PDA

View Full Version : Smokestick

jpreem
2010-03-25, 09:50 AM
Smokestick

This alchemically treated wooden stick instantly creates thick, opaque smoke when ignited. The smoke fills a 10-foot cube (treat the effect as a fog cloud spell, except that a moderate or stronger wind dissipates the smoke in 1 round). The stick is consumed after 1 round, and the smoke dissipates naturally.

I cant understand this last line - dissipates naturally -yes but how long time will it take to dissipate? Do they mean that a smokesticks smoke last for one round and after that the smoke is gone - naturally :smallconfused:
Or do they mean it dissipates naturally - as for naturally for a fog cloud. ( treat the effect as a smoke cloud spell)

Smoke cloud spell last for 10min level and well the stick does not have any levels :D
So i guess that means the using of smokestick looks like this - your round you use your action to ignite the smokestick. Everybody makes their moves, the round is over fog dissipates you make your new turn.
OR will it be so that you can make your next turn also inside the fog and then it dissipates?

I hope to see some answers - i like skillsy/sneaky types of characters and would really like to use some of these nice mundane/alchemical thingies :D

Ranos
2010-03-25, 09:56 AM
In years of play, I don't think I've ever come upon an answer to that one. We just have it last for 10 minutes in my game, but if you're looking for an actual RAW quote...Well, I think you're out of luck.

jpreem
2010-03-25, 10:03 AM
I really hope for it to last 10 minutes :D

More bang for the buck. Also this 1 or 2 rounds of smoke would limit its usefulness HARD.

Got to convince my DM. If I DM myself i think im going to stick for 10 min ( minus of course the mentioned wind effects)

Tiki Snakes
2010-03-25, 10:08 AM
I'd say that how long it takes to dissapate depends on where you are, and what the conditions are. I could see it lasting 10 minutes in an enclosed room with no draft. Outside, even without a moderate wind, it's not going to last nearly that long.

Personally, I'd say that it really becomes a duration of 'whatever the dm decides is reasonable given the enviromental considerations, with a minimum of 1 round and a maximum of 10 minutes.'

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-25, 10:42 AM
We do in a no wind situation 1 + 1d4 rounds.

I don't knwo where we got the 1d4 from but my and my local gms have been doing that for years with no complaints.