PDA

View Full Version : D&D 4e Weapon expertise?

Stormageddon
2010-03-25, 03:06 PM
So I'm new to 4e but I don't get what's so great about this feat. I see a lot of builds and handbooks online that highly sudgest strikers take this feat. It looks like a compacted weapon focus feat tree from 3.5, which is widely bashed on most forums. Can someone explain this?

Vitruviansquid
2010-03-25, 03:11 PM
Some people will tell you expertise was included in PHB2 in order to balance the fact that people had a very hard time hitting monsters. It was a "feat tax," if you will.

Personally, I just think universal applicability is the best kind of applicability.

nekomata2
2010-03-25, 03:14 PM
In 3.5, it was pointless, since any class that would likely take it could hit things already. But 4th edition is built around a 50% chance to hit, and so the +1 represents a larger increase in your ability to hit. Some people do claim it was designed to fix the scaling of attacks. Personally, I give it's bonuses to my players.

Stormageddon
2010-03-25, 03:34 PM
Ah! Thank you for your replies. Weapon expertise and weapon focus stack?

Douglas
2010-03-25, 03:39 PM
In 4e, Weapon Focus adds to damage, not attack rolls. Stacking is irrelevant because they don't apply to the same thing. You can use both at once, but they each add to a different roll.