PDA

View Full Version : Scion of the Mirror (3.5 Prestige Class) PEACH

Forever Curious
2010-03-25, 12:05 PM
Hey all. I decided to try my hand at a prestige class, and here it is.

Scion of the Mirror
"Mirror, mirror on the wall...oh wait, that's a wizard." Grark, a fighter upon witnessing a Scion of the Mirror

Game Rule Information

Requirements
-Able to cast 2nd level spells
-Spellcraft 13 ranks

Hit Die: d4

Class Skills:
The Scion of the Mirror’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: (2+Int Mod)

Scion of the Mirror
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Through the Looking Glass (Scry), Mirror Sheen|

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Glass Skin|+1 spellcasting level

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Through the Looking Glass (Teleport)|+1 spellcasting level

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Improved Glass Skin, Mirror’s Misfortune|+1 spellcasting level

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Aspect of the Mirror, Through the Looking Glass (Spells)|[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Scion on the Mirror gains no proficiencies.

Through the Looking Glass (Ex): A Scion of the Mirror can attune himself to mirrors and magically influence them. Starting a first level, a Scion of the Mirror can use Clairaudience/Clairvoyance as a spell-like ability, except that you gain both visual and auditory input and the sensor must occupy the same square as a mirror. This ability has no maximum range. At third level, he can instantly teleport to any location with a mirror, even across planes, arriving in a square adjacent to the mirror. At fifth level, he can cast spells through mirrors, treating the square the mirror is located as the point the spell is cast from.

A Scion of the Mirror must possess a mirror of any size to use these abilities and can use each of these abilities once per day per class level. For the purposes of these abilities, a "mirror" can be any manufactured glass reflective surface. In addition, he must have a general idea of the mirror's location (including the building it's located, the person who possesses it, or even something as vague as "a mirror 100 miles west of this location) and must concentrate on that area. If the location desired is not a specific mirror, a random mirror in that area becomes the location.

Mirror Sheen (Sp): A Scion of the Mirror gains abilities to reflect his reflective nature. He can use Greater Mirror Image as a spell-like ability usable three times a day.

Glass Skin (Ex): At second level, a Scion of the Mirror’s appearance reflects that of a mirror. His skin becomes covered in a glass coating, granting his damage reduction 5/bludgeoning and a +3 deflection bonus to his AC against rays, which stacks with other deflection bonuses. However, this also causes him to reflect light around him, imposing a -5 penalty on Hide checks unless he is in total darkness.

Improved Glass Skin (Ex): At fourth level, the Scion of the Mirror’s damage reduction improves to 10/bludgeoning and his AC bonus against rays to +6. In addition, he gains immunity to gaze attacks.

Mirror’s Misfortune (Ex): Break a mirror, earn seven years bad luck. Whenever an enemy succeeds on damaging a Scion of the Mirror with a melee or ranged attack, the attacker makes a Will save with a DC equal to 10 + the Scion’s class level + his primary casting ability. If the attacker fails, he takes a -2 Luck penalty to all attack rolls, saves, skill checks and weapon damage rolls which stacks with other Luck penalties/bonuses. This effect has a duration of seven years, but can be removed with a Break Enchantment, Limited Wish, Wish, and Miracle.

Aspect of the Mirror (Ex): At fifth level, a Scion of the Mirror as reached the pinnacle of his abilities. Whenever he is target by a spell he can make an opposed caster level check. If he succeeds, the spell it turned as Spell Turning. Also, whenever he would be hit by a ranged attack (including a gaze attack), he can reflect it back at the attacker, using the attacker’s attack bonus.

Merk
2010-03-25, 12:39 PM
What's the HD of this class?

I like the abilities. Two lost caster levels hurt, but in return this class gets some great defenses and utility with mirrors. I think this might be better for a gish than a full spellcaster, who wouldn't as much mind the lost caster levels and would definitely like the DR, spell and arrow reflection.

Realms of Chaos
2010-03-25, 06:45 PM
Hey all. I decided to try my hand at a prestige class, and here it is.

Okay, let's see how you do with this new medium. :smallsmile:

Scion of the Mirror
"Mirror, mirror on the wall...oh wait, that's a wizard." Grark, a fighter upon witnessing a Scion of the Mirror

Awesome. I've only ever seen one other mirror-based casting class in my time playing DnD and it was made by Monte Cook himself. Let's see how your class stacks up.
Oh... and no pressure. :smalltongue:

Game Rule Information

Requirements
-Spellcraft 13 ranks
-Must have traveled through a mirror plane (see Manual of the Planes)

Okay, I notice two things right off the bat. First of all, very few campaigns will be able to use this class as the mirror plane is an optional addition to the traditional great wheel cosmology.
Secondly, that hard to meet prerequisite is one of the few that makes this class feel truly prestigious... or at least rare. I'd suggest adding some more flavor text as this class is just begging to have its flavor expounded upon.

