sure it was perfect....

...I'll see if I can fix it.

The Orange Zergling
2010-03-25, 03:12 PM
Not capitalizing I's when you should. Even in a real-time environment like an instant messenger or a video game chat or something, which are places where I'm much more lax about capitalization and such.

The word "meh". I hate that word so much. I have known so many people who just go "meh" when presented with a choice or situation without actually helping with anything. If you express your apathy some other way, like "I don't particularly care, it's your call," it's more or less fine, but the word "meh" is just...

When people use "I'm lazy" as an excuse. YES, YOU ARE LAZY, THAT'S THE PROBLEM!

Carbonated water. It's not that I don't like carbonated beverages - far from it -, but it just makes the water taste and feel icky.

When fast-food employees say "Have a nice day," I know it makes them look nice and polite and all of that, but the knowledge that they are required to say this to every customer takes away every tiny shred of that.

Perfectly straight lines at right-angles in vector art programs. This is why whenever I make an OotS-style avatar, the body is always at the tiniest-of-tiny angles so that it's just slightly askew and it breaks the right-angle-ness without appearing like it's leaning one way or another.

When people get the capitalization in "iPod" or "Xbox" wrong or when they add unnecessary dashes to them.

Using the same emote over and over and over again, especially if it's not used correctly. I once had a conversation with a friend of mine who used "XD" at the end of his messages seven times in a row without me typing anything in between them.

Excessive or unrealistic optimism.

Excessive or unrealistic pessimism.

Using smileys directly after a word without a space in between them. For example:
Hi. :smallsmile: is fine, whereas:
Hi.:smallsmile: irks me.
The exception to this is using smileys within parenthesis, which I don't mind.

Not directed at anyone in particular, just listed what came to mind as I typed. It's probably not healthy for me to have so many pet peeves... :smalleek:

Cobalt
2010-03-25, 03:30 PM
People who take something witty that I say and change one word to try and pass it off as something they came up with on their own. Immediately after I say it. (That is no joke. This has happened multiple times.)

People who misuse slang terms and then get angry when I try to correct them. I'd say which terms they were, but I'm fairly certain I'm not allowed to. (It means 'coward,' you idiot! Get it right!)

People who insist that they are experts on something but freeze whenever they are asked about it. (Well, freeze until they can come up with a way to change the conversation topic.)

People who don't realize when I'm insulting them and try to respond to what I said seriously. (What's wrong? No smart comeback? Wait... Are you trying to keep up the conversation...? No!!)

And in case you were wondering, these all refer to a person I go to school with. I end up having to spend large amounts of time with them, so I'm very glad that the year is almost over.

Eon
2010-03-25, 03:33 PM

Maximum Zersk
Timberwolf
Graymayre
Sir Prize
Bandil
llamamushroom
rakkoon
Asta Kask
drakir_nosslin
Syka
Starbuck_II
Kyuubi

my vile scheme is ruined! curse you!

Wait... What thread is this? oh right...

My vile scheme is ruined! Curse you!

Also, I didn't think it was, I'll go check that...

Edit reason, Wrong punctuation...

Klose_the_Sith
2010-03-25, 03:33 PM
People who yawn excessively loud. People who stand side by side while on the pavement so you have to walk on the road to get around them (seriously, it should be legal to kill people who think they're too good for single file).

:smalleek:

You sir, terrify me.

GolemsVoice
2010-03-25, 04:22 PM
When i want to sleep and other people continue talking. It doesn't matter if they are justified in doing so (for example, because I went to sleep early, or when there's a party going on), but it annoys me to no end. And when people start keeping me awake on purpose, I've enraged quite a few times.

BisectedBrioche
2010-03-25, 04:23 PM
:smalleek:

You sir, terrify me.

Do you yawn loudly or insist on walking side by side with fellow pedestrians?

Starscream
2010-03-25, 04:36 PM
You sir, terrify me.

What will you do to him if he does both?

BisectedBrioche
2010-03-25, 04:43 PM
What will you do to him if he does both?

Start a worldwide propoganda campaign against loud yawners and street shufflers, making him the poster child for it.

He shall be forced to destroy his own kind. Bwahahahahahahahahaah!

Starbuck_II
2010-03-25, 04:47 PM
That's not enough info to know. I'm 1/16th Native American because my father was 1/8th Native American. Really, it'd be like me saying "I wasn't born in Ireland, so despite having ancestors from there, I'm not 1/2 Irish." It's ethnicity, not nationality.

