PDA

View Full Version : Was it fair for the Elven Commander to make that "good goblin" jest?

paladinofshojo
2010-03-24, 07:28 PM
Okay first off, the hobgoblin only got put into jail because he was a racist against regular old gobbos. He wasn't even pretending to be good, so why exactly did the Commander have him thrown out of the balcony with a total spin-off speach to get his hopes up? That was just pure spite. I'm not talking about killing the goblin, I'm talking about getting his hopes up and then killing him. That's like telling a cancer patient that you can save his life and then taking it back because you wanted to see the look on his face when you told him you were lying.

Wolfram
2010-03-24, 07:32 PM
Not fair, but necessary. We needed a punchline. :smallsmile:

veti
2010-03-24, 07:42 PM
Can you define "fair"? I'm pretty sure I can't.

Debatra
2010-03-24, 07:44 PM
Ilmater help us, not another one. There's plenty of discussion on the topic in the strip's thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146041).

NerfTW
2010-03-24, 07:47 PM
Are we replacing "is x moral" threads with "is x fair" threads now?

Inhuman Bot
2010-03-24, 07:48 PM
Are we replacing "is x moral" threads with "is x fair" threads now?

Was it fair of you to say that/start this thread/etc.

CrimsonAngel
2010-03-24, 07:52 PM
Totaly fair, screw the color orange.

zimmerwald1915
2010-03-24, 07:54 PM
No. Elves have had more than their fair share of punchlines already.

Kish
2010-03-24, 07:59 PM
The statement, "The only good (race) is a dead (race)" is very much not about being fair.

LuisDantas
2010-03-24, 08:10 PM
Okay first off, the hobgoblin only got put into jail because he was a racist against regular old gobbos. He wasn't even pretending to be good, so why exactly did the Commander have him thrown out of the balcony with a total spin-off speach to get his hopes up? That was just pure spite. I'm not talking about killing the goblin, I'm talking about getting his hopes up and then killing him. That's like telling a cancer patient that you can save his life and then taking it back because you wanted to see the look on his face when you told him you were lying.

The moral qualities (or lack thereof) of the hobgoblin are quite besides the point, and the sadistic choice to give him hope is ultimately only a mild aggravant.

Killing the hobgoblin in such a situation, with not even an excuse, and confessing to make a point of not respecting (hob)goblins' lives in general is quite clearly despicable.

The Giant
2010-03-24, 10:46 PM
I'm pretty sure Roland has been locking threads like this and directing people to the main discussion thread for that comic.