PDA

View Full Version : Favorite pie?

babeeroniea
2010-03-25, 01:32 PM
Whats your favorite pie??? I love pie. All types... I like. Either pot pie or peanut butter pie. :smallcool:

arguskos
2010-03-25, 01:34 PM
Pecan is good. French Silk (when I can find a good one) is among my favorites. Pot Pie, though kinda not really what I think of when I think "pie" is also pretty damn delicious.

babeeroniea
2010-03-25, 01:38 PM
I love pecan pie!! haha i havnt had french silk before. that sounds good.

Emlyn
2010-03-25, 02:11 PM
Give me a nice Raspberry pie and I will love you forever. Add some cream cheese and I will kill for it.

rayne_dragon
2010-03-25, 02:15 PM
Pumpkin pie is the best. Followed closely by berry, then apple.

Weird... I feel hungry now.

Vulkan
2010-03-25, 02:18 PM
Lemon Meringue

Zen Monkey
2010-03-25, 02:22 PM
Fort Knox Pie

Not widely known, a little tough to make and very decadent. Chocolate cookie crumb crust, bottom layer is a soft caramel and top is like a stiff chocolate pudding.

ScottishDragon
2010-03-25, 02:24 PM
Raspberry is and always will be my favorite,there is nothing else close to raspberry.

Can't even stomach chicken pot pie,no matter how it's made,store bought,home made,i've had many different recipes,all bad.

Thajocoth
2010-03-25, 02:33 PM
The best pie is Chocolate Pudding Pie. Oreo crust is preferable, but grahm cracker crust is acceptable. Whipped cream (aerosol) is a must.

The second place winner is the Pizza Pie. Plain Pizza Pie. Maybe a side of garlic knots, but no toppings on the pie itself.

There is no 3rd place pie. The above are the only two types of pie I eat.

Erloas
2010-03-25, 02:55 PM
I would have to go with Coconut Cream Pie, but Chocolate Cream Pie is close behind. I haven't yet tried mixing them, but I did mix banana and coconut fillings for a cream pie once. Although I think someone said they aren't really cream pies because it is more of a meringue topping, but its how my Grandma always made them and called them so thats what they are to me.

Syka
2010-03-25, 03:12 PM
Pumpkin pie, apple pie, cherry pie, cheesecake (technically a pie, I believe), lemon meringue, pecan....mmm pie.

I need pie now.

NOW!

(Actually, I could technically get myself a pie as a reward for getting a new job...)

Silly Wizard
2010-03-25, 04:55 PM
It's all about pot pie, even if it isn't like normal pies!

Shas aia Toriia
2010-03-25, 04:58 PM
Ooh, pie.
I love pie, all kinds. But not cherry.

Innis Cabal
2010-03-25, 05:03 PM
I see no Rhubarb pie here. And that saddens me.

Player_Zero
2010-03-25, 05:06 PM

Rhubarb is a controversial pie variety.

MethosH
2010-03-25, 05:07 PM
http://www.caltechgirlsworld.mu.nu/archives/images/potd_pi-pie.jpg

You saw it coming :smallbiggrin:

Mauve Shirt
2010-03-25, 05:09 PM
Pecan and apple are tied.

Ikialev
2010-03-25, 05:16 PM
Carrot pie.

Tirian
2010-03-25, 05:20 PM
I haven't gotten too bold with pies yet, but I like that I can make super-yummy banana cream, chocolate cream, and lemon meringue pies with only about a day's warning.

Also, uh, you guys know what isn't in pot pie, right? :smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2010-03-25, 05:25 PM

Mmmmmm... Rhubarb pie... *droool*

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-03-25, 06:02 PM
cheesecake (technically a pie, I believe),

Cheesecake is more of a custard. I believe it may be considered in the pie family based on the strict definition. but I really don't think of it as pie for the most part.

Carrot pie.
Are you referring to carrot cake by any chance? I don't know that carrot pie per se actually exists. Carrots are often in savory dishes like pot pies and shepard's pie (which really isn't pie at all, but definitely good). But as for a straight dessert based on carrots that would be considered a pie, I don't know of anything like that, that actually exists.

GrlumpTheElder
2010-03-25, 06:04 PM
Banoffee Pie, all the way

That, my friends, is the pie of the GODS!

I also like Steak and Kidney Pie, especially if it has thick gravy...

and pork pies are nice too.

cycoris
2010-03-25, 06:05 PM
Key lime pie. Blackberry pie. Cherry pie.

Jokasti
2010-03-25, 06:14 PM
Cheesecake Pie.

