PDA

View Full Version : how many immediate spells can you cast in a row?

taltamir
2010-03-24, 09:09 PM
How many immediate spells can you cast in a row?
this goes specifically to ruin delver's fortune, if you could cast several of them at once (immediate and can be cast on anothers turn) you can just acquire as much HP as you need to survive whatever just hit you.

FishAreWet
2010-03-24, 09:10 PM
An immediate action is a swift action out of turn.

Not only can you only cast one, but if you cast it, you can't use a Swift Action.

Swordgleam
2010-03-24, 09:16 PM
My cursor was over the title and I read it as "how many immediate spells can you cast on an arrow?"

Now I want to build a character whose schtick is to cast as many spells as possible on arrows and use them to hinder/kill enemies in entertainingly magical ways.

Jack_Simth
2010-03-24, 09:18 PM
How many immediate spells can you cast in a row?
this goes specifically to ruin delver's fortune, if you could cast several of them at once (immediate and can be cast on anothers turn) you can just acquire as much HP as you need to survive whatever just hit you.

One. It burns your swift action for the next turn. You can Read All About It (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#immediateActions) in the SRD.

Eldariel
2010-03-24, 09:36 PM
My cursor was over the title and I read it as "how many immediate spells can you cast on an arrow?"

Now I want to build a character whose schtick is to cast as many spells as possible on arrows and use them to hinder/kill enemies in entertainingly magical ways.

Now then, start out as an Arcane Archer (one spell per arrow) with Smiting Spell (lasts 1 min so theoretically as many as you can cast in a minute), and you're already well on your way. I guess you could use Arrow of Bone with Flame Arrow cast on it too. If there were a way to get Spell Storing on arrows...

But yeah, that's a good start :smallbiggrin: [/Oooh, shiny!]

Heliomance
2010-03-24, 09:45 PM
One. It burns your swift action for the next turn. You can Read All About It (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#immediateActions) in the SRD.

Two, actually. On your turn, cast as a swift action. End your turn. Cast another one as an immediate action.

magic9mushroom
2010-03-24, 09:49 PM
This is why "free actions that you can take when it's not your turn" are better.

Optimystik
2010-03-24, 10:12 PM
This is why "free actions that you can take when it's not your turn" are better.

Speaking? :smallconfused:

magic9mushroom
2010-03-24, 10:16 PM
Speaking? :smallconfused:

Battlemagic Perception.

Also, one of the possibilities for Beholder Mages casting immediate-action spells.

Abd al-Azrad
2010-03-24, 10:57 PM
Now then, start out as an Arcane Archer (one spell per arrow) with Smiting Spell (lasts 1 min so theoretically as many as you can cast in a minute), and you're already well on your way. I guess you could use Arrow of Bone with Flame Arrow cast on it too. If there were a way to get Spell Storing on arrows...

But yeah, that's a good start :smallbiggrin: [/Oooh, shiny!]

I... er... also got drawn into this thread by accident.

(Mage's) Slumber Arrows can add a Will or fall asleep. Not too good, but it's another effect, and at 11th level it will last longer than a minute, so you can pile Smiting spells into the arrow from there. And if they fail the save, well, the baddies lose.

Smiting Spells seem to be unusable on bows (or any weapon that requires ammunition) but they don't specifically prohibit ammunition. Bwa ha ha...

Shrink Item on Colossal Arrows would add an extra conceivable effect. Not sure if it would do anything, you'd probably be having a heck of a time to houserule the effect, but having your ridiculous arrows expand inside a target could hurt them a lot. Or, fill the Colossal arrowhead with acid before shrinking it.

Would a True Strike count, as it only affects the one attack?