PDA

View Full Version : Soul splice on a warrior(optimization)

dota600
2010-03-24, 10:50 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0633.html

Okey you are one of the demons/daemons/devils who are part of the interfiend cooperation commission(IFCC). You have seen a fallen paladin cry out because she has not only lost her powers but her family will also die in the process because of an incredibly powerfull adversary(epic rakhasha or something). Good thing an imp has told her that she can save her family though that imp of course has no power to do anything in which it ask for help to the lower planes to lend him a hand and BOOYAAAH.. you and your 2 pals enter the scene to tempt the now fallen paladin to do what is necessary to save her family.

And to your surprise she agree's with the soulsplice and is now crying to give it to her now in order to destroy the thing that will kill her family.

Okey here is the hard part, what epic martial oriented warriors that you and your 2 buddies will lend to the fallen paladin? Each martial warriors must represent their cooperative alignment(LE,NE,CE).

I myself am weirded out if I will give an epic LE, deathknight crusader/blackguard, epic NE assasin/swordsage and an epic CE Barbarian/Frenzied berserker, though I myself do not know if that will be enough to work out.

Captainocaptain
2010-03-24, 11:02 PM
LE Fallen Paladin gone Blackguard. Nice poke at the paladin's old alignment.
NE Strait fighter with every combat oriented feat known to man. That way the fallen paladin is no longer a fighter without bonus feats!
CE Barbarian, just strait epic Barbarian. DR like crazy, plus, i cant remember what book its from but with the Blood Rage feat.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-03-24, 11:46 PM
LE goes to straight Crusader. Falling is all well and good, but this guy started out choosing the Dark Side. There was no slow and gradual decline of morality, there was no murky string of decisions in which there was no 'right' answer. He dedicated himself to Evil's cause on his twelfth birthday, and has never once wavered in his faith and devotion since. He would tease Vader about being a goody-goody

NE goes Fighter. Feats are a melee's best friend. He cares for nothing but himself, and everyone else can go suck it. The only reason why he even bothers with anything is because helping a fallen paladin is lulz-worthy. Kind of like picking a puppy up just to kick it again. He'd be constantly making digs that 'hell, you'd be more powerful now if you had gone straight fighter than wasting your time with that religious claptrap'.

CE goes Barbarian/Frenzied Berzerker. Charger build. Make it once a race the ex-paladin despised. Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne! The streets shall flood with the blood of my victims! If at first you do not succeed, you probably didn't hit hard enough. Overkill is just their way of expressing jealousy over my massive damage numbers.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-03-24, 11:51 PM
LE Fallen Paladin gone Blackguard. Nice poke at the paladin's old alignment. Add Hexblade for moar to saves, too
NE Strait fighter with every combat oriented feat known to man. That way the fallen paladin is no longer a fighter without bonus feats! Warblade 20, seriously.
CE Barbarian, just strait epic Barbarian. DR like crazy, plus, i cant remember what book its from but with the Blood Rage feat. Add Crusader to flavor. That or Frenzied Beserker, Bear Warrior, and other general Bear goodness

Fixed that for you.

Eldariel
2010-03-24, 11:53 PM
LE goes to straight Crusader. Falling is all well and good, but this guy started out choosing the Dark Side. There was no slow and gradual decline of morality, there was no murky string of decisions in which there was no 'right' answer. He dedicated himself to Evil's cause on his twelfth birthday, and has never once wavered in his faith and devotion since. He would tease Vader about being a goody-goody

NE goes Fighter. Feats are a melee's best friend. He cares for nothing but himself, and everyone else can go suck it. The only reason why he even bothers with anything is because helping a fallen paladin is lulz-worthy. Kind of like picking a puppy up just to kick it again. He'd be constantly making digs that 'hell, you'd be more powerful now if you had gone straight fighter than wasting your time with that religious claptrap'.

CE goes Barbarian/Frenzied Berzerker. Charger build. Make it once a race the ex-paladin despised. Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne! The streets shall flood with the blood of my victims! If at first you do not succeed, you probably didn't hit hard enough. Overkill is just their way of expressing jealousy over my massive damage numbers.

I agree with this, except I'd consider Wildshape Ranger/MoMF in the Fighter-slot. Given Druids are Neutrallish, that fits the NE slot well and adds to the whole nicely. And it definitely adds an aspect that would otherwise be amiss. Though if we don't consider "changing shape" "fighting", this is gone, of course. Then I'd have Daring Swordsage or something of the sort here.

