PDA

View Full Version : Favorite D&D Spells

nolispe
2010-03-26, 04:33 AM
As the Title. What are your favorite spells? Not nessasarily the most powerful, but ones that you like.
For me: (these may get me lynched, but hey)
1. Disjunction
2. Prismatic Sphere
3. Shapechange
Yeah, all 9th level spells. Hey, I'm a wannabe powergamer.

mikej
2010-03-26, 04:34 AM
Fireball
or
SNA

senrath
2010-03-26, 04:35 AM
Scorching Ray is probably my favorite spell.

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-26, 04:47 AM
Launch Bolt :smallsmile:

Cicciograna
2010-03-26, 04:55 AM
I love cantrips and 1st level spells in all their forms, but probabily Prestidigitation is my favourite :smallsmile:

Anterean
2010-03-26, 05:02 AM
I am going to go with Horrid Wilting.
There is just something about evaporating the moisture in your opponents leaving them as dried up husks.
It is a good visual image, so I stole it and used is as fluff for the necromancy spells in warhammer fantasy roleplay (hand of dust in paticular).

katans
2010-03-26, 05:22 AM
Cleric: Girallon's blessing. THW, shield, hand free to cast spells. It's having your cake and eating it too.

Sor/Wiz: Enervation. Neat, clean, metamagickable to the heavens and beyond, and classy.

Bard: Dirge. Snowing little skulls dealing delicious Dex damage. Love it.

Druid: Entangle. Goes a veeeeery long way.

Killer Angel
2010-03-26, 05:59 AM
For cleric: Heal. (which, BTW, is very useful offensively against undead)

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-26, 06:28 AM
MAGIC MISSILE!!! :smallbiggrin:

Personally I'm also a fan of Chain Lightning, because lightning is awesome.

Also Reverse Gravity because it's awesome as hell.

Eldariel
2010-03-26, 07:21 AM
From Wizard-spells:

1. Polymorph Any Object
2. Contingency
3. Greater Teleport

Tyger
2010-03-26, 07:59 AM
Defenestrating Sphere. Just because.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-26, 08:06 AM
MAgic missle of course.

and the summon x line

Beelzebub1111
2010-03-26, 08:10 AM
Spell Immunity (Fireball) + Stilled Fireball = dead grappling opponent.

Cyclocone
2010-03-26, 08:11 AM
Power Word Kill. Killing fools with a word is just classy as hell.

Lysander
2010-03-26, 08:15 AM
The Silent Image line of illusions is only limited by your imagination.

And Antimagic Fields are nice in their ability to say no to almost all magic.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-03-26, 08:55 AM
Glitterdust. It's a See Invisibility and an area-effect Blindness all in one, what's there not to like?

Greenish
2010-03-26, 09:06 AM
Stinking Cloud. While killing a single enemy with just a word may be classy, nothing speaks of power like ending an entire encounter just by farting.

Kaiyanwang
2010-03-26, 09:16 AM
Wall of Force. Too many ideas.

Dresil
2010-03-26, 09:18 AM
Glibness. +30 bluff wins.

Silly Wizard
2010-03-26, 09:19 AM
Mage Hand has so much things you could do with it, it's so OP. I could pick up a whole book and put it somewhere else without touching it! So overpowered, it should be a 9th-level spell

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-26, 09:30 AM
Mage Hand has so much things you could do with it, it's so OP. I could pick up a whole book and put it somewhere else without touching it! So overpowered, it should be a 9th-level spell

Might I introduce you to the Hedge Wizard (http://shadowsystems.laurencemartin.org/DnD/Hedge%20Wizard.pdf). Unlimited Cantrips FTW!! :smallcool:

Vangor
2010-03-26, 09:35 AM
Shivering Touch and Fabricate.

Shivering Touch is simply an all too powerful spell which is seemingly innocent initially, but we have developed too many ways to abuse this with Drow Scythe-Wielding Priests, Clerical Ghost-Faced Killers, and more.

Fabricate, on the other hand, is simple amusement. Coated an area in ferrous dust, wanted to fabricate weapons inside of people. We couldn't quite solve how this all worked, so this launched into a long discussion trying to find similar spells and potential rules to interact, but nothing. Rule of Awesome won the day, and the poor Orc Chieftain caused himself 1d12 damage every round he acted with an Axe having probably ruined his digestive system and unlikely to be removed without killing. Oh, then our Barbarian attempted to remove.

MonarchAnarch
2010-03-26, 09:43 AM
Flaming Sphere!!

Gotta love the lasting DPS, especially if you have a few going at once. Handy.

Angry Bob
2010-03-26, 12:04 PM
X to flesh spells are always entertaining.

"Stone to Flesh on the dwarven king's throne."

"Stone to Flesh on the castle wall."

"Ice to Flesh on the guy's drink."