Hit Die: d4

Class Skills:
The Scion of the Mirror’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: (2+Int Mod)

No real problems here. Moving on.

Scion of the Mirror
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Through the Looking Glass (Scry), Mirror Sheen|

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Glass Skin|+1 spellcasting level

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Through the Looking Glass (Teleport)|+1 spellcasting level

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Improved Glass Skin, Mirror’s Misfortune|+1 spellcasting level

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Aspect of the Mirror, Through the Looking Glass (Spells)|[/table]

As said by a previous poster, losing caster levels hurt a caster (even though you need not be a full caster to qualify). We'll see if the abilities make up for this soon enough.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Scion on the Mirror gains no proficiencies.

Through the Looking Glass (Ex): A Scion of the Mirror can attune himself to mirrors and magically influence them. Starting a first level, a Scion of the Mirror can use Scry as a spell-like ability, but can only use it to view areas with mirrors in them. At third level, he can instantly teleport to any location with a mirror, even across planes. At fifth level, he can cast spells through mirrors, targeting any location he could scry. A Scion of the Mirror must possess a mirror of any size to use these abilities and can use each of these abilities once per day per class level.

No problem with proficiencies.

Through the Looking Glass is fairly clear in what it's intended to do but the actual wording mucks it up a bit.
First of all, the Scry spell lets you spy on a creature and only on a creature (and it grants a Will save). If this was your intention, perhaps change the wording so that "but you can only scry creatures who possess a line of sight with a mirror".
Alternately, if it was your intention to let this class "bug" any mirror it wants at any given time, perhaps you should change the wording to instead read: "Starting a first level, a Scion of the Mirror can use Clairaudience/Clairvoyance as a spell-like ability, except that you gain both visual and auditory input and the sensor must occupy the same square as a mirror. This ability has no maximum range."
Also, what exactly do you mean when you say things like area with a mirror or location with a mirror. If an evil castle has a mirror in it somewhere, does the castle count as an area with a mirror? Did you perhaps intend the teleportation to make you arive in a square adjacent to a mirror?
Also, the last ability needs to be slightly reworded as thus: "At fifth level, he can cast spells through mirrors, targeting any location he could scry using this ability." Even then, however, the word "targeting" messes stuff up. What if you want to cast an effect spell (like summon monster I) or an area spell (like fireball). Wouldn't it be best to say: "At fifth level, he can cast spells through mirrors, effectively occupying any square with a mirror for the purpose of determining range."

There are two things that kind of bug me about this entire ability:
1. Does this guy need to know that a mirror is there? Do you simply try teleporting/scrying/spellcasting somewhere and pray that a mirror is there? Do you need to know what mirror you are casting through? What happens when you try scrying/teleporting/casting into an area but there is no mirror (do you waste a daily use)? In short, this guy has no real ability to know where his abilities will function other than through guesswork.
2. What qualifies as a mirror? Just the small steel mirrors adventurers use and vanity mirrors used by royalty? How about the sheen of a well-polished weapon? The reflective surface of a calm lake? I'm concerned that actual mirrors may be a bit rare in the default medieval setting of DnD.

Mirror Sheen (Su): A Scion of the Mirror gains abilities to reflect his reflective nature. He can use Greater Mirror Image as a spell-like ability usable three times a day.

Nice, I suppose. Unless your opponent has true seeing, this is a very good defense to have (not to mention flavorful).

Glass Skin (Ex): At second level, a Scion of the Mirror’s appearance reflects that of a mirror. His skin becomes covered in a glass coating, granting his damage reduction 5/bludgeoning. However, this also causes him to reflect light around him, imposing a -5 penalty on Hide checks unless he is in total darkness.

This ability is interesting. On the one hand, a caster probably wouldn't let him or herself get into melee. On the other hand, this class need not be a full caster. On the third hand (yikes!), this ability is very flavorful.
In short, I like this ability pretty darn well. One more thing that I'd suggest is to grant a bonus to AC against rays (which are partially bounced by your skin) to make this ability more useful to full casters.

Improved Glass Skin (Ex): At fourth level, the Scion of the Mirror’s damage reduction improves to 10/bludgeoning.

If you take my advice with glass skin, increase the AC bonus. Also consider granting resistance (or immunity) to gaze attacks. Otherwise, very fine ability.

