PDA

View Full Version : Warlock - Feats, Items, and Invocations

golem1972
2010-03-26, 02:08 AM
I'm about to retire the character in my groups current campaign (basically, I've been playing in the deep end of the alignment pool and it's causing a little to much friction). We're not exactly a high CO group, so I've been playing down a little and covering the Healbot / Utility Caster / Blaster / BFC / Debuffer / Buffer slot.

Options for a new character have been running through my head:

Truenamer - even I'm not that much of a masochist. :(

Sorcadin - just using the standard suite of sorcerer spells, I realized I could solo the party. :(

Hellfire Warlock (sue me, we're a beer and pretzels group) - lower end of the CO scale, not to flexible either. Think I have a winner here. :)

So, basic build is Binder 1 / Warlock 2 (detect magic) / Anima Mage 5 (houseruled to work) / Uncanny Trickster 3 / Legacy Champion 6 / Hellfire Warlock 3 (not in exact order).

Exploit Vestige has been houseruled to give me an extra invocation when used, Vestige Metamagic has been houseruled to give one free use of a metamagic or meta spell-like.

Hellfire is 3 + 2 (UT) + 5 (LC) = 10 * 2d6 + EB 8d6 (Warlock 17).
Toss in the Chausuble for 30d6.

Feats needed: Improved Binding, one metamagic (or metaspell-like), and Least Legacy.

Feats wanted: Apprentice (considering a Fiend of Possession / Fiend of Corruption Cohort), Flyby Attack, Quicken SP, maybe Maximize / Empower SP?. Others?

Items needed: Legacy item. :( Truthfully these kinda suck, but I have been told it's possible to build a good one. Thinking about gauntlets that enhance my Blast. Not in the Eldritch Admixture way, more like in the guantlets are my bow, EB is my arrow kinda way..... If I can talk my DM into it, what would be good enhancements? Straight enhancement bonus is ok, but I won't have that much trouble hitting most RTA. Holy is out, I'll be a non-chaotic warlock. Adding +2d6 damages seems a waste. Splitting would be great, but maybe a little over the top (maybe a +4 or +5 cost?). Hmmm... still kind of a rough idea.

Chausuble, Horizon goggles, bracers of archery (+ rod of precision), belt of battle / healing), items to UMD.

Speaking of items to UMD, thinking about an (ancestral relic / item familiar (low cheese) that'd be a spell gem / infinite scrollcase to fill with scrolls to UMD. Just destroy unneeded treasure and fill gem with scrolls.

Invocations: Have to spend a lesser on brimstone or hellrime. Starting at level 10 (Warlock 7) so....
Least: Eldritch Spear (I am the Archer / Blaster), See the Unseen (lots of invisies), Summon Swarm (to qualify for Anima Mage) to ? Draconic Knowledge? Magic Insight (already have Detect Magic at will) (Oh yeah, DFA invocations allowed).
Lesser: Brimstone Blast. Exploit Vestige: Humanoid Shape? Normally I'd look at Fell Flight, or Walk Unseen, but I may be able to pick up a template for "free".

"Free" Template: (I'd really like to play a Pixie Warlock, but that's out.) Wendigo LA +2 (usually estimated at +4, but getting a break), for 9000xp, I get it for free and will only be one level behind. This does put me back in the deep end of the alignment pool, but could be a lot of fun if played right.

Sorry for the long post, having a little trouble organizing my thoughts at 2AM. :)

Optimystik
2010-03-26, 05:38 AM
That's a lot of houserules.

Have you read the Warlock Handbook? (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2915.0)

Tokiko Mima
2010-03-26, 07:44 AM
If DFA Invocations are allowed, might I suggest Lesser:Humanoid Shape, then becoming a Avariel (RoF, pg. 31) when you need to fly? It's like Fell Flight + Aquatic Adaption, and much more.

bartman
2010-03-26, 09:48 AM
Make sure you run it by your DM first. I am currently playing a hellfire warlock, and I know he would not let me artificially increase the Hellfire Blast past 6d6, simply because the class does not extend that far. His interpretation of bloodlines, UT, LC, and the like are that it can only go as far as the prestige class allows. It makes sense, and it is more or a RAW vs RAI debate.

golem1972
2010-03-26, 10:46 AM
That's a lot of houserules.

Have you read the Warlock Handbook? (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2915.0)

Is it a lot of houserules? All I'm seeing is the Anima Mage redone to work with Warlock and Spell - like abilities instead of spells (though the Exploit Vestige is pretty powerful - not Incantatrix powerful, but a definite boost) and the reduced LA for the Wendigo template (that I'll probably not take).

And, yes I have read the warlock compilation several times. Thank you for suggesting it and linking it though.

If DFA Invocations are allowed, might I suggest Lesser:Humanoid Shape, then becoming a Avariel (RoF, pg. 31) when you need to fly? It's like Fell Flight + Aquatic Adaption, and much more.

Lesser Invocation: Humanoid Shape was my primary choice for my first available Lesser Invocation after Brimstone Blast (prereq for Hellfire Warlock). I did note that in my opening post.

Make sure you run it by your DM first. I am currently playing a hellfire warlock, and I know he would not let me artificially increase the Hellfire Blast past 6d6, simply because the class does not extend that far. His interpretation of bloodlines, UT, LC, and the like are that it can only go as far as the prestige class allows. It makes sense, and it is more or a RAW vs RAI debate.

Thanks Bartman, that was a real concern. I did run it by my DM first. UT and LC have been ruled to progress abilities beyond normal levels. He was doubtful at first, but I showed him the damage output of a 20th level Sorcerer with no optimization just using disintegrate (yes there is a save, other better spells don't have one). The damage output of an optimized Warlock isn't even that great compared to a straight Sorcerer (let alone a metamagic abusing, Arcane Spellsurge, Arcane Fusion Sorcerer).

Level 10 is my worst level. I'll be a Warlock 7 / Binder 6 with the penalties of a Legacy Weapon (I may delay that to 12th or 15th) bringing me down. Any boost would be helpful (in comparison, one of the other characters was running around with 13th level wealth at 6th level. We've brought it back to a more reasonable level since then).

Oh yeah, the Warlock gauntlets = bow idea, DM thought it'd be cool, but not sure of the power level. At 10th level, a +1 Splitting would be most of my gold (and would be out of my buying power). It would be a great boost to my 4d6 EB. At 20th level it'd be too much (60d6). :( not sure what to do about that.