PDA

View Full Version : India weaponizes bhut chilis to protect women from "anti-socials"

13_CBS
2010-03-24, 07:25 PM
According to this article from The Escapist (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99402-India-Developing-Weaponized-Chili-Peppers), India is planning on weaponizing the spiciest chili in the world in order to, among other things, "...keep anti-socials..." away from the local women.

"There are other applications as well, what we call women power," Srivastava added. "A specially made chilli powder could act as a tool for women to keep away anti-socials and work in this regard is also on[going]."

Looks like I won't be going to India anytime soon. :smalleek:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh314/13cbs/poster61571531.jpg

Alright, alright, it was probably just a typo or a goof from the lead scientist, but it's funnier to assume that India is developing chemical weaponry against anti-social people.

The Rose Dragon
2010-03-24, 07:26 PM
They probably meant "sociopath".

Maximum Zersk
2010-03-24, 07:30 PM
Hey, if you can't handle our spices, you're not allowed to associate with us. :smalltongue:

Pheehelm
2010-03-24, 08:08 PM
I'm with The Rose Dragon. Think "Antisocial Personality Disorder," not "unsocial."

Anyways, is this that much different from the pepper spray commonly carried in the West?

FoeHammer
2010-03-24, 08:24 PM
I'm with The Rose Dragon. Think "Antisocial Personality Disorder," not "unsocial."

Anyways, is this that much different from the pepper spray commonly carried in the West?

In a word, yes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhut_Jolokia_pepper#As_a_Bio-weapon).

Anything that can be used in a grenade is generally considered some pretty potent stuff.

Coidzor
2010-03-24, 09:24 PM
Looks like I won't be going to India anytime soon. :smalleek:

You make a habit of assaulting women or giving enough signs of aggression that it could be reasonably interpreted that you were?

And find the idea of comparing yourself to rapists and hoodlums amusing?

Strange world we live in. Never really understood this use of rape as a comedic thing.

13_CBS
2010-03-24, 09:28 PM
You make a habit of assaulting women or giving enough signs of aggression that it could be reasonably interpreted that you were?

And find the idea of comparing yourself to rapists and hoodlums amusing?

Strange world we live in. Never really understood this use of rape as a comedic thing.

Erm, no. :smallconfused: I was trying to imply that I was anti-social (since I kind of am), since the comment made by the head scientist (mistakenly) says that the new bhut sprays are for dealing with "anti-social" people. "Looks like I won't be going to India anytime soon [since they're going to pepper spray anti social people, and I don't wanna get hit by it]", not "Looks I wont be going to India anytime soon [since I assault women habitually, hur]".

Thanks for accusing me of thinking that rape is funny, by the way. False accusations are something I aspire to gain.

RS14
2010-03-25, 12:52 AM
Pheehelm has it right.

Antisocial personality disorder (ASPD or APD) is defined by the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual as "...a pervasive pattern of disregard for, and violation of, the rights of others that begins in childhood or early adolescence and continues into adulthood."[1]

The individual must be age 18 or older, as well as have a documented history of a conduct disorder before the age of 15.[1] People having antisocial personality disorder are sometimes referred to as "sociopaths" and "psychopaths", although some researchers believe that these terms are not synonymous with ASPD.[2]

It is also generally used in this manner in the UK, see e.g. the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003.

Maximum Zersk
2010-03-25, 01:04 AM
Like I said, they're not allowed in South Asia anyway if they can't handle a mere 1 000 times spicier than a Jalapeno. :smallamused:

If you can handle that, then we'll talk about Capsaicin maybe.

BisectedBrioche
2010-03-25, 03:32 AM
Hmm, I don't see how this would be any more powerful than existing sprays. Sure there's more capsaicin available from one given chillie, but the strength of the spray comes down to the ratio of capsaicin:solvent regardless of where the capsaicin came from.

Icewalker
2010-03-25, 11:19 AM
Well one way or another, I enjoy the opportunity to learn of a pepper so potent that it is used in hand grenades to quell riots. Really, when your foodstuff has a section in its wikipedia article titled "as a bio-weapon" you know you have some strong stuff. :smalltongue:

Does anyone know if just eating one straight would cause damage to the taste buds?

arguskos
2010-03-25, 11:31 AM
Does anyone know if just eating one straight would cause damage to the taste buds?
Done it. Was mildly painful. I can still taste stuff fine though, so, no? To be really fair, I am a spice fiend, and am very used to meals made with that specific pepper, so I am perhaps a corner case.

JediSoth
2010-03-25, 11:37 AM
But can you use it to spice up your food en masse? Be like a Ninja-Emeril...walk into a large kitchen and BAM! All your food is spicy. At once. No exceptions. (or would that be KA-BLAMMO?)

arguskos
2010-03-25, 11:45 AM
But can you use it to spice up your food en masse? Be like a Ninja-Emeril...walk into a large kitchen and BAM! All your food is spicy. At once. No exceptions. (or would that be KA-BLAMMO?)
Hmm... grenades as seasoning delivery methods? I smell potential here boys. :smallcool:

mucat
2010-03-25, 01:38 PM
Erm, no. :smallconfused: I was trying to imply that I was anti-social (since I kind of am), since the comment made by the head scientist (mistakenly) says that the new bhut sprays are for dealing with "anti-social" people.
CBS, you're misunderstanding the meaning of the word "anti-social". It doesn't mean "introverted" or "unsocial"; it means...well, I'll let the DSM say it: "a pervasive pattern of disregard for, and violation of, the rights of others."

