PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Cleric 3.0-3.5

Shadwen
2010-03-25, 02:35 AM
Hi. I would like to start by thanking you with the help for my tripping dwarven duskblade. I almost survived the whole campaign, but I got too confident.

Let me explain the new campaign to you:
High powered: We rolled a D20 anything 18+ equalled an 18 and we could not get below a 13. I do mean high powered.
We are level 5
This campaign is based on the power shifting on the planes and how the deities and all magic fails and gets extreme boosts at random.
Faith is the key. So what do I play? A Cleric.

Marik VelGuard
Level 5 Human Cleric
Deity: Pelor

STR: 15
CON: 18
DEX: 14
INT: 18
WIS: 17
CHA: 17

Well I know its a bit too much but the story is going to be hard pressed and I need to be able to survive and Heal my teammates.

His past: He is a high ranking official in Pelors church in (insert name here). He has been in duty to Pelor for 17 years. He was gifted with "THE Arm of Nyr".

Books he is allowing:
PHB 3.0 (not sure why its different)
DMG 3.5
Monster Manual 3.5
Masters of the Wild
Tome of Blood
Song and Silence
Defenders of the Faith
Sword and Fist

Please help me out here. Need feats a general setup for skills where to put my attrib points. Spells to take, all that.

Going for Healing on the long run.

EDIT: I am willing to change race or where the stats are placed. Thank you.

EDIT: Decided I might try an Offensive Monk/Cleric Hybrid. Heard it might be fun/nice. Any ideas or suggestions on this or a better hybrid let me know.

Eldariel
2010-03-25, 07:54 AM
With only those sources, Monk/Cleric isn't gonna cut it. That combination demands the "Sacred Fist" PrC to truly be any good, and while Sacred Fist is in Defenders of the Faith, that version doesn't advance your spellcasting but has its own casting and thus sucks.

Good news is, pure Cleric is an excellent warrior (even better in 3.0-land) and as such, I'd just focus on that. For that, you'll want to go:
Str 18
Dex 14
Con 17
Int 15
Wis 18
Cha 17

All level-ups to Wisdom, of course; you're a Wisdom-based caster, after all. Then pick Power Attack and Divine Might [DotF] as feats. 3.0 Divine Might is excellent, though PA unfortunately less so. You should probably still two-hand anyways. Btw, may be worthwhile going Expertise > Improved Trip > Knock-Down [S&F], especially if you go Human (getting Trip on each hit is nice; dealing 10 damage is pretty much automatic). There are also great PrCs available; you should definitely go Church Inquisitor if at all possible (though in this case, it might not as Pelor is NG), and later, definitely enter Sacred Exorcist and Contemplative. SE should be pretty self-explanatory for a Cleric of Pelor anyways and Contemplative for any high-level Cleric, period.

Healing can mostly be done out-of-combat with Wands of Lesser Regenerate Wounds [MotW]; this saves your spell slots for buffing yourself and combat spells. In case things are truly desperate, you can still heal in combat but you should basically attack first, heal second. Once you gain access to the "Heal"-spell, that's worth preparing. Rest of 'em are fairly poor tho.

For buffs, Divine Favor, Divine Power, Spikes [DotF], Recitation [DotF], Righteous Might, etc. are all very useful. As of course, normal Magic Vestment and Greater Magic Weapon. Though Divine Power/Recitation/Righteous Might must wait for the future level-wise. Oh yeah, and don't forget the 3.0 version of the Animal's X-line is Hours/level so make heavy use of those (Empowered Maximized, they're better than any stat enhancer in the game, being +6 - +7).

Metamagic Rods from Tome and Blood should be of interest to you, as well as all the usual caster level enhancers and such. Oh, and obviously pick up Quicken Spell as soon as you get 5th level slots (so level 9). And use either Quarterstaff (with Brambles) or Longspear (otherwise).

Shadwen
2010-03-25, 02:52 PM
Thank you, would I be better off with the monks belt combo and just go unarmed combat cleric instead of the multiclass?

Eldariel
2010-03-25, 03:56 PM
Thank you, would I be better off with the monks belt combo and just go unarmed combat cleric instead of the multiclass?

If you want to fight Unarmed, yes (Quarterstaff tends to function better thanks to Spikes & 1.5*Str to damage, and is just as much of a Monk-weapon though). Well, it may be worth picking one level of Monk to gain Flurry of Blows...except 3.0 Flurry doesn't work with multiclassing, so no, don't do that.

Actually, 3.0 Monk doesn't really work at all with multiclassing so yeah, you're definitely better off picking up Monk's Belt (whether you fight unarmed or with Quarterstaff; works either way) and going with that. Besides, the higher your level, the better buff spells you get (and eventually you'll be able to Quicken the better ones, even) so yeah, go with that.

Shadwen
2010-03-25, 04:20 PM
Thank you for your aid in that. I think that would be pretty nice concept in this game.

Dracons
2010-03-25, 11:31 PM
One feat. Quickened Inflict Light wounds.

Prepare 3.0 Harm.

Everybody dies. Harm has no saving throw. Is touch attack. Makes it so oppintant has 1d4 hp period. A quicken inflict light has minmal of 6 of damage. You just killed the great red half-fiend lich dragon.

PS: Note: If subject saves from your infict light wounds, mage cast magic missile. Fight over.

Shadwen
2010-03-26, 12:41 AM

Prepare 3.0 Harm.

