PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Sorcerer questions

Kiyona
2010-03-25, 06:30 AM
Hello all,

Just two quick questions on the 4e sorcerer.

First, due to fluff, she is a multiclass ranger, and has powerswapped her lvl5 daily for spitting cobra stance. Wich is very nice. :smallcool:
But, does it count against wild spellfury? Since I use my at-wills as ranged basics (acid orb for instance), does that mean that every time I hit with spitting cobra I can do extra damage to any adjacent enemies? I have asked DM, and he wasnt sure. So I figured I would ask you guys. ^^

Second, the spark form power.
I am a bit unsure on the wording. Can I attack all creatures I shift through, but only once/creature. Or can I attack only once, period?
What do you think?

"During the shift you can move through enemies spaces. When you leave a creatures space, make the following attack against that creature. Whenever you use this power you can make the attack against a creature only once"

tcrudisi
2010-03-25, 06:38 AM
Second, the spark form power.
I am a bit unsure on the wording. Can I attack all creatures I shift through, but only once/creature. Or can I attack only once, period?
What do you think?

"During the shift you can move through enemies spaces. When you leave a creatures space, make the following attack against that creature. Whenever you use this power you can make the attack against a creature only once"

Since I'm away from book, I'll answer the one I know 100% for sure, and that's the second question.

If you get to shift 8 times, then you could theoretically make 7 attacks -- one per monster that you leave his space. (You can't end in a space an enemy is standing in). However, if you move through monster A's space twice, you only get to attack him once. If you move through monster A, B, and C's space, you get one attack against each.

Does that help?

*edit* I cheated and opened up the compendium.

To answer your first question: Yes, with that combination you would do Dex-mod damage to all adjacent enemies. Be forewarned that they will get to make an opportunity attack against you if you use a ranged attack in melee (and since you are damaging adjacent enemies, they are in melee range).

Also, they did errata/nerf Spitting Cobra Stance. It now functions as an immediate reaction rather than an Opportunity Action. Just a fyi...

Optimystik
2010-03-25, 06:39 AM
Regarding the second, it seems to me to be "once per creature" rather than "once per use."

Kurald Galain
2010-03-25, 07:13 AM
To answer your first question: Yes, with that combination you would do Dex-mod damage to all adjacent enemies. Be forewarned that they will get to make an opportunity attack against you if you use a ranged attack in melee (and since you are damaging adjacent enemies, they are in melee range).
Note also that creatures cannot take opportunity attacks during their own turn.

Regarding your second question, yes, you attack each creature you move through. That's why it says "attack a creature only once" instead of "attack only one creature". It would be a really bad power otherwise.

Kiyona
2010-03-25, 07:26 AM

Also, they did errata/nerf Spitting Cobra Stance. It now functions as an immediate reaction rather than an Opportunity Action. Just a fyi...

Oh, I forgot about opportunity attacks, not as good as I thought, but still nice to know. ^^

Hm, what's the difference between an OA and an immediate reaction?

Thank you all for the fast answers, you helped a lot! :smallbiggrin:

Kurald Galain
2010-03-25, 07:34 AM
You get one immediate action per round, and one OA for each enemy's turn.

tcrudisi
2010-03-25, 07:36 AM
Oh, I forgot about opportunity attacks, not as good as I thought, but still nice to know. ^^

Thank you all for the fast answers, you helped a lot! :smallbiggrin:

You can take an infinite number of OA's a round, although only one per another combatant's turn (so if you had 100 monsters that moved within range and the old cobra stance, you could make 1 attack against each).

You can only take one immediate action per round (this includes both reaction and interrupt) and you can not take an immediate action during your own turn. (So if you had 100 monsters that moved within range and you are using the nerfed/errata'ed cobra stance, you can make only 1 attack total.)

As such, the old reading was flat-out broken and the new reading is far more reasonable (and therefore less useful... sorry).

Kiyona
2010-03-25, 07:36 AM
Oh, wow. That's a big nerf...

Maybe I'll keep my sorc lvl 5 then. She will still be a ranger though, but I dont think that there are any more good ranger powers to swap with.

Thanks for your help guys. :smallsmile:

tcrudisi
2010-03-25, 07:41 AM
Oh, wow. That's a big nerf...

Maybe I'll keep my sorc lvl 5 then. She will still be a ranger though, but I dont think that there are any more good ranger powers to swap with.

Thanks for your help guys. :smallsmile:

In my opinion, Thunder Leap and Sun's Illumination are the two best Sorcerer powers. If your combats tend to run 5+ combats long, I would say that Spitting Cobra Stance is (typically) better than those options, as in a 5 round fight, that is 5 free attacks. The real question, to me, is if the difference is also worth a feat. Since you are already a Ranger, I think it is, but it's something I would retrain out of in Paragon tier.

Although Thunder Leap is completely and totally awesome.

Kiyona
2010-03-25, 07:47 AM
Hehe, yeah I had thunder leap at first. It is very much awesome. ^^
I think I will keep it since it is so much more fun. I took the spitting cobra mostly cause we dont have a controler in the group and I thought it would be good with some extra minion killing. Since it will only let my kill one minion per round I'll keep thunder leap.

Ill keep ranger though, for fluff and skills mostly. I'll scavange the books for ranger powers that could be fun, though I dont think are any.