PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Artificer Homunculus

Kilmrak
2010-03-25, 08:12 AM
I am going to take improved homunculus and I am planning on making a Iron Defender from eberon campaign setting but advance it to 9HD. I need help picking skills and feats for it. I would like it if they were more front-line attacker oriented because most of our group is either squishy or ranged based.
Thank you in advance

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-25, 08:27 AM
How about Improved initiative, Improved Trip and power attack?

Flyby attack too if you give it wings, or the feats that boost saves in case of spells?

As for skills, Ijatsu focus (Spelling on that?), tumble, balance, bluff and anything else that are useful in combat.

Kilmrak
2010-03-25, 08:44 AM
I like the imp. Initiative and the power attack but what is Ijutsu focus?

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-25, 08:49 AM
My bad. That should read as Iaijutsu Focus. It is a skill that adds damage. Not sure if a homunculus can use it, but I'm sure someone else here can help you find some way to pull it off. It is in Oriental Adventures, and I think maybe another book or two.

Eldariel
2010-03-25, 08:57 AM
Only OA, requires opponent flat-footed and drawing a weapon followed by an immediate attack. Ever watched a samurai movie? Like that. Not very practical for an Iron Defender given it usually fights with natural weapons and all.

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-25, 09:02 AM
Only OA, requires opponent flat-footed and drawing a weapon followed by an immediate attack. Ever watched a samurai movie? Like that. Not very practical for an Iron Defender given it usually fights with natural weapons and all.

Oh man! Metal Dog vs. Samurai! This movie, I must make!

I wonder if Sonny Chiba still acts. He'd make the perfect Metal Dog.

PinkysBrain
2010-03-25, 09:20 AM
Without polymorph type spells the iron defender is always going to be a small yippy dog ... not terribly intimidating.

Do you have MM2 or MM3? Some of the golems in the same price range to create make better bruisers than the Iron Defender.

Kilmrak
2010-03-25, 09:27 AM
Golem sounds good but I need to be at least 10th level for most of them so till then I think the metal dogs are my best bet.

PinkysBrain
2010-03-25, 09:32 AM
Gloom Golem in MM3 is CL11, so can be done at level 9.

Of course there are effigies from complete arcane as well, bit broken though.

Kilmrak
2010-03-25, 09:57 AM
I should have said this earlier but I am 3rd lvl so that is still a ways off. I forgot about the effigies though, I will look into that.

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-25, 10:06 AM
Gloom Golem in MM3 is CL11, so can be done at level 9.

Of course there are effigies from complete arcane as well, bit broken though.

Also not intelligent. A well maintained Iron Defender makes a decent second line combatant (as in, it isn't a tank so don't try to use it as one). They work well with rouge rogue theives and anyone else in need of flanking. They are cheaper and advance better than most golems. You can make them much sooner, and without burning up a feat for Craft Construct.