I'm a 1/8th that is good enough for me. My Mom was a 1/4th, her dad a 1/2, and my greatgrandma (his mom) a full.

I'd say 1/16th is good enough to count.

AmberVael
2010-03-25, 04:56 PM
Oh, yeah, for everyone checking their avatar after my complaint, just right click on your avatar and look at 'properties.' You'll see where it talks about it being re-sized, by how much and in what dimensions.

Ninja Chocobo
2010-03-25, 05:03 PM
People who use "decimate" to mean "annihilate".

People who call Gorgons "Medusas".

Smoking. Actually, that's not a little thing, that's a gigantic thing. Smokers are the worst people in the world.

Erothayce
2010-03-25, 05:19 PM
People who chew with their mouths open. It sounds disgusting and I don't want to see what you are eating. I've raged on friends at various times about it.

People touching me. Like while sitting on a couch. Please scoot over a mere 2 inches, not so hard is it?

Stoners who can't function. I know people who can function perfectly afterwards and don't act like an idiot.

That's all I can think of for now.

Copacetic
2010-03-25, 05:25 PM

No, but neither are you a person who is both "American" and "Indian".

People who "are always right"

People who use a certain medical condition starting with an "R" as an insult. Honestly, get a better insult.

People who use "your mom","your face", that's what she said" and "that's what (blank) said last night".

People who use pathetic comebacks. see above...

"dude you played that section wrong"
"no i didn't"
"yes you did"
i think I would know...

typos.

Leet speak in normal conversation.

Complaining about everything.

Ahem.

druid91
2010-03-25, 05:27 PM
Math language. Or new math language it bugs me that they can't say add 2+2+3 you have to say Simplify the equation. It's like they are trying to drive everyone away.

Eon
2010-03-25, 05:47 PM
No, but neither are you a person who is both "American" and "Indian".

Ahem.

:smallfrown:
i know a few people that are much, much worse...

Maximum Zersk
2010-03-25, 06:25 PM
Smoking. Actually, that's not a little thing, that's a gigantic thing. Smokers are the worst people in the world.

That's kinda... broad, don't'cha think?

Ninja Chocobo
2010-03-25, 06:44 PM
That's kinda... broad, don't'cha think?

Nope. My mother smokes, and I love her dearly, but she is the worst person in the world.

Copacetic
:smallfrown:
i know a few people that are much, much worse...

Undoubtedly. But it's a bit silly to complain excessively about people who complain excessively, wouldn't you agree?

Innis Cabal

Well...yes. If your definition of Native American is a person who is Native from either South or North America. Then you are, in fact Native American.

zeratul
2010-03-25, 06:52 PM

I actually do both of those things. They aren't so much loud yawns as they are roars though.......it's just how my yawns come out for some reason.

Things that drive me crazy?

People who still complain about smokers despite the fact that they can basically only smoke outside or on the property of people who let them. Both of these are places in which the person who is adverse to smoke could simply walk away.

Scene kids

People who confuse screamo with metal

people who think using big words makes them look smarter, even if they don't know what the words mean.

Grindcore :smallannoyed:

Crunkcore :smallfurious:

McDonalds' constantly broken shake machines

T-O-E
2010-03-25, 06:58 PM

This right here. It's in the name, people!

Maximum Zersk
2010-03-25, 07:00 PM
Nope. My mother smokes, and I love her dearly, but she is the worst person in the world.

Yeah, but that's basing every smoker off of a few people. I know some smokers that are actually quite nice people.

Zocelot
2010-03-25, 07:04 PM
I hate it when I walk up behind someone, and then follow a few feet behind. I hate it even more when I walk ahead of them, then they're put in the same situation so they walk ahead of me.

waterpenguin43
2010-03-25, 07:27 PM

Smoking IS the worst thing in the world, but not the people who do it.

I hate pollution with a passion. :smallfurious:

AmberVael
2010-03-25, 07:31 PM
You know, I could take the pollution.
I could take the fact that they're destroying their lungs.
I could take the fact that they're damaging my lungs.

I could, except that smoke smells horrible. I mean seriously, aauuugghh.
That's the part that really gets to me. If you're going to smoke, at least smoke a pipe, okay? Pipes don't make me want to claw off my nose, even if they're still not great.