Mirror’s Misfortune (Ex): Break a mirror, earn seven years bad luck. Whenever an enemy succeeds on damaging a Scion of the Mirror with a melee or ranged attack, the attacker makes a Will save with a DC equal to 10 + the Scion’s class level + his primary casting ability. If the attacker fails, he takes a -2 Misfortune penalty to all attack rolls, saves, skill checks and weapon damage rolls. This effect has a permanent duration, but can be removed with a Break Enchantment, Limited Wish, Wish, and Miracle.

A very good (but not too powerful) ability. Although it is simply a nitpick, why not change the duration from permanent to seven years? It makes no real difference but seems to make more sense.

Aspect of the Mirror (Ex): At fifth level, a Scion of the Mirror as reached the pinnacle of his abilities. Whenever he is target by a spell he can make an opposed caster level check. If he succeeds, the spell it turned as Spell Turning. Also, whenever he would be hit by a ranged attack, he can reflect it back at the attacker, using the attacker’s attack bonus.

Hmm this is interesting. This class loses two caster levels and then gives you a capstone that relies on a caster level check.
Then again, practiced spellcaster exists for a reason so I guess that it's okay (and once again, incredibly flavorful).

Final Analysis:
I really like this class. I like how it was condensed into 5 levels with more (and more flavorful) abilities than Monte Cook's take on a mirror caster. It loses two caster levels but gains a series of abilities that gives tremendous utility and versatility.
The one thing that I'm kind of disappointed about is that the plane of mirrors (which needs to exist in order for this class to be used) isn't really referenced in this class. I expected you to rebuke/turn/summon nerras (Fiend Folio), destroy/enslave your mirror self (as described in manual of the planes), or at least to gain Mirror Walking (MotP) as an SLA.
That said, this is still a perfectly functional class and I'd have to say that it's something that I can imaging myself using.

EpicEvokerElf
2010-03-25, 06:59 PM
Definitely going to keep following this thread; I like this very much.
Realms of Chaos said just about everything, at the moment; I do wonder about the prerequisites (2nd-level spells, but you've got to be level 10 for 13 ranks Spellcraft), though. Make Mirror's Misfortune a Luck penalty; it already exists, and will alleviate some confusion. Other than that, very cool.

Forever Curious
2010-03-25, 07:05 PM
Okay, let's see how you do with this new medium. :smallsmile:

Awesome. I've only ever seen one other mirror-based casting class in my time playing DnD and it was made by Monte Cook himself. Let's see how your class stacks up.
Oh... and no pressure. :smalltongue:

Okay, I notice two things right off the bat. First of all, very few campaigns will be able to use this class as the mirror plane is an optional addition to the traditional great wheel cosmology.
Secondly, that hard to meet prerequisite is one of the few that makes this class feel truly prestigious... or at least rare. I'd suggest adding some more flavor text as this class is just begging to have its flavor expounded upon.
Yeah...about that. I originally had this idea to be a deflection caster (see Aspect of the Mirror ability). Then my friend mentioned the Plane of mirrors, and I'm like "Cool story, bro". Keep in mind I have no knowledge of the plane and don't own Manual of the Planes :smallredface: I'll change around the prerequisites to make it usable in any campaign.

No real problems here. Moving on.

As said by a previous poster, losing caster levels hurt a caster (even though you need not be a full caster to qualify). We'll see if the abilities make up for this soon enough.

No problem with proficiencies.

Through the Looking Glass is fairly clear in what it's intended to do but the actual wording mucks it up a bit.
First of all, the Scry spell lets you spy on a creature and only on a creature (and it grants a Will save). If this was your intention, perhaps change the wording so that "but you can only scry creatures who possess a line of sight with a mirror".
Alternately, if it was your intention to let this class "bug" any mirror it wants at any given time, perhaps you should change the wording to instead read: "Starting a first level, a Scion of the Mirror can use Clairaudience/Clairvoyance as a spell-like ability, except that you gain both visual and auditory input and the sensor must occupy the same square as a mirror. This ability has no maximum range."
That's pretty much what I wanted to do. Will change.

Also, what exactly do you mean when you say things like area with a mirror or location with a mirror. If an evil castle has a mirror in it somewhere, does the castle count as an area with a mirror? Did you perhaps intend the teleportation to make you arive in a square adjacent to a mirror?
The latter. Will specify.

Also, the last ability needs to be slightly reworded as thus: "At fifth level, he can cast spells through mirrors, targeting any location he could scry using this ability." Even then, however, the word "targeting" messes stuff up. What if you want to cast an effect spell (like summon monster I) or an area spell (like fireball). Wouldn't it be best to say: "At fifth level, he can cast spells through mirrors, effectively occupying any square with a mirror for the purpose of determining range."

There are two things that kind of bug me about this entire ability:
1. Does this guy need to know that a mirror is there? Do you simply try teleporting/scrying/spellcasting somewhere and pray that a mirror is there? Do you need to know what mirror you are casting through? What happens when you try scrying/teleporting/casting into an area but there is no mirror (do you waste a daily use)? In short, this guy has no real ability to know where his abilities will function other than through guesswork.
How about this: he needs to designate and have in mind at least a general are (such as 100 miles west of here, or as specific as Bob's house in Such and Such city) when he uses the ability.

2. What qualifies as a mirror? Just the small steel mirrors adventurers use and vanity mirrors used by royalty? How about the sheen of a well-polished weapon? The reflective surface of a calm lake? I'm concerned that actual mirrors may be a bit rare in the default medieval setting of DnD.
I was thinking of the first two, really. I suppose DM has the final ruling, though, but my intentions lie with actual mirrors. I also kind of forgot that about mirrors being rare...

Nice, I suppose. Unless your opponent has true seeing, this is a very good defense to have (not to mention flavorful).

This ability is interesting. On the one hand, a caster probably wouldn't let him or herself get into melee. On the other hand, this class need not be a full caster. On the third hand (yikes!), this ability is very flavorful.
In short, I like this ability pretty darn well. One more thing that I'd suggest is to grant a bonus to AC against rays (which are partially bounced by your skin) to make this ability more useful to full casters.
Hmm...+3 AC against rays too much?

If you take my advice with glass skin, increase the AC bonus. Also consider granting resistance (or immunity) to gaze attacks. Otherwise, very fine ability.
Thought that would be too powerful, but I likes it. +6 AC too much?

A very good (but not too powerful) ability. Although it is simply a nitpick, why not change the duration from permanent to seven years? It makes no real difference but seems to make more sense.
Because shut up :smalltongue: You're right, though.

Hmm this is interesting. This class loses two caster levels and then gives you a capstone that relies on a caster level check.
Then again, practiced spellcaster exists for a reason so I guess that it's okay (and once again, incredibly flavorful).

Final Analysis:
I really like this class. I like how it was condensed into 5 levels with more (and more flavorful) abilities than Monte Cook's take on a mirror caster. It loses two caster levels but gains a series of abilities that gives tremendous utility and versatility.
...so do I win homebrew yet? :smallbiggrin:

The one thing that I'm kind of disappointed about is that the plane of mirrors (which needs to exist in order for this class to be used) isn't really referenced in this class. I expected you to rebuke/turn/summon nerras (Fiend Folio), destroy/enslave your mirror self (as described in manual of the planes), or at least to gain Mirror Walking (MotP) as an SLA.
See the first thing I posted...:smallredface:

That said, this is still a perfectly functional class and I'd have to say that it's something that I can imaging myself using.
Yay! I'm flattered.

So yeah...just minor changes this time. I'm liking thins whole "prestige class" thing.

Temotei
2010-03-25, 07:11 PM
So yeah...just minor changes this time. I'm liking thins whole "prestige class" thing.

Next time you do it, you'll be expected to make something unique and cool. Better live up to that expectation! :smallwink:

Seriously, I like it. The lost caster levels are made up for (or at least nearly made up for) with flavorful and fairly powerful class features. :smallsmile:

Forever Curious
2010-03-25, 07:17 PM
Definitely going to keep following this thread; I like this very much.
Realms of Chaos said just about everything, at the moment; I do wonder about the prerequisites (2nd-level spells, but you've got to be level 10 for 13 ranks Spellcraft), though. Make Mirror's Misfortune a Luck penalty; it already exists, and will alleviate some confusion. Other than that, very cool.

But then it wouldn't stack with any other Luck penalty. Also, would that make it able to negate Luck bonuses, or are they kept separate (I'm not really sure)?

EpicEvokerElf
2010-03-25, 07:26 PM
Well, then say it stacks with all other luck bonuses/penalties. Making up a new class of bonus or penalty is a lot hairier, I'd guess; it's something that's only done when it applies in many circumstances. This is just bad luck, so it makes no sense to make it anything but a luck penalty in my mind.

Forever Curious
2010-03-25, 07:37 PM
Next time you do it, you'll be expected to make something unique and cool. Better live up to that expectation! :smallwink:

ACTUALLY, I'm already cooking up a Rouge-ish class based on this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgS5qCUk_L0) and this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6in6sHsNnc).

