PDA

View Full Version : Nightcloak [3.5]

Optimystik
2010-03-25, 06:36 AM
The Nightcloak (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040522a) is a 10/10 casting divine PrC from the CDiv web enhancement. It seems a bit all over the place.- the entry requirements seem Bardic (Perform, Bluff, Hide/MS) but they are low enough to take cross class and still qualify early on. None of its class features really help a Bard, or advance their music.

I was going to write this one off, 10/10 casting or not, but then I saw that they get Int to saves. Could this be a decent choice for an Archivist? Has anyone tried it?

Wings of Peace
2010-03-25, 06:39 AM
Archivist springs to mind yes. Early entry might involve South Magician/Alternate Source Spell to qualify for some Precocious Apprentice + Sanctum Spell hijinx.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-03-25, 06:41 AM
I'd never seen that one before. The Save boost would be cool for an Archivist, but I'm not certain it would be worth the feat investment.

Optimystik
2010-03-25, 06:52 AM
I was thinking a Factotum dip at level 1 - nabbing all the required skills as class skills, getting a metric ton of skill points, as well as Cunning Insight and Trapfinding. But I'm not sure if the lost CL is worth what I get. Sure I'd have Int to saves (twice to one of them, with Cunning Inisght) but the other class features seem lackluster. Is there some kind of combination or benefit I'm not seeing?

Or if I go pure Archivist, I can take the ranks in Bluff, Perform and the Stealth skills cross-class. Is there a way to make them class skills (or at least cost less ranks) without a level dip?

Cyclocone
2010-03-25, 06:52 AM
Do note that it advances any type of casting class; with full casting, d8 HD, two good saves, INT to saves etc., it's relatively decent for a Wizard (who used Southern Magician to qualify as having 3rd level divine spells).

That being said, considering the rather steep pre-reqs vs. the so-so class abilities, it's still not really worth it for anyone -at least compared to taking another PrC that gives you something worth-while before 7th level.

Anyway, it's not terrible for an archivist, though I'd still rather have Dark Knowledge.

Private-Prinny
2010-03-25, 07:14 AM
Or if I go pure Archivist, I can take the ranks in Bluff, Perform and the Stealth skills cross-class. Is there a way to make them class skills (or at least cost less ranks) without a level dip?

You could nab Able Learner if you're human. Of course, that requires a feat slot.

Eldariel
2010-03-25, 08:46 AM
It's usually ignored due to not being worth the feats you need to enter. Much the same as e.g. Blood Magus.