Ninja Chocobo
2010-03-25, 07:42 PM
Yeah, but that's basing every smoker off of a few people. I know some smokers that are actually quite nice people.

You misunderstand me. My mother's like the nicest kindest person I know. She also happens to be the worst person in the world.

Thajocoth
2010-03-25, 08:19 PM
Most smokers I know at least make an effort to stay downwind of me. I do think there should be a few more restrictions though... Like have non-smoking sidewalks and stuff.

Dvandemon
2010-03-25, 08:33 PM
When people act like previous experiences=facts about how I act/majority=fact

When people I don't know attempt to joke around with me (silly mocking) and get mad when I take them seriously

When my brother tell me obvious BS and tries to shout during arguments (the Chewbacca defense is the dumbest thing ever) acting like i'm too stupid to call him on it

I feel i'm going to be around here a lot, I'll add more when I think of something else.

Dogmantra
2010-03-25, 09:09 PM
Bad design
- The fact that black on white is the industry standard in websites/computer documents and it's like staring into a lightbulb
- Underlining in typed documents. It looks messy and I dislike it
- Excessive formatting
- Powerpoint presentations filled with text
-- Powerpoint presentations filled with text on a clashing image background

Eon
2010-03-25, 09:13 PM
Undoubtedly. But it's a bit silly to complain excessively about people who complain excessively, wouldn't you agree?

I would hardly consider a sentence excessive. But in fact, I meant when people complaining about, say, their homework not being done and they go and just complain over and over and say how "they were busy" when they had plenty of time to do it. Of course, this is commonly followed by blaming the teacher while everyone nearby rolls their eyes.

I hope... I didn't miss what you meant. It's late and I just got home from swim practice... and I am beginning to dislike lactic acid, no matter how important it is... :smallsmile:

Griever
2010-03-25, 10:59 PM
Math language. Or new math language it bugs me that they can't say add 2+2+3 you have to say Simplify the equation. It's like they are trying to drive everyone away.

If you can think up a better way to ask people to get an equation to its simplest form, go for it.

Otherwise... yeah, that's as simple as it is gonna get, without writing out step-by-step instructions on how to rearrange an equation which ruins the skills trying to be reinforced.

ThreadKiller
2010-03-26, 12:00 AM
People who chew with their mouths open. It sounds disgusting and I don't want to see what you are eating. I've raged on friends at various times about it.

I agree. It's also annoying when a person is chewing gum like a cow. It makes me wish their head would implode :smallfurious:

_Zoot_
2010-03-26, 12:24 AM

THIS.

Oh yeah, that irritates me.

Innis Cabal
2010-03-26, 12:49 AM

Even though they're synonyms? :smallconfused:

Annihilate
–verb
1.to reduce to utter ruin or nonexistence; destroy utterly
2.to destroy the collective existence or main body of
3.to annul; make void:
4.to cancel the effect of; nullify.
5.to defeat completely; vanquish:

Decimate
-verb
1.to destroy a great number or proportion of:
2.to select by lot and kill every tenth person of.
3.Obsolete. to take a tenth of or from.

Temotei
2010-03-26, 12:54 AM
Even though their synonyms?

That. Nah, not really. I'm not bothered by much.

I await almost inevitable six-gunning. :smallsigh:

Innis Cabal
2010-03-26, 01:02 AM
That. Nah, not really. I'm not bothered by much.

I await almost inevitable six-gunning. :smallsigh:

It was a trap. On to my pet peeve. Grammer nazi's. :smallamused:

just as planned

The Orange Zergling
2010-03-26, 01:09 AM
Even though they're synonyms? :smallconfused:

Annihilate
–verb
1.to reduce to utter ruin or nonexistence; destroy utterly
2.to destroy the collective existence or main body of
3.to annul; make void:
4.to cancel the effect of; nullify.
5.to defeat completely; vanquish:

Decimate
-verb
1.to destroy a great number or proportion of:
2.to select by lot and kill every tenth person of.
3.Obsolete. to take a tenth of or from.

Well, only sort of - to annihilate is to completely destroy whereas to decimate is to destroy one-tenth of something. By decimating something you are not completely wiping it out; only thinning the herd, as it were.

Innis Cabal
2010-03-26, 01:15 AM
There is still the second defintion "the main body of". And they're synonyms. They don't -have- to have identical meanings. They're similar enough that being irritated by swapping usage is...rather odd.

