PDA

View Full Version : ...To one ally within... Question [4e]

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-03-24, 07:39 PM
Last session, my PCs were running around their dungeon, killing undead, and the warlock went into a side corridor to flank the skeletons. He lost sight of the other characters, and they him. This was all well and good, and I kept everyone on the battlemap where the players could see. Then, the pally decided to use Shielding Smite. Shielding Smite has an Effect that states that "one ally within 5 squares of you gains a +[Wisdom Modifier] bonus to AC." He wanted to use his bonus on the warlock in the side passage, and was within 5 squares but out of sight of the paladin. I ruled that he couldn't apply the bonus to the warlock because his character didn't know that he was within 25 feet, and even though the player did know where the warlock was, neither he nor his character would waste risking his boon if they didn't. The player's argument was that the power didn't say he needed clear line of sight, and that it was his god granting the boon and not him, so just the god needed to know if he was close enough. (Which is mostly how the divine fluff works in our campaign, though I don't think the argument makes much sense.) After I ruled, there was a bit of grumbling, but the players were OK with it after I promised I'd ask you guys. (He did have other allies to use it on, and did use it on one of them, by the way.)

So: was I right? If a rule says an ally within x squares, and doesn't specify the sight requirements, do you have to be able to see them?

Gralamin
2010-03-24, 07:46 PM
So: was I right? If a rule says an ally within x squares, and doesn't specify the sight requirements, do you have to be able to see them?

You don't have to be able to see them, but you must have line of effect. So, they could be invisible, but they could not be behind a wall.

Swordgleam
2010-03-24, 07:48 PM
I'd say no, just because there are a ton of powers that read, "an ally within X squares who can see or hear you." So if a power doesn't have that wording, I'd assume it's for a good reason.

Nightson
2010-03-24, 08:56 PM
You need line of effect to the target, so no dice for the paladin in your case.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-03-24, 10:40 PM
Excellent. Thanks guys! :smallcool: