PDA

View Full Version : Disciple of Asmodeus redux (PEACH please)

Sir_Chivalry
2010-03-25, 11:32 AM
And so we come to the end of my work! Or is it the beginning? Who knows? Part eight of my eight part disciple project. I thought I'd try something different with the disciple of Asmodeus, and so I went for an evil caster who can use exalted spells, in the vein of Asmodeus having been a celestial before his fall. Still in need to a capstone for the whole thing, probably going to be something to do with enchantment, the class could use a little more of that. And now it's more of a debuffer. Shows you how fast a character changes eh?

Requirements

To qualify to become a disciple of Asmodeus, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Alignment: Lawful evil.
Skills: Bluff 4 ranks, Diplomacy 5 ranks, Sense Motive 4 ranks
Feats: Brand of the Nine Hells (Asmodeus), Dark Speech, Leadership
Special: Must sacrifice someone of royal blood or political significance.

Disciple of Asmodeus
hit dice: d6
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2| Learn secret 1/week, ruby curse 1/day|+1 level of existing class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3| Inspire fear -1, mark of Nessus|-

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3| Learn secret 2/week, loyalty rewarded I |+1 level of existing class

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Inspire fear -2, pursuing master|-

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4| Learn secret 3/week, ruby curse 2/day |+1 level of existing class

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5|Evil authority, inspire fear -3, loyalty rewarded II|-

7th|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+5| Dark favour, learn secret 4/week|+1 level of existing class

8th|
+6|
+2|
+2|
+6|Inspire fear -4, tyrannical master|-

9th|
+6|
+3|
+3|
+6| Learn secret 1/day, loyalty rewarded III |+1 level of existing class

10th|
+7|
+3|
+3|
+7|Inspire fear -5, reverie of nessus, ruby curse 3/day|+1 level of existing class [/table]

Class Skills

The disciple of Asmodeus’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (any) (Int), Listen (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis) and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Learn Secret: Through trickery, deceit, and sometimes even intimidation, a disciple of Asmodeus can learn secrets otherwise unattainable. At 1st level, the disciple can make a Gather Information check once per week with a +10 competency bonus. For every two levels beyond 1st level, the disciple of Asmodeus can use this ability one more time per week (twice at 3rd level, three times at 5th level, and so on) until 9th level, when the disciple of Asmodeus can use the ability once per day.

Ruby Curse: A visible opponent within 60 feet of a disciple of Asmodeus can be targeted with a curse as a Free Action. The opponent receives a –2 penalty on attacks, damage, saves, ability checks, & skill checks for one hour (WillNeg DC = 10 + disciple of Asmodeus's class level + Cha modifier). Multiple curses do not stack and an opponent that successfully saves cannot be targeted again by this ability for 24 hours. The effect is ended by anything that removes or dispels curses. This ability counts as a hexblade's curse for the purpose of qualifying for feats and prestige classes. The disciple can use this ability once per day at 1st level, and gains an additional use at 5th and 10th level.

Inspire Fear: Any creature attempting to attack a 2nd level disciple of Asmodeus or target him with a skill takes a -1 morale penalty on the attack roll or skill check. The disciple can choose to not have this ability apply to any given roll or check if he chooses, such as if he wishes to gain the effects of the Heal skill. This ability ceases to function when the disciple is unconscious. The penalty bestowed increases at 4th, 6th, 8th and 10th level.

Mark of Nessus: Few have the resolve to attack a 2nd level disciple of Asmodeus directly. Whenever a creature would attack you, target you with a spell or use a spell-like ability or supernatural ability against you, it must first succeed on a Will save (DC 10+disciple of Asmodeus’ class level+Cha modifier). If it fails, it must select another target or take another action. Once an opponent succeeds on the Will save, he cannot be affected by the Mark of Nessus for 24 hours.

In addition, once per round as a swift action, you can infuse a single natural attack with hellfire, dealing an extra 1d6 points of damage.

Loyalty Rewarded I: All lackeys, minions (see Exemplars of Evil, but for all intent and purposes it's anybody under the disciple in his cult) followers and cohorts under the command of a 3rd level disciple of Asmodeus are immune to fear effects and intimidate checks from creatures of lower HD than the disciple of Asmodeus' class level+his ranks in Intimidate.

Pursuing Master: A disciple of Asmodeus directs his allies to cut down those who flee. All allies within 30 feet of a 4th level disciple of Asmodeus deal an extra 1d6 points of damage against foes who are frightened or panicked. This is considered a morale bonus.

Evil Authority: Once per day, at the command of a disciple of Asmodeus of 6th level or higher, all evil-aligned creatures within 50 feet that have fewer Hit Dice than the disciple must succeed at a Will saving throw (DC 10 + disciple’s class level + disciple’s Cha bonus) or recognize the disciple as their superior. Affected creatures do not attack the disciple of Asmodeus and do as he commands as though affected by a mass suggestion spell. This mind-affecting ability lasts for 24 hours.

Loyalty Rewarded II: If a 6th level disciple of Asmodeus fails a save against a spell that give him a negative status effect (i.e. paralysis, panicked, nauseated) he can elect to have one of his lackeys or followers within 60 feet be affected by the status effect instead of him. Any other effects, either damage or positive status effects, remain with the disciple. The disciple can use this ability a number of times per day equal to his Cha modifier.

Dark Favour: A 7th level disciple of Asmodeus gains a pool of "pact" points equal to half his class level, which refresh each day. The disciple may spend one point to gain one of the following effects:

-Ignore the ability damage from one use of Dark Speech, Filthy Outburst or Dark Whispers

-Sacrifice a learn secret use per day to gain the effects of a contact other planes spell

-gain the effect of a tongues spell for 1 day.

Tyrannical Master: A disciple of Asmodeus' allies are more afraid of him than they are of the enemy. All allies within 30 feet of an 8th level disciple of Asmodeus gain a +5 morale bonus on saves against fear and opposed level checks against Intimidate, but become panicked if they fail a such a save or check.

Loyalty Rewarded III: A 9th level disciple of Asmodeus can grant his minions and cohorts the dread power of their lord. Once per day, a disciple of Asmodeus can grant the Mark of Nessus as a bonus feat to a minion, cohort, follower or lackey within 10 feet as a 10 minute ritual. He can affect multiple targets at the same time (maximum equal to his Cha modifier) as long as they are all within 10 feet of the disciple of Asmodeus and can hear and understand him. This effect lasts for 24 hours.

Reverie of Nessus: Once per day as a standard action, a 10th level disciple of Asmodeus can incase himself in a globe of invulnerability/otiluke's resilient sphere that excludes up to 6th level spells and spell-like abilities, though he is unable to move or take any actions while the globe remains. The globe lasts for 3 rounds. On the first round the disciple is cleansed of all unwanted enchantments. On the second round the disciple is purged of any diseases and poisons. On the third round the disciple gains the benefits of a heal (or harm if undead) spell as if cast by a caster of his character level.

Don't avoid this class! Target it directly!

Mulletmanalive
2010-03-25, 07:03 PM
Ok, before i start, here's how the links work:

Name of thing (wherever it goes)

Now it's not a lucky dip as to which class you're looking at [shame to waste it].

I'm not really feeling the Exalted spells thing. Asmodeus turned his back on all that was good in the process that was his fall so, while i understand the logic, it still doesn't feel right. Also, he used to be an Acheron, so the rain of flowers spells don't fit.

I don't like the idea that this is a casting class. Far too many classes make this presupposition for no real benefit and it's actually contrary to the way you painted the average spellcaster as paranoid/reclusive previously: the original allowed both and was better for it. I'd say return to that and go back to a theme of crushing authority and tyranny rather than "I'm a doom caster! Fear me, other evil people."

The StarWars Inspire Fear ability simply applies a Morale penalty to all attacks and checks directed at the character [in a -1, -2, -5 stack in the case of the class progression].

It would also have the effect of making the Mark of Nessus more efficient as a defence.

