PDA

View Full Version : Good Magic Items

alpha9, aka Jim
2010-03-24, 11:50 PM
a friend of mine just started DMing, now I have to make a character at 6th level

the question is what are some good magic items for a wizard in the 3,000gp price range

Eldariel
2010-03-24, 11:55 PM
a friend of mine just started DMing, now I have to a character at 6th level

the question is what are some good magic items for a wizard in the 3,000gp price range

Heward's Handy Haversack [DMG]
Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend [DMG]
Artificer's Monocle [MiC]
Heward's Fortifying Bedroll [MiC]
Healing Belt [MiC]

As few examples. Wands of level 1s are useful, of course, too (as backup for running outta spells; Grease/Nerveskitter/Orb of X/etc. are good).

alpha9, aka Jim
2010-03-25, 09:46 AM
I looked into these and they all are great

just one more quetion, are the Dragon Spirit Cicnture and Vanishing Cloak
Dragon Spirit Cicnture: increases the daage of your breath weapon by
one die
Vanashing Cloak: allows for you to go invisable for 4 rounds 3 times a
day or hide you and your allies once a day

my character is an elf half-dragon

Ranos
2010-03-25, 10:00 AM
As few examples. Wands of level 1s are useful, of course, too (as backup for running outta spells; Grease/Nerveskitter/Orb of X/etc. are good).

Especially eternal wands, since they allow him to get arcane spells outside his usual list. Bard, assassin, duskblade...Can have some pretty useful stuff. And if you want to get a bit cheesy, the trapsmith's spells are arcane too.

Eldariel
2010-03-25, 10:04 AM
I looked into these and they all are great

just one more quetion, is the Dragon Spirit Cicnture any good
my character is an elf half-dragon

Just for the breath weapon? Not unless you have some race that actually gets it; Half-Dragon's breath weapon is a joke, low damage and once per day. E.g. Dragonborn of Bahamut [Races of the Dragon] does the firebreathing much better.

So if you're Dragonborn of Bahamut, consider it. If you're a Dragonfire Adept [Dragon Magic], it's a must. If you're anything else short of a True Dragon, don't bother. Half-Dragon's 1/day limit really kills any benefit you might get outta that making it definitely not worth the money.

alpha9, aka Jim
2010-03-25, 10:06 AM
I have taken a feet from races of dragons that lets me use it every 1d4 rounds

Eldariel
2010-03-25, 10:17 AM
I have take a feet from races of dragons that lets me use it every 1d4 rounds

Might as well then. What class are you? It might not be a priority, tho it might be useful. Would rock if it actually scaled in damage tho. That's another reason to prefer the Dragonborn. But yeah, if you're gonna pick it up, might as well pick it now that your breath weapon still remains useful.

cZak
2010-03-25, 11:57 AM
Especially eternal wands, since they allow him to get arcane spells outside his usual list. Bard, assassin, duskblade...Can have some pretty useful stuff. And if you want to get a bit cheesy, the trapsmith's spells are arcane too.

You cannot activate a wand that is not on your spell list sans Use Magic Device.

Wands use the spell trigger activation method

Spell trigger activation... Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wands.htm

Greenish
2010-03-25, 12:02 PM
You cannot activate a wand that is not on your spell list sans Use Magic Device.Except of course Eternal Wands, which you can use if you're able to cast arcane spells.

HunterOfJello
2010-03-25, 12:05 PM
be sure to check out the Guide to Wizards: Playing a GOD (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394.0) and the Utility Belt; or what you should be wearing around your waist (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4400.0])

they're 2 great handbooks with good wizard and adventurer items in them. I especially love the list of items from the utility belt since many of them are under 100 gp like marbles, insectbane candles, masterwork manacles, silver holy symbols, holy water, garlic, frenzy water, and universal solvent