Then again, this wouldn't be the first time I've seen someone get annoyed at the usage of synonyms. I was actually told once that not only do linquists hate them, but synonyms are a bane on all spoken languges. Who'd have thunk it?

TFT
2010-03-26, 01:18 AM
People who can't tell when I(or someone else) is joking or being serious. Sometimes I'm OK with it, but most times it's annoying.

Another thing is when people avoid talking to me about something, or lie to me for a long time about something. Don't beat around the bush, it only makes it worse :smallmad:

Fakeness drives me crazy. I know its not little but... Yea

When someone believes their always right. Considering I do it too... probably not a good pet peeve.

When someone complains about someone being annoying. DON'T YOU REALIZE YOU'RE BEING TWICE AS ANNOYING!?

I could probably list a lot more, but I'll stop there. Soon there will be nothing I can like :smalltongue:.

The Orange Zergling
2010-03-26, 01:19 AM
There is still the second defintion "the main body of". And they're synonyms. They don't -have- to have identical meanings. They're similar enough that being irritated by swapping usage is...rather odd.

I think it's like referring to a normal car as a truck; they are similar and they fulfill the same purpose in a similar fashion but ultimately they are different enough that they are two separate entities, if only just.

Innis Cabal
2010-03-26, 01:27 AM
Cars and Trucks -are- seperate, if only just. But their still automobile's. Trucks and Car's are visably different in their general make up and application. A truck is a car, in so far that it provides transportation. But a car is not a truck, due to its design. Same as a beetle is an insect, but not all insects are beetles.

Decimation and Annihilation are not so. Both being massive destruction (Another word that can be used as a synonym for the other two). Where as a car and truck differ in application. Decimation and Annihilation do not. Their both words used to catagorize a level of extreme, near complete devestation (yet another synonym-these things are just popping up like crazy, we should go and complie them in a book or something...). Once things have been F.U.B.A.R'd to a certain point, it dosn't really -matter- the distinction between the two. Unlike a car, which will never (in theory) be able to preform the utilities a truck is capable of.

EndlessWrath
2010-03-26, 01:28 AM
Hypocrisy and Double Standards..unfortunately I can be slightly hypocritical at times...and by slightly I mean blatantly on rare occasion. This tends to bite me on the posterior later on.

-Wrath

The Orange Zergling
2010-03-26, 01:39 AM
Cars and Trucks -are- seperate, if only just. But their still automobile's. Trucks and Car's are visably different in their general make up and application. A truck is a car. But a car is not a truck. Same as a beetle is an insect, but not all insects are beetles.

Decimation and Annihilation are not so. Both being massive destruction (Another word that can be used as a synonym for the other two). Where as a car and truck differ in application. Decimation and Annihilation do not. Their both words used to catagorize a level of extreme, near complete devestation (yet another synonym-these things are just popping up like crazy, we should go and complie them in a book or something...). Once things have been F.U.B.A.R'd to a certain point, it dosn't really -matter- the distinction between the two. Unlike a car, which will never (in theory) be able to preform the utilities a truck is capable of.

Well, two of the three definitions you yourself posted above refer to destruction or removal of one-tenth of the whole, and the remaining one is rather vague; if you have one million of something and you take away one-tenth of it, you have 90% of the whole but you still lost 100,000, which is usually considered a 'great number'. 100% and 10% are entirely different numbers that could reap entirely different consequences depending on the scenario you're talking about.

Might be a good idea to stop this debate before we get too off-course from the thread, though. :smallwink:

absolmorph
2010-03-26, 01:45 AM
If you can think up a better way to ask people to get an equation to its simplest form, go for it.

Otherwise... yeah, that's as simple as it is gonna get, without writing out step-by-step instructions on how to rearrange an equation which ruins the skills trying to be reinforced.
"Solve 2+2+3" might work. However, it's meant to be extremely clear on just what the task is. It's pretty much impossible to pull stuff of like the "Find x" "Here it is" thing that's on a demotivational poster I'm currently too lazy to find.

Just out of curiosity, is it bad that I've solved that just for the sake of solving it?