Akal Saris
2010-03-24, 11:56 PM
LE: Jorath, Hand of Annihilation, the Paladin of Tyranny/Blackguard/Hexblade/Epic Blackguard! A man who destroyed his own world with the a sphere of annihilation that spat his black soul out when it devoured him!
"All with fall to the void."

NE: Koveras, the Wall of Force! A half-minotaur, half-dragon, all-man Crusader who once blocked a meteor storm with his face.
"You will not pass...alive."

CE: Malesik, the Dreaded Ex-Monk! A half-elf who took twenty straight levels in monk only to change alignments at the very end!
"HAY GUSY WAHTS UP?"

Eldariel
2010-03-24, 11:59 PM
"HAY GUSY WAHTS UP?"
I got two of my buddies built for messing u up! But who cares? Wish I did, but I'm just not built for that, bro. Gotta fly, hope you're ready to go!

dota600
2010-03-25, 12:22 AM
"HAY GUSY WAHTS UP?"
I will put my palm to my face because of the fact that my demon bro even consider him an eligible candidate to be part of the soul-splice.

Warblade 20, seriously..
Is that more powerful than a normal lvl20 fighter??

Coidzor
2010-03-25, 01:40 AM
I got two of my buddies built for messing u up! But who cares? Wish I did, but I'm just not built for that, bro. Gotta fly, hope you're ready to go!

I love you, guy. I just found those videos on youtube myself.

I'm definitely leaning towards bears for the CE guy. Because bears are godless killing machines that'd fit in perfectly with the abyss.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-03-25, 01:45 AM
Warblade 20, seriously.

Is that more powerful than a normal lvl20 fighter??

Out of the box, with little optimization, yes. Practical optimization can bring a fighter up to an optimized Warblade, but, due to the Warblade's numerous maneuvers and equivalent (albeit lesser in number) about of feats, the Warblade still has something of an edge over the fighter.

So, short answer, yes. The Warblade will likely be doing comparable damage on Full Attacks, can trip, bullrush, or disarm as well as a fighter, and has some unique abilities such that when told "Will Save or Die" he responds calmly with "Concentration check instead."

dota600
2010-03-25, 09:33 AM
Hmmm... come to think of it, is the soul splice spell(or is it a spell to begin with) all totally made up by Burlew or is there a real spell that is within some ambiguous third party book that I need to know about.

I really want to apply this to my one of my lucky P.C in the near future so knowing the rules of it is a great help. :smallsmile:

taltamir
2010-03-25, 10:30 AM
AFAIK soul splice was made up by Rick... (castable by high ranked demons once per 100 years)
not only that, it only gives you access to arcane spells, nothing more, nothing less.

Remember that V blew the "easy concentration check"? as Xykon said, they are still shackled to his mid-level ass.
So soul splicing non arcane casters should give you absolutely nothing...

so you have to redesign the spell to grant you other things... so the question is, what does it grant under the redesign?
BAB?
Feats?
Saves?
HD?
HP?
Su/Ex abilities?

you can't really design an optimum build unless you actually know the peculiarities of the redesigned spell.

Eldariel
2010-03-25, 10:41 AM
AFAIK soul splice was made up by Rick... (castable by high ranked demons once per 100 years)
not only that, it only gives you access to arcane spells, nothing more, nothing less.

Remember that V blew the "easy concentration check"? as Xykon said, they are still shackled to his mid-level ass.
So soul splicing non arcane casters should give you absolutely nothing...

so you have to redesign the spell to grant you other things... so the question is, what does it grant under the redesign?
BAB?
Feats?
Saves?
HD?
HP?
Su/Ex abilities?

you can't really design an optimum build unless you actually know the peculiarities of the redesigned spell.

See, I think it works. The way I see it, it grants all class-derived abilities and none of the HD-derived ones. So bonus feats, yeah, Su/Ex, yeah, HD/HP/Saves/Skills/BAB, no.

That would be consistent with the version used in the series; as arcanists pretty much have no class features aside from arcane magic, it makes perfect sense.

dota600
2010-03-25, 10:43 AM

Eeerr... and what peculiarities do I need to know?:smalleek:

I am quite new to homebrewing, maybe I will come up with something tommorow when I got time and post it here.