also never forget a mirror (for looking at yourself, scaring vampires and looking around corners inconspicuously)

~~~

"An eternal wand holds a single arcane spell of 3rd level or lower, determined during creation. Any character who can cast arcane spells can activate the wand to use the spell contained in it, regardless of whether the spell appears on his class spell list."

Wait a sec, can you put Glibness on that?

senrath
2010-03-25, 12:09 PM
"An eternal wand holds a single arcane spell of 3rd level or lower, determined during creation. Any character who can cast arcane spells can activate the wand to use the spell contained in it, regardless of whether the spell appears on his class spell list."

Wait a sec, can you put Glibness on that?

As far as I know, yes, you can put Glibness into an Eternal Wand.

Lysander
2010-03-25, 12:10 PM
How about a Rust Bag of Tricks. What flimsy wizard wouldn't like to summon a bear or wolverine to protect them whenever needed?

cZak
2010-03-25, 01:51 PM

Wow. I was not aware of that. Thanx:smallsmile:

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-25, 02:22 PM
Lemme get this straight: You're a Half-Dragon Wizard? Please say no.

Greenish
2010-03-25, 02:24 PM
Lemme get this straight: You're a Half-Dragon Wizard?An elf half-dragon wizard. Each for their own. :smalltongue:

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-25, 02:31 PM
An elf half-dragon wizard. Each for their own. :smalltongue:

And he's sixth level to boot...

HunterOfJello
2010-03-25, 03:30 PM
As far as I know, yes, you can put Glibness into an Eternal Wand.

k, i'm banning that from my campaign asap

i'm glad i noticed that before one of my creative players did

alpha9, aka Jim
2010-03-25, 06:37 PM
An elf half-dragon wizard. Each for their own. :smalltongue:

the rest of my gaming group is out to get me and I'm playing a wizard one way or another

I figure it's best if I can snap their necks if they try anything stuped

rolled up my stats and got: 18, 17, 16, 14, 14
my stats are
Str 18, Dex 16, Con 17, Int 20, Wis 16, Cha 16

Eldariel
2010-03-25, 06:58 PM
the rest of my gaming group is out to get me and I'm playing a wizard one way or another

my stats are

Are the rest of 'em level 9 or how are you dealing with the Level Adjustment?

Redshirt Army
2010-03-25, 07:04 PM
k, i'm banning that from my campaign asap

i'm glad i noticed that before one of my creative players did

Not that I want to get into a discussion, but that seems to be a bit... overkill? :smallconfused:

On a more relevant topic, after the requisite Item of Statistic and Cloak/Vest of Resistance, I've always been impartial to grabbing an eternal wand of an good spell - if you pick well, it's like 2 extra spell slots. :smallbiggrin:

herrhauptmann
2010-03-25, 08:18 PM

my stats are

If this is a game where you're expecting the other PCs to come after you, either hit them back first, or let them dogpile you and kill you. In either case, don't come running to the forums regarding escalation and hurt feelings. I swear this pops up at least once a week.

Better than being a halfdragon wizard, is to wait a few levels, and then build a frenzied berserker ubercharger. Crush them all in one awe-inspiring frenzy, then sit down with the group and ask if they want this junk to keep happening.
What are you doing in regards to level adjustment?

EpicEvokerElf
2010-03-25, 08:25 PM
Playing a wizard with LA seems like a dangerous idea, regardless of your party. I'd stick with straight elf; if you don't suffer the LA, you can screw reality over that much more.

alpha9, aka Jim
2010-03-25, 08:39 PM
Are the rest of 'em level 9 or how are you dealing with the Level Adjustment?

no character level is 6 all except one other are at class level 6

herrhauptmann
2010-03-28, 04:54 PM
no character level is 6 all except one other are at class level 6

So DM is ignoring LA? So the human fighter is supposed to maintain parity with the halfdragon wizard and perhaps the half celestial paladin?
If everyone had equal amounts of LA, I can't see it being a problem in terms of game balance. But if you're the only person ignoring LA, that sounds more than a bit umm, unfair.

Evard
2010-03-28, 05:17 PM
hmm a campy where everyone gets free LA hmmm

anyways I say a +2 cloak of resistance since it helps with saves (your fort and reflex will need help even with your good ability scores)

Cisturn
2010-03-28, 09:25 PM
Wand of Cure Minor Wounds, I know your a half dragon o your hp is probably not going to me too much of an issue, but a healing source is still wonderful to have.

The Rabbler
2010-03-28, 11:53 PM
Wand of Cure Minor Wounds, I know your a half dragon o your hp is probably not going to me too much of an issue, but a healing source is still wonderful to have.

wand of lesser vigor is more useful; just more bang for your buck.

HunterOfJello
2010-03-29, 02:22 AM
Step 1: Check out the Magic Item Compendium

Step 2: Check out the Crystal Keep Index (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php) in the Magic Items sections

Note: Crystal Keep seems to be down at the moment, it should be back online later though.