Some things that irritate me:
Grammar nazis that screw up their grammar nazi-ing. (One of my friends did this earlier today, and I corrected his entire Facebook status. He was complaining about people saying "spelt" instead of "spelled". His girlfriend linked to a page about irregular verbs. I pointed out every mistake I noticed in a quick look-over of his status.)
People who get mad over someone correcting major lingual mistakes. (Yes, I'm going to point out that you used the wrong word. Or spelled something incorrectly so it was a different word. Or left out any and all punctuation. IT'S DIFFICULT TO READ WHEN YOU SCREW UP THAT BADLY.)
People who type sentences in all capital letters just for kicks.
Hypocrites.
People who don't realize someone is making an obvious joke at their own expense. (Seriously.)
People who get mad when I take their joke seriously as a counter-joke. (Although, I have to admit, that's somewhat the point. But most of it is for humor.)

Zovc
2010-03-26, 02:55 AM
Why is noon 12:00 PM and dawn 12:00 AM? I imagine someone was like, "Oh, it'll be confusing either way!" but thats BOGUS! How would 1-12 AM, then 1-12 PM be more confusing then 12-11 AM and 12-11 PM?

>:O

Ninja Chocobo
2010-03-26, 03:20 AM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
So, enough people got it wrong that the actual meaning was changed?!
So much for linguistics I guess. I mean come on it's got deci- right in the friggin' word!

ClockShock
2010-03-26, 04:50 AM
IT'S DIFFICULT TO READ WHEN YOU SCREW UP THAT BADLY.)
People who type sentences in all capital letters just for kicks.
Hypocrites.

:smallwink:

Why is noon 12:00 PM and dawn 12:00 AM? I imagine someone was like, "Oh, it'll be confusing either way!" but thats BOGUS! How would 1-12 AM, then 1-12 PM be more confusing then 12-11 AM and 12-11 PM?
Try thinking of it like this. If 12:00 is the middle of the day, then 12:01 is after midday and therefore PM. So, 1 second past 12:00 is after midday, and is also PM.
It gets to the point where if you're displaying 12:00, it's technically after midday so it counts as PM.
(note: I'm not sure how the logic is meant to work - but this is how i rationalise it)

Zovc
2010-03-26, 05:01 AM
:smallwink:

Try thinking of it like this. If 12:00 is the middle of the day, then 12:01 is after midday and therefore PM. So, 1 second past 12:00 is after midday, and is also PM.
It gets to the point where if you're displaying 12:00, it's technically after midday so it counts as PM.
(note: I'm not sure how the logic is meant to work - but this is how i rationalise it)

I suppose the terms behind AM and PM make it make sense, but it doesn't look or 'seem' right.

banjo1985
2010-03-26, 05:29 AM
People that try to insinuate themselves onto the rush hour train before the people who are trying to get off are out of the way. If you wait a minute you'll have a much easier time getting on you infuriating people!

People that see that the train is full but force themselves on anyway, brazenly asking people to "move back and fill up all the space." Don't these people realise that the tiny amount of space left is so that people can shuffle about to let people off at stops?! :smallfurious:

katans
2010-03-26, 05:47 AM
Things that seriously get on my nerves:

- Misspelling "rogue" for another word related to make-up.
- Scientific reductionism. Well, any form of reductionism, in fact. But scientific reductionism really makes my hair stand.
- Speaking of hair, shaving nazis. Grow up, people. It's a matter of personal preference and fashion, just like pretty much everything. Don't "hygiene" me, that's absolute bull****.
- People who just couldn't make a SHORT point if their lives depended on it.
- People who think it's okay and normal not to pay taxes, and on the other hand want everything paid by the government.
- People driving too cautiously slow. Three snowflakes falling are NOT a valid reason to drive at 30 mph on a highway.

That's about enough for now, I guess.

BisectedBrioche
2010-03-26, 06:16 AM

>:O

If you want to get specific, it's actually PM 12:00, since you're supposed to affix PM to the front of a time.

If it really bothers you then use the 24 hour clock.

Zovc
2010-03-26, 07:00 AM
If it really bothers you then use the 24 hour clock.

I was for a long time, but everyone would fuss at me when I would give them the 24-hour time, or if they just SAW that I was using it.

Jack Squat
2010-03-26, 07:37 AM
If you want to get specific, it's actually PM 12:00, since you're supposed to affix PM to the front of a time.

Well, at least we got it right in putting the month before the day :smallwink:

I use 24 hour time because of two things that drove me crazy.
1) people will tell you to be somewhere and leave out whether it's in the morning or afternoon. Not so big of a deal for times like 3 and 12, but 8 or 10 isn't as clear cut.
2) More than once people would grab my arm to check my watch. Setting it to 24 hour fixed this for the most part.

