PDA

View Full Version : Ability Damage on shapeshifters

WarKitty
2010-03-24, 08:47 PM
I am playing a wereleopard in our current campaign (for those of you that helped me build it, thanks she's working out nicely). The question is, I managed to eat a dire rat and fail my initial fortitude save. I looked up the sickness and noticed it does Dex and Con damage.

My question: as a lycanthrope I have 2 different sets of physical ability scores, one for my human form and one for my animal and hybrid forms. Which of these takes damage? Both? My natural form? Whatever form I am in at the time when I take damage?

Captainocaptain
2010-03-24, 09:21 PM
Both forms take damage. When you are affecting by a debilitating condition, such as poison or disease, it does not go away when you change forms. Same goes for benefits, such as enchantments.

WarKitty
2010-03-24, 09:37 PM
Both forms take damage. When you are affecting by a debilitating condition, such as poison or disease, it does not go away when you change forms. Same goes for benefits, such as enchantments.

Ok thanks! I looked through the SRD but couldn't find anything on that.

unre9istered
2010-03-24, 10:19 PM
Given that hp damage isn't tracked separately, why should ability damage. Though one form will have more hp (higher ability score) and would last longer.

Eldariel
2010-03-24, 10:37 PM
Given that hp damage isn't tracked separately, why should ability damage. Though one form will have more hp (higher ability score) and would last longer.

Except HP isn't tracked separately, nor affected by shapechanging, from whence comes the distinction. Abilities are. As such, it's reasonable to rule it either way: Ability score damage (to stats of that form) in another form only matters in that form, or that it applies universally to all forms as an overlay.

On one hand, damage to stats of your non-native form shouldn't really matter to you one bit as you no longer have those stats once you dismiss said spell, but on the other, damage is damage is damage and as such, damage shouldn't just "disappear". But yeah, RAW isn't clear on this (as with so many other issues).

Togo
2010-03-25, 08:49 AM
I've been playing a master of many forms for 5 years now.

I'd strongly recommend tracking damage/conditions and applying them to whichever form you are in at the time. If you change form, the damage/conditions transfer to this new form. Yes, this means that sometimes you can't change or you'll die, but this method avoids some of the really complicated problems that you get if you try doing it any other way.

Note that this also means that bonuses applied to one form will transfer to the new form as well, such as bull's strength, temp hp etc. Just make sure that your new form is actually a valid target. For example, if someone casts hold person on you, and then polymorphs you into a toad, you're no longer held, because a toad is not a valid target for hold person. Similarly, if you cast enlarge person on yourself and then transform into a leopard, you'll no longer be enlarged.

Eldariel
2010-03-25, 09:16 AM
I've been playing a master of many forms for 5 years now.

I'd strongly recommend tracking damage/conditions and applying them to whichever form you are in at the time. If you change form, the damage/conditions transfer to this new form. Yes, this means that sometimes you can't change or you'll die, but this method avoids some of the really complicated problems that you get if you try doing it any other way.

Note that this also means that bonuses applied to one form will transfer to the new form as well, such as bull's strength, temp hp etc. Just make sure that your new form is actually a valid target. For example, if someone casts hold person on you, and then polymorphs you into a toad, you're no longer held, because a toad is not a valid target for hold person. Similarly, if you cast enlarge person on yourself and then transform into a leopard, you'll no longer be enlarged.

Note that Wildshape no longer affects your type so you can indeed be targeted by Enlarge Person while in Wildshape.

hewhosaysfish
2010-03-25, 01:25 PM
Well, for lycanthropes specificallly, the change of shape doesn't replace your stats but modify them. So I would be strongly inclined to say that the ability damage would carry over between forms.

For the more general case, for effects like polymorph which replace your stats, I would suggest that the fair and balanced option would be to LOOK! AN EAGLE!

*dives out the window*

Keld Denar
2010-03-25, 02:34 PM
Doesn't wildshaping heal you as if you got a full night sleep? That should cure 1 point of ability damage from each stat every time you rest. Since you can shift multiple times per day, the ability damage from the disease should be only a minor inconvenience until you make your 2 fort saves in a row.