Wardog
2010-03-25, 06:16 PM
Steak and ale pie. (Or steak and Guinness).

Zocelot
2010-03-25, 07:09 PM
I like all kinds of pie, but rhubarb is tied with cherry as my favorite.

Thajocoth
2010-03-25, 08:21 PM
I'm seriously the only one who has Pizza Pie as a top tier pie?

Innis Cabal
2010-03-25, 08:24 PM
I'm seriously the only one who has Pizza Pie as a top tier pie?

Pizza isn't a pie.

the doomed one
2010-03-25, 08:31 PM
Dutch Apple, Apple Blackberry, blueberry, various other pies, but not Cherry can't stand cherry.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-03-25, 08:53 PM
French Silk Pie all the way!

Shas aia Toriia
2010-03-25, 08:53 PM
Rhubarb is a controversial pie variety.

Permission to leave the thread granted.
NOBODY makes fun of rhubarb! :smallmad:

Coidzor
2010-03-25, 08:57 PM

I think you're a bit confused there. It's that you never rub another man's rhubarb, actually.

Thajocoth
2010-03-25, 08:58 PM
Pizza isn't a pie.

Then why is it almost always referred to as a pie? Or is this simply a New York thing?

Innis Cabal
2010-03-25, 09:19 PM
Then why is it almost always referred to as a pie? Or is this simply a New York thing?

Its just slang, Pizza Pie is just a way of refering to it, even though its not technically a pie. Its more an American thing, then a New York thing. Cultural diffusion and all that. Pizza is actually a covered bread.

Watcher
2010-03-25, 09:29 PM
My favorite is pumpkin, then apple, then raspberry, then wherever my evil plots take me. I don't like pecan pie, though. I just can't find any good traits in it. :smallfrown:

Zevox
2010-03-25, 10:13 PM
Cheddar Cheese pie. And Chocolate Pudding pie.

Those are the only types of pie that need to exist as far as I'm concerned.

Zevox

Serpentine
2010-03-25, 10:32 PM
Pizza isn't a pie.What he said.
As far as I'm aware, the US is the only place in the entire world where the word "pie" is used in any relation to the word "pizza". We hatesss it, preciousss.

The best pie I ever had was a "roast lamb with mint sauce" pie, made by Sergents(sp?). Now, I don't really like mint at all, but this pie tasted exactly like a roast lamb dinner.
I only saw it for sale once ever :smallfrown:
Other than that... there's a pie shop in town called Ridgy Didge pies that are pretty great. I mostly like the ones with big chunky bits of meat, rather than mince. I have a soft spot for tomato steak pies, too.

Dunno if tarts count, but I have a brilliant recipe for a creme brulee tart that's just delicious, if extremely fiddly.

Dancing_Zephyr
2010-03-25, 10:39 PM
There's just something about pumpkin pie.

Coidzor
2010-03-25, 10:40 PM
What he said.
As far as I'm aware, the US is the only place in the entire world where the word "pie" is used in any relation to the word "pizza". We hatesss it, preciousss.

So you hate pizza or just the combination of words to form "pizza pie?"

Don't you guys call tarts or possibly tortes what we call pies anyway? With what you calling pies being more what we'd refer to as stuffed pastries along the lines of cannoli.

Serpentine
2010-03-25, 10:52 PM
Pizza is good (on a real pepperoni kick, lately). Pie is good. Pizza-pie is nonsense. Unless it's a pie with pizza filling, like maybe you could call a cheese tomato and bacon pie a pizza pie.

Tart:
http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/PTC/PTC001/baked-custard-tart_~002732.jpg

Torte:
http://img4.sunset.com/i/2009/01/chocolate-0109/chocolate-caramel-chocolate-torte-l.jpg

Meat pie:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2300/2273353117_0a4d65a96a.jpg

Fruit pie:
http://www.prescott-good-eats.com/image-files/berry-pie.jpg

Pot pie:
http://gotnomilk.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/chicken-pot-pie21.jpg

"stuffed pastry" (specifically a pasty):
http://www.christopherscakeshop.com.au/images/500/bread/Spinach%20Pasty_2.jpg

Cannoli? :confused:
http://leaveroomfordessert.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/cannelloni10.jpg

SilentNight
2010-03-25, 10:57 PM

Seconded. STRAWBERRY RHUBARB FTW!