Since most people around here run by 12hr time, I just translate it over for them when asked for the time. However, for planning things I will tell people in 24hr.

Coplantor
2010-03-26, 07:38 AM
Bad design
- The fact that black on white is the industry standard in websites/computer documents and it's like staring into a lightbulb
- Underlining in typed documents. It looks messy and I dislike it
- Excessive formatting
- Powerpoint presentations filled with text
-- Powerpoint presentations filled with text on a clashing image background

Do you want to be my BF4E?
Back on topic

-People who thinks that knocking on heavens door was written by the guns and roses.
-Unjustified discrimination towards movies only based on the nationality of said movie or if it is animated. I remember some conversations in wich I recommended a movie to someone, told them the basic plot, genre, etc... and they liked it, BUT, when I mentioned it was animated or from a country different than EEUU, UK or Argentina, they immediatly refused to watch it.
I heard stuff like "Spanish? Come on! How could it be good if it comes from spain?"

Following the above, recomending any japanese horror movie always ends with "Japanese? Really? It must be very stupid". The person who said that just happened to have loved the american version of "The Ring".

Dogmantra
2010-03-26, 08:23 AM
Do you want to be my BF4E?

Sure thing, let's swap clothes!

Klose_the_Sith
2010-03-26, 08:39 AM

Yes, yes I do.

Because I am a person.

BisectedBrioche
2010-03-26, 08:43 AM
Yes, yes I do.

Because I am a person.

No, you are a nuisance. You are not too good to cover your mouth, nor are you above standing behind someone in a group of 3 people or more.

Always leave a space for faster pedestrians. :smallfurious:

Klose_the_Sith
2010-03-26, 08:46 AM
No, you are a nuisance. You are not too good to cover your mouth, nor are you above standing behind someone in a group of 3 people or more.

Always leave a space for faster pedestrians. :smallfurious:

:smallconfused:

I'm showing you no hostility by yawning in my free time in a free country which supports equal rights, nor is there anything wrong with wanting to walk with my friends so that we can talk.

Why does this irk you so much? Are there not simple ways around a group on the pavement?

Because I and my friend (who weren't walking single file) quite easily passed through a group of drunken ragamuffins this evening on the pavement.

Just assert yourself and walk through. I really can't imagine people are going to stand there, yawn loudly in your face and then whisper 'no' just to waste your time :smalltongue:

Copacetic
2010-03-26, 09:06 AM
Anyone who can't make excuses for other people but expects that their problems be dealt with pronto.

BisectedBrioche
2010-03-26, 09:12 AM
:smallconfused:

I'm showing you no hostility by yawning in my free time in a free country which supports equal rights, nor is there anything wrong with wanting to walk with my friends so that we can talk.

Why does this irk you so much? Are there not simple ways around a group on the pavement?

Because I and my friend (who weren't walking single file) quite easily passed through a group of drunken ragamuffins this evening on the pavement.

Just assert yourself and walk through. I really can't imagine people are going to stand there, yawn loudly in your face and then whisper 'no' just to waste your time :smalltongue:

It is, and has always been in many societies, rude to yawn loudly in public (hence the classic representation of putting one's hand over one's mouth when engaged in it). And it is most annoying when you're tired yourself (not to mention all the more contagious). Since the reflex reaction is mainly based on the movement of jaws and inhaling, making a significant sound is either deliberate (and thus even more rude) or something you need to see your GP about.

And it's not just pavements. There's supermarket isles, corridors and a whole host of other places where it's impossible to get around anyone who's letting their ego get in the way of their manners. Not to mention smaller pavements, I don't have any problem with people walking side by side in princable, just people who insist on doing it when there isn't space for it.

I hope you have enjoyed this rant; brought to you by the tired-ish students of Stafford.

Ashen Lilies
2010-03-26, 10:19 AM
People who ask me how/why I know certain things. Uh... because I do?
Like for example, today in the art exhibition, I was asked by some people to explain what 'phallic' meant (it was in the title of a piece). I do so. Cue a whole host of people wondering why I would even know such an explicitly specific word. I mean, COME ON! It's the English language people, you know, the one you and I speak, in order to communicate our thoughts and ideas and emotions? It's there, just... just use it. :smallsigh:

Also, people who characterize me as a boring old stodger who always takes things seriously because I wear glasses and don't binge drink, then get surprised whenever I make a joke. WHICH IS ALL THE TIME. Seriously, if you had an attention span larger than that of a shrew's, you might notice that you've been saying 'OMG YOU ACTUALLY HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR I DID NOT KNOW THAT' every day for the past five years.

