PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Quick question(just cuz I like to second guess myself)

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-03-24, 09:55 PM
If I take the thirty foot cone template from the back of the DMG (307 to be precise) and arranged four of them so that they make a "circle" that'd be a 30 foot radius, yes?

EDIT: On a [semi]related note IIRC the PHB says that "bursts" are defaulted to spherical. Am I remembering that right? It would probably only take a second or two to look it up but... I am VERY lazy, lol.

Further EDIT: On a related and much more important note; does "30ft burst" mean "30ft in all directions from source" (i.e. 30ft radius) or "30ft (total) across" (i.e. 30ft diameter)? If it matters for any reason I'm looking at Profane Lifeleech from Libris Mortis, page 29. Thanks all

Private-Prinny
2010-03-24, 10:03 PM
Probably ninja'd, but yes, that would work perfectly.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-03-24, 10:08 PM
Yay, I have basic spatial relations abilities! Woot! Thanks for confirming for me.

Irreverent Fool
2010-03-24, 11:30 PM
Burst, Emanation, or Spread

Most spells that affect an area function as a burst, an emanation, or a spread. In each case, you select the spell’s point of origin and measure its effect from that point.

A burst spell affects whatever it catches in its area, even including creatures that you can’t see. It can’t affect creatures with total cover from its point of origin (in other words, its effects don’t extend around corners). The default shape for a burst effect is a sphere, but some burst spells are specifically described as cone-shaped. A burst’s area defines how far from the point of origin the spell’s effect extends.

An emanation spell functions like a burst spell, except that the effect continues to radiate from the point of origin for the duration of the spell. Most emanations are cones or spheres.

A spread spell spreads out like a burst but can turn corners. You select the point of origin, and the spell spreads out a given distance in all directions. Figure the area the spell effect fills by taking into account any turns the spell effect takes.

Bursts and emanations are spheres, yes. It beats mentioning that cones are cones, as well, and extend upward and downward from the point of origin. This means a dragon breathing straight down while hovering would have an AOE similar to that of an emanation or spread.

jingle.

obnoxious
sig