Thajocoth
2010-03-25, 11:10 PM
Well then, the only pie I eat is Chocolate Pudding Pie. Which is, simply, chocolate pudding in a pie crust, served cold.

shadowxknight
2010-03-25, 11:12 PM
Chicken Pot Pie.
NOMNOMNOM

Serpentine
2010-03-25, 11:12 PM
That does sound pretty delicious (different definitions of "pudding" notwithstanding). I think I've come across something similar... A chocolate tart or something like that.

Tirian
2010-03-25, 11:16 PM
That's all a banana cream or coconut cream or lemon meringue pies are (without the meringue, of course). When I do it, I think that the filling is technically a custard, but it does come out in a pudding-like manner (from the American perspective of that word, at least).

ThreadKiller
2010-03-25, 11:20 PM
My current favorite is pumpkin pie with whipped cream (real dairy, not that cool whip junk)! Second place would have to be banana cream pie. :9

Gorgondantess
2010-03-25, 11:30 PM
PIE!

I've had a pie in place of a birthday cake since I was 12. Pie is delicious. Fresh cherry pies, delicious raspberry pies, blackberry pies my grandma makes right after picking them off the bush...
But best of all, rhubarb. Strawberry rhubarb, raspberry rhubarb, rhubarb rhubarb... they're all... so... so... good... *drools*

Innis Cabal
2010-03-25, 11:45 PM
PIE!

But best of all, rhubarb. Strawberry rhubarb, raspberry rhubarb, rhubarb rhubarb... they're all... so... so... good... *drools*

Finally some proper respect for the king of all pies.

What he said.

From what I understand, its not even an American thing, but a wholey East Cost US thing, your liable to be taken out back and smacked around for calling it a pie in the midwest.

ziratha
2010-03-26, 11:07 PM
I like key lime pie. Speaking of which, does anybody have any theories as to why my key lime pie filling won't set? I do not understand :smallconfused: .

Serpentine
2010-03-26, 11:12 PM
What's your recipe?

Anuan
2010-03-26, 11:27 PM
Meat pie. General beef and gravy, Australian meat pie. Nothing quite like it.

THough I'll admit I'm a fan of having them with cheese melted in them. And I like Australian mustard on them as much as tomato sauce. De-smegging-licious.

As for dessert pies... Oh god, so many. Apple pie, whilst a little cliche, is incredible. Apple and rhubarb is good, too. I'd really like to try cherry pie.

ziratha
2010-03-27, 09:08 AM
What's your recipe?

I have tried several recipes, but the gist of them are:

2-4 eggs,
can of condensed milk,
half cup of lime juice.

I even watched a video of some southern lady doing this recipe on youtube. After you mix the eggs, milk and juice it's supposed to thicken up enough that they apparently used to serve them without even cooking. I just get lemon, milk, juice soup. :smallfrown:

Serpentine
2010-03-27, 09:10 AM
You sure about the no-cooking thing? I'm pretty sure you're (normally) meant to whisk it over heat to get it to thicken...

ziratha
2010-03-27, 10:24 AM
During mixing, a reaction between the condensed milk and the acidic lime juice occurs which causes the filling to thicken on its own without requiring baking. Many early recipes for key lime pie did not instruct the cook to ever bake the pie, relying on this chemical reaction (called souring) to produce the proper consistency of the filling. Today, in the interest of safety due to consumption of raw eggs, pies of this nature are usually baked for a short time. The baking also thickens the texture more than the reaction alone.

Also from several independent recipes on google. So unless google has been corrupted by the anti lime conspiracy, ...

Nameless
2010-03-27, 10:27 AM
My favourite pastry pie is has to be chicken pie. My favourite potato based pie is either cottage pie, or fish pie.
However, I very much dislike desert pies. :smallyuk:

SilentNight
2010-03-27, 10:45 AM
From what I understand, its not even an American thing, but a wholey East Cost US thing, your liable to be taken out back and smacked around for calling it a pie in the midwest.

With the exception of Chicago I believe you're right. Although my dad grew up in the midwest, now lives in California, and he refers to good pizza as "good pie."

Winter_Wolf
2010-03-27, 11:14 AM
Cherry pie is hands down my favorite. Well, cherry (almost) anything is just good in my book. Pumpkin pie is a close second, then apple pie is a close third. All others are very distant and tied for "if that's all you've got".

That said, I recently had a grapefruit cheese cake which was very nice and refreshing, though maybe next time there will be a little less grapefruit zest in the mix!

Shades of Gray
2010-03-27, 11:29 AM
My favourite is the mathematical constant kind. π.

In all seriousness, nothing beats Chicken/Turkey pot pie. Or Tortière.