Dienekes
2010-03-26, 12:41 PM
I have some basic ones, like people who bounce their leg repeatedly thus vibrating the floor/soffa/desk/whatever I'm sitting at that suddenly starts to vibrate.

Overzealous grammar nazis. Alright if I say something that makes no sense, of course ask me to correct myself. But if I say "me and a friend" instead of "my friends and I" nothing is hurt except, well, nothing.

A group of people who take up the entire sidewalk and move slowly (or slower than me) and then act all indignant if I try to move through them. Or for the High School variant (ahh the good old days) those that form giant circles in the hall, especially if it's just going through or coming from the stairwell.

Posters who put their name below their posts. I really can't explain why this annoys me so much. I know a lot of you do it, but to me your name is already up and to the right. There is no reason to post it again. We're not that dumb as to forget.

On the same vein, using leetspeak in normal conversation for anything other than joking purposes. Don't say "lol" actually laugh, or smile, or something.

Using blatant logical fallacies to explain arguments (more specifically appeals to authority). I don't care how important the man who said what you're trying to discuss was, explain why it's a good or bad idea.

Oh and occasions where I have to dress up. Personally, I find ties, button down shirts, and god forbid suits annoying and uncomfortable. I much prefer jeans and a t-shirt any day.

Dogmantra
2010-03-26, 12:56 PM
I have some basic ones, like people who bounce their leg repeatedly thus vibrating the floor/soffa/desk/whatever I'm sitting at that suddenly starts to vibrate.

I call this "hummingbird's leg" and it's really incredibly hard to stop doing it once you've started.

Asta Kask
2010-03-26, 01:13 PM
People who believe rock stars give credible information on politics.

If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are.
Alice Cooper

My favorite AC quote.

People who use this quote to hide the fact that they can't even be bothered to try to make their theories internally consistent:

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jack Squat
2010-03-26, 01:20 PM
Oh and occasions where I have to dress up. Personally, I find ties, button down shirts, and god forbid suits annoying and uncomfortable. I much prefer jeans and a t-shirt any day.

Are there any guys who like ties? I know a few that don't mind them, but I can't really think of anyone who wears one just 'cause.

Thajocoth
2010-03-26, 01:21 PM
Are there any guys who like ties? I know a few that don't mind them, but I can't really think of anyone who wears one just 'cause.

Yes. There were two where I used to work. One still works there. t-shirts and denim pants were fairly standard there, but they'd come in every Friday dressed formally. Formal Friday, they called it.

Dienekes
2010-03-26, 01:26 PM
I call this "hummingbird's leg" and it's really incredibly hard to stop doing it once you've started.

My roommate used to do it. Then I started punching his leg whenever he started. He stopped by the end of the year. Yeah, I know I'm a bad guy for hitting him, but it worked.

Oh yes, not just rock stars but actors and countryfolk and whatever. Made all the funnier when these people are popular in a large part because of their political songs.

I don't know anyone who likes ties in and of themselves. But I know quite a few who like to "look good" or "professional" or whatever they think a tie makes them look like. Which means wearing these uncomfortable pieces of cloth around their necks. Personally, I don't give much for trying to improve my appearance via any means, much less uncomfortable cloths (of course this is probably why I have become known as a remarkably ugly individual).

Starbuck_II
2010-03-26, 01:28 PM
People who don't realize someone is making an obvious joke at their own expense. (Seriously.)

Why does it upset you that they aren't upset?

Xzeno
2010-03-26, 01:29 PM
How about when people leave time on a microwave? It's like, can't you wait five more seconds? Will it burn your food? Can't you be bothered to hit the clear button?

I'm not alone in this, am I?

Thajocoth
2010-03-26, 01:30 PM

EDIT: Changed my post to avoid leaving what could be considered a political statement here.

Dogmantra
2010-03-26, 01:31 PM
My roommate used to do it. Then I started punching his leg whenever he started. He stopped by the end of the year. Yeah, I know I'm a bad guy for hitting him, but it worked.

Okay, please don't ever come near me. I sometimes start and then I do it with two legs at the same time...

absolmorph
2010-03-26, 02:57 PM
Why does it upset you that they aren't upset?
Wait... what?
Did you mean to quote a late part of my post?