PDA

View Full Version : If you have a job interview coming, you may find this helpful

Lin Bayaseda
2010-03-24, 11:29 PM
A new CareerBuilder survey of more than 2,700 hiring managers reveals the outrageous mistakes that some candidates have made in job interviews.

When asked for the most unusual blunders they’d encountered while interviewing candidates, hiring managers reported the following:
• Candidate wore a business suit with flip flops.
• Candidate asked if the interviewer wanted to meet for a drink after.
• Candidate had applied for an accounting job, yet said he was “bad at managing money.”
• Candidate ate food in the employee break room after the interview.
• Candidate recited poetry.
• Candidate applying for a customer service job said “I don’t really like working with people.”
• Candidate had to go immediately to get his dog that had gotten loose in the parking lot.
• Candidate looked at the ceiling during the entire interview.
• Candidate used Dungeons and Dragons as an example of teamwork.
• Candidate filed fingernails.

You have been warned.

Lycan 01
2010-03-25, 12:23 AM
What if its for a hobby store? :smallamused:

Lin Bayaseda
2010-03-25, 12:25 AM
Touché! Well played, sir.

Krade
2010-03-25, 12:49 AM
What if its for a hobby store? :smallamused:

/thread

If I was ever not hired for saying that, I wouldn't want to work there anyway.

The Extinguisher
2010-03-25, 01:34 AM
I actually think I used Magic the Gathering as an example of creative thinking and something else in an interview once. I got the job, so it couldn't have been that bad.

But then again, I imagine that's more for officey type jobs, because all the bosses I've had would laugh (in a good way) if someone used D&D as an example of teamwork. And it really could be a good example of teamwork.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-03-25, 01:41 AM
If your interviewer is unfamiliar with D&D, they may take it as a negative. If slightly familiar, a positive. If very familiar...well...

...they understand the variety of party dynamics, and that you may just be plotting to kill all your teammates. >.>

Boo
2010-03-25, 01:44 AM
I see that you are applying to be my secretary. Do you have any exp--

• Candidate filed fingernails.You're hired!

Thajocoth
2010-03-25, 10:06 AM
I'm in the video game industry. Most of us play tabletop games, so...

That's not the sort of question they'd ask though. They ask questions that have to do with the job itself, not "Can you tell me what I want to hear?" style questions, which asking for an example of teamwork would be.