Zom B
2010-03-25, 08:30 PM

Minor, minor nitpick: The original line is "Magic mirror on the wall...", not "Mirror, mirror." Carry on, though.

Requirements
-Spellcraft 13 ranks

The requirements work, but they seem a little few. But like I said, they work. Conventions can be broken; they're not law.

Through the Looking Glass (Ex): [...] himself [...] you [...] he

Pronoun agreement. That "you" should be a "he." Also, it would help if you put things like "At 1st level" or "When the Scion of the Mirror reaches 2nd level". It allows a person to read the abilities a bit more clearly.

Mirror Sheen (Su): [...] Greater Mirror Image as a spell-like ability usable three times a day.

Is this a Supernatural or Spell-like ability? The name of the ability is followed by (Su) but you have that it is a spell-like ability. Also, what book is Greater Mirror Image from? Might want to mention that.

Glass Skin (Ex):

I'm not quite sure how being covered in glass protects you. If instead you said something like "The shimmering reflections covering the Scion make it difficult to pinpoint his exact location," I'd be more apt to believe that. Just a suggestion, though. Of course, that description makes it sound more like it should be a miss chance rather than damage reduction. Actually, miss chance might make more sense overall, but that's just opinion.

Aspect of the Mirror (Ex):

I understand the spell turning thing perfectly. However, have you looked at the Tarrasque's Carapace ability? This looks way better than that, and the carapace is oftentimes considered one of the bigger blocks to affecting the Big T. Also, this reflects any ranged attack, including arrows? I guess the slipperiness of the glass makes that make sense, in a kinda-sorta way.

EDIT: Also, it's rogue, not rouge. Unless you mean this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7967533&postcount=26).

Lappy9000
2010-03-26, 10:28 AM
First off, let me say "holy schnikies this is a cool class!" Great flavor, mechanics, and all-around coolness :smallcool:

One thing, though:

Glass Skin (Ex): At second level, a Scion of the Mirror’s appearance reflects that of a mirror. His skin becomes covered in a glass coating, granting his damage reduction 5/bludgeoning and a +3 Mirror bonus to his AC against rays. However, this also causes him to reflect light around him, imposing a -5 penalty on Hide checks unless he is in total darkness.Not sure if it's intentional, but adding in new modifiers can create some problems in game. Why not switch that to a Deflection bonus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#deflectionBonus) instead? Stacks with other types and still works versus touch attacks; seems to fit right in.

boomwolf
2010-03-26, 11:02 AM
Interesting indeed.

Well, first thing off the bat-this is a VERY good work for a first timer, much better then my own first creations (and some of the latter as well.)

Flavor is cool, abilities are unique enough and quite fun to play with.

3 things in this class nitpick me here.

1-the requirements are too plain. just 2nd level casting and 13 spellcraft means every 10th level spellcaster is going to apply. and partial casters too. make something up to make it less bland.

2-the flavor is a little too...well...little. add some more.

3-the power level of the last ability worries me. EVERY spell cast on you? I would reduce it in power. maybe to "every time you attempt a counterspell, if it succeed, the spell is considered to be effected by Spell Turning" and make the ranged thing a chance not to work as well. (immunity to ranged attacks+good chance at spell turning=nigh invincible while airborn. and fly spell is only level 3.)

Forever Curious
2010-03-26, 11:09 AM
Interesting indeed.

Well, first thing off the bat-this is a VERY good work for a first timer, much better then my own first creations (and some of the latter as well.)

Flavor is cool, abilities are unique enough and quite fun to play with.

3 things in this class nitpick me here.

1-the requirements are too plain. just 2nd level casting and 13 spellcraft means every 10th level spellcaster is going to apply. and partial casters too. make something up to make it less bland.

2-the flavor is a little too...well...little. add some more.

3-the power level of the last ability worries me. EVERY spell cast on you? I would reduce it in power. maybe to "every time you attempt a counterspell, if it succeed, the spell is considered to be effected by Spell Turning" and make the ranged thing a chance not to work as well. (immunity to ranged attacks+good chance at spell turning=nigh invincible while airborn. and fly spell is only level 3.)

1) I originally had a requirement involving the Plane of Mirrors from manual of the Planes, but thought it was too specific. Any suggestions?

2) Yeah...I tend to only post mechanics for my classes. Flavor comes after I fix every little kink.

3) Only spells that target you, meaning you can still be hit by Fireball and other area of effect spells. That's also why it requires a caster level check: with two lost caster levels, I thought this could work. As for ranged attacks...hmm, not sure if it's truly that powerful (see also, Protection From Arrows). But I'll see what other's have to say. Thanks for the imput.

"Mirror" bonuis changed to "deflection".