Everybody dies. Harm has no saving throw. Is touch attack. Makes it so oppintant has 1d4 hp period. A quicken inflict light has minmal of 6 of damage. You just killed the great red half-fiend lich dragon.

PS: Note: If subject saves from your infict light wounds, mage cast magic missile. Fight over.

Heh, anyway to include this with a mixed cleric? Like can i fuze it with a punch?

The Glyphstone
2010-03-26, 12:45 AM
That'd be a bad idea (attack against normal AC instead of touch AC), and it's unnecessary...when an enemy has 1d4 HP, 6 damage will kill them just as badly as 6+punch damage. This way is cooler too, you kill people just by laying a finger on them.

Just take pure Cleric all the way, buff yourself as advised in the thread, and you'll make Monks cry.

Taelas
2010-03-26, 12:46 AM
You can deliver any Touch spell through an Unarmed Strike, but you can't cast Harm and deliver an Unarmed Strike in the same round unless it's Quickened.

Shadwen
2010-03-26, 12:51 AM
So just harm and win?

olentu
2010-03-26, 01:02 AM
So just harm and win?

Well you might need heal for undead.

Shadwen
2010-03-26, 01:06 AM
Im a level 5 cleric. can I even harm win?

TheMadLinguist
2010-03-26, 06:19 AM
Be a little older. Middle aged would make your stats:

STR: 14
CON: 17
DEX: 13
INT: 19
WIS: 18
CHA: 18

The con hit is annoying, but the boost to wis and additional turn attempt probably outweigh them.

Optimystik
2010-03-26, 07:44 AM
Don't forget the Travel domain for 3.0 Haste.

:smalleek:

Dhavaer
2010-03-26, 07:49 AM

Prepare 3.0 Harm.

For lich dragons, you'd be wanting Heal and Cure Light, not Harm and Inflict.

Eldariel
2010-03-26, 09:12 AM
Don't forget the Travel domain for 3.0 Haste.

:smalleek:

Ah. Hm. I may have forgotten to mention that, but yeah, take Travel-domain for 3.0 Haste :smallbiggrin:

Shadwen
2010-03-26, 12:11 PM
Ok. So elf/travel to start?

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-26, 01:29 PM
I suggest Buoman for the Race, Nonverbal Spell as a First Level Feat, multiclass into monk for a couple levels, then go Sacred Fist and Radiant Servant of Pelor

Optimystik
2010-03-26, 01:38 PM
I suggest Buoman for the Race, Nonverbal Spell as a First Level Feat, multiclass into monk for a couple levels, then go Sacred Fist and Radiant Servant of Pelor

Sacred Fist was suggested above, but the 3.0 version sucks hard.

Also, Lesser Aasimar >> Buomman (if allowed.)

Shadwen
2010-03-26, 01:38 PM
can you post books? not abbreviations.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-26, 01:41 PM
Sacred Fist was suggested above, but the 3.0 version sucks hard.

Also, Lesser Aasimar >> Buomman (if allowed.)

I realise that, but considering how OBSCENELY broken Lesser Aasamir is , Buoman is a nice alternative

Optimystik
2010-03-26, 01:43 PM

Buomman is in Planar Handbook.
Lesser Aasimar is in Player's Guide to Faerun.

And abbreviations used on this forum are here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18512)

I realise that, but considering how OBSCENELY broken Lesser Aasamir is , Buoman is a nice alternative

I wouldn't call it broken (especially not OBSCENELY.) It's just powerful. It's not like they get a bonus feat or extra skill points.

And considering that Buommans actually lose a feat (Nonverbal Spell is a feat tax) they're pretty weak.

Shadwen
2010-03-26, 01:44 PM
Thank you..going to look in to them so I know what yall are talking about heh.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-26, 01:45 PM

Complete Divine, Planar Handbook, Player's Guide to Faerun, Complete Champion, Expidition to Castle Ravenloft, Unearthed Arcana.

Those are my book suggestions for a "Silent Bob Cleric of Pelor"

which looks like this:

name: Silent Bob
race: Buoman Saint (saint is paid off)
class: Lightbringer Cloistered Cleric 7/Radiant Servant of Pelor 10/Contemplative 1/Divine Oracle 1/Church Inquisitor 1

Shadwen
2010-03-26, 01:50 PM
just looked into boumaan and they dont look to be "broken" they look to have a very nice setup..but would the human feat/skill be better?

Optimystik
2010-03-26, 02:04 PM
just looked into boumaan and they dont look to be "broken" they look to have a very nice setup..but would the human feat/skill be better?

Generally yes, as the +2 Wis doesn't make up for a dead feat.

They are good monks/ninjas etc. but not as good at being casters.

Shadwen
2010-03-26, 02:08 PM
So go with human to make sure things are in tip top shape?

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-26, 02:09 PM
While I understand what use the feat is, I like the whole "Silent Bob" thematics

Shadwen
2010-03-26, 02:12 PM
The silence would be amazing for the rp but besides that it provides nothing else for me to use.

Eldariel
2010-03-26, 03:09 PM
Human is the way to go purely power-wise. They just rock. Feats kick ass, especially in feat-starved classes like...every non-Fighter class.

Optimystik
2010-03-26, 03:20 PM
So go with human to make sure things are in tip top shape?

"tip-top" for a cleric would be Lesser Aasimar. But Human is the next-best alternative.

(Well, "tip-top" would be anthropomorphic bat, but that would also probably get books thrown at you.)

Shadwen
2010-03-26, 05:43 PM
Im trying to avoid getting a beatdown from the DM with his hand DMG