It seems a shame to avoid the authority and disregard for his underlings that Asmodeus is all about as a core feature of the class. You could have a bunch of abilities such as Command Auras, Minion boosts and/or the ability to have devils as minions. There's no ability to shunt effects from himself to an adjacent minion, no ability to grant a little of his authority to an agent [basically in the form of a Mark of Nessus for a while], heck, not even the ability to render his minions fearless because they're more afraid of him than anything else...

Sir_Chivalry
2010-03-25, 08:56 PM
Ok, before i start, here's how the links work:

Name of thing (wherever it goes)

Now it's not a lucky dip as to which class you're looking at [shame to waste it].

I'm not really feeling the Exalted spells thing. Asmodeus turned his back on all that was good in the process that was his fall so, while i understand the logic, it still doesn't feel right. Also, he used to be an Acheron, so the rain of flowers spells don't fit.

I don't like the idea that this is a casting class. Far too many classes make this presupposition for no real benefit and it's actually contrary to the way you painted the average spellcaster as paranoid/reclusive previously: the original allowed both and was better for it. I'd say return to that and go back to a theme of crushing authority and tyranny rather than "I'm a doom caster! Fear me, other evil people."

The StarWars Inspire Fear ability simply applies a Morale penalty to all attacks and checks directed at the character [in a -1, -2, -5 stack in the case of the class progression].

It would also have the effect of making the Mark of Nessus more efficient as a defence.

It seems a shame to avoid the authority and disregard for his underlings that Asmodeus is all about as a core feature of the class. You could have a bunch of abilities such as Command Auras, Minion boosts and/or the ability to have devils as minions. There's no ability to shunt effects from himself to an adjacent minion, no ability to grant a little of his authority to an agent [basically in the form of a Mark of Nessus for a while], heck, not even the ability to render his minions fearless because they're more afraid of him than anything else...

I'm going to try to edit it to go for this sort of stuff

Sir_Chivalry
2010-03-25, 11:10 PM
New plan. I know you said that the class was better if it was optional to be a spellcaster, but what about making the class work well for a multiclass combo I've always found is really flavourful. . . warlock/hexbalde!!! Yay!

Yes?

No?

Maybe?

Taco?

Temotei
2010-03-26, 12:28 AM
Enchiladas are good. :smalltongue:

Mulletmanalive
2010-03-26, 03:45 AM
New plan. I know you said that the class was better if it was optional to be a spellcaster, but what about making the class work well for a multiclass combo I've always found is really flavourful. . . warlock/hexbalde!!! Yay!

I'd probably use that for something else. A theuge class is usually a way of combat, while the disciple classes are ideally meant to be accessible by multiple routes [Glasya, Dispater and Bell were pretty accepting.

If you want it to have a given set of powers, make the access requirements greater and actually put the powers into the class itself.

Also, someone posted a theuge class for that combo in the Hexblades homebrew handbook. It's alright, though i'm not clear where it's going...It certainly covers all the bases though...

Sir_Chivalry
2010-03-26, 03:45 PM
Okay! So the exalted thing just went out the window, but I am really happy with this class now. Went with the debuffing core of what I wanted from a hexblade sort of class, then gave it commander auras as class features at 4th and 8th. The capstone is a weakened reverie of nessus from the Ruby Rod itself (supergreen!).

I like it. Do you?:smallconfused:

Mulletmanalive
2010-03-26, 04:22 PM
I approve. This guy is large and in charge.

I might just replace the healing effect on the capstone to a Heal spell as it's more useful to the character and feels appropriate for the level in question.

Another option would be to allow the healing of 2d6 damage per HD of the subordinate sacrificed.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-03-26, 04:23 PM
I approve. This guy is large and in charge.

I might just replace the healing effect on the capstone to a Heal spell as it's more useful to the character and feels appropriate for the level in question.

Another option would be to allow the healing of 2d6 damage per HD of the subordinate sacrificed.

Actually, the healing IS a heal spell, but the other things sort of make it moot. I'll just write heal spell though.

Mulletmanalive
2010-03-26, 05:04 PM
oh, i see, it's spread over 3 rounds...