They're not threatening to pepper-spray quiet people. ;-)

Yora
2010-03-25, 01:51 PM
Anything that can be used in a grenade is generally considered some pretty potent stuff.
Just take a bite and use it as a potion of dreagons breath!

Cristo Meyers
2010-03-25, 02:29 PM
Hmm... grenades as seasoning delivery methods? I smell potential here boys. :smallcool:

I'll call the Mythbusters. They've already got experience in testing explosives as a painting method...

Rutskarn
2010-03-25, 03:28 PM
This is actually an interesting press release, for a variety of reasons:

1.) It is interesting that conventional self-defense aids do not make use of this chili, perhaps indicating that it is dangerous and can maim individuals

2.) Bhut chilis.

3.) Hehe. Bhut.

Asta Kask
2010-03-25, 03:31 PM

Nope. Your taste buds use other receptors. Capsaicin binds to heat receptors and they located all over the tongue. You might get a reduced response to hot (as in high temperature) food, though.

13_CBS
2010-03-25, 10:17 PM
CBS, you're misunderstanding the meaning of the word "anti-social". It doesn't mean "introverted" or "unsocial"; it means...well, I'll let the DSM say it: "a pervasive pattern of disregard for, and violation of, the rights of others."

Really? Interesting. In every other time I've heard it used, it simply meant, well, "introverted" or "unsocial".

They're not threatening to pepper-spray quiet people. ;-)

:smallsigh: I'm well aware of this. Chalk it up to my different understanding of the word "anti social", then.

Maximum Zersk
2010-03-25, 10:26 PM
Really? Interesting. In every other time I've heard it used, it simply meant, well, "introverted" or "unsocial".

:smallsigh: I'm well aware of this. Chalk it up to my different understanding of the word "anti social", then.

Yeah, well people get the idea of irony wrong, too.

RS14
2010-03-25, 10:33 PM
This is actually an interesting press release, for a variety of reasons:

1.) It is interesting that conventional self-defense aids do not make use of this chili, perhaps indicating that it is dangerous and can maim individuals

Probably not. We've been able to isolate pure capsaicin for ages. You can buy it from chemical supply companies. It strikes me as a typical pepper-spray trying to inflate its image by pretending the particular pepper gives it some particular strength, and by pretending that the capsaicin grenades using this particular pepper are somehow unique.

Besides, self-defense aids should be dangerous. That's sort of the point. :smallwink:

13_CBS
2010-03-25, 10:34 PM
Yeah, well people get the idea of irony wrong, too.

In my case, it feels like being told that pies aren't actually these (http://outnumberedtwotoone.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/pumpkinpie.jpg) but are instead these (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_53oMB4-fxXM/SVZZdJntnPI/AAAAAAAAAAM/vXEtrdBFtqI/s1600-R/cookie.gif).

V for Victory
2010-03-27, 09:57 AM
:smallsigh: I'm well aware of this. Chalk it up to my different wrong understanding of the word "anti social", then.

I fixed it for you

Anuan
2010-03-27, 10:11 AM

Yeah...this, pretty much. What people mean when they say 'antisocial' is 'asocial.' This is the correct term. Antisocial tendencies are tendencies that disrupt society and completely go against its laws. For instance, blowing up a bank! ...Okay, that's an extreme instance.

Asocial tendencies are things like sitting at home instead of getting drunken STI's.

I fixed it for you

No need to be mean.

Yarram
2010-03-27, 10:33 AM
Done it. Was mildly painful. I can still taste stuff fine though, so, no? To be really fair, I am a spice fiend, and am very used to meals made with that specific pepper, so I am perhaps a corner case.

Liar. You cried like a little girl didn't you. :smallbiggrin:

DraPrime
2010-03-27, 10:37 AM
In my case, it feels like being told that pies aren't actually these (http://outnumberedtwotoone.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/pumpkinpie.jpg) but are instead these (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_53oMB4-fxXM/SVZZdJntnPI/AAAAAAAAAAM/vXEtrdBFtqI/s1600-R/cookie.gif).

Cookies are pies? :smallconfused:

Rutskarn
2010-03-27, 11:34 AM
Probably not. We've been able to isolate pure capsaicin for ages. You can buy it from chemical supply companies. It strikes me as a typical pepper-spray trying to inflate its image by pretending the particular pepper gives it some particular strength, and by pretending that the capsaicin grenades using this particular pepper are somehow unique.

I'mm a level with you, I just needed to come up with an excuse for the joke.

Besides, self-defense aids should be dangerous. That's sort of the point. :smallwink:

Not really, no. That's why we don't all carry portable flamethrowers. Self-defense devices are supposed to be something that can theoretically divert an attacker without killing or permanently injuring them, in case their assault proves to be unnecessary (such as if a person panics and sprays someone on a subway, or if they use it out of anger).