Sanguine
2010-03-26, 12:17 PM
Otto's Irresistible Dance-Because I find making my enemies dance extremely amusing
Baleful Polymorph-Killing someone with one word might be classy but nothing says wizard like turning a person into a toad
Contingency-Because it is awesome do I really need to explain

Vitruviansquid
2010-03-26, 12:20 PM
Cloudkill. It does exactly what it says.

jokey665
2010-03-26, 12:38 PM
Slash Tongue

Emmerask
2010-03-26, 12:41 PM
Defenestrating Sphere. Just because.

Yep its just fun to play around with ^^

Foryn Gilnith
2010-03-26, 12:45 PM
Prestidigitation, Cure Light Wounds, Rope Trick, Animate Dead. The first 3 because I use them so much, the last for being awesome.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-26, 01:09 PM
I adore Magic/Force Missle, especially when used as a machine gun-esq spell (Warmage+FMM+Ardent Savant)

Radiun
2010-03-26, 01:59 PM
Resilient Sphere

because how many other spells let you survive volcanic eruptions, magical explosions, tsunamis, crumbling buildings, having vats of acid poured on you, etc. etc. etc.

Mind you, an exit strategy is still required, but in the meantime you get to enjoy the spectacle

SilverStar
2010-03-26, 02:26 PM
1. Prestidigitation. For a cantrip, it's damned useful.

2. Polar Ray. :smallbiggrin:

3. Polymorph Any Object. Also known as "Flowerpot" in my gaming circle. (One of my characters used this to turn a sirrush into a housecat. Very useful.)

4. Heal. Its one downside- doesn't heal ability drain....

5. Owl's Insight... with a Monk's Belt and a DM that doesn't cap it...

ScionoftheVoid
2010-03-26, 02:41 PM
Enervation, Polymorph Any Object (for use in city, building->Great Wyrm. Lots of other uses but this one lasts for an hour, assuming same size bonus), Gate, Consuptive Field and its Greater version, Glibness (*cast Glibness* "The sky is brown with orange polka dots." "Well, duh!"), Magic Jar, Plane Shift and Greater Teleport. Absolute favourites bolded. I have quite a few 'cause I took inspiration from previous posts.

SilverStar
2010-03-26, 02:45 PM
Permanent Emanation: Greater Consumptive Field.

Banned to everyone, everywhere... except this one PC...

Glibness is just... silly.:smalltongue:

Hobs
2010-03-26, 07:22 PM
my favorite spell goes way back to the 2e Tome of Magic.

solipsism

4th level cleric spell, an illusion spell that you want to believe in, because it really exists so long as you believe in it. for example, say you needed to cross a canyon. you can create a sollipsism of a bridge. and you have to make a save to believe in it. however, if your enemies try to follow you, and say make it half way across, and then if you can convince them to disbelieve in the bridge, they would all fall to their deaths.

loved it because it taught me a new word too. A solipsism is the idea that something is true if you believe it.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-26, 07:24 PM
my favorite spell goes way back to the 2e Tome of Magic.

solipsism

4th level cleric spell, an illusion spell that you want to believe in, because it really exists so long as you believe in it. for example, say you needed to cross a canyon. you can create a sollipsism of a bridge. and you have to make a save to believe in it. however, if your enemies try to follow you, and say make it half way across, and then if you can convince them to disbelieve in the bridge, they would all fall to their deaths.

loved it because it taught me a new word too. A solipsism is the idea that something is true if you believe it.

I love the sound of this spell.

theguineapigguy
2010-03-26, 07:33 PM
i like combust, especially with sudden maxamize. 24 damage with no save at 3rd level is awsome.:smallbiggrin:

Traveler
2010-03-26, 07:37 PM
3.5 fireball
3.5 magic missle
and
2nd ed Flesh Shiver

zql
2010-03-26, 07:53 PM

Great spell, but, erhm... no, solipsism is the idea that only the self exists, or can be proved to exist. Other things can be only misinterpretations, delusions caused by the self.

Favs spells:
Overland flight: what can I say? Love to be ready to lift up at any time without taking a round to cast Fly.
Glitterdust: just amazing. See invisibility for everyone, plus chance of blindness.
Hideous Laughter: not very effective, but hilarious.
Fireball: 'Rule of cool' written all over it.

Seatbelt
2010-03-26, 07:54 PM
I like Lightning Leap. I built a two-handed leap attack gish with lightning leap. Mechanically strong? No. Freakin awesome? Yes.

elonin
2010-03-26, 09:03 PM
Enervation for all the known good reasons

Benign Transposition to swap the rogue who just got drop on someone with the claymore wielding power attacker who is just about to move

GreyVulpine
2010-03-26, 09:25 PM
Defenestrating sphere

For being able to do what the spell's named after.

Private-Prinny
2010-03-26, 09:30 PM
I love illusion spells in their limitless forms. If you can't solve any roleplaying problem ever with an illusion, you're not trying hard enough.

thornn
2010-03-26, 11:22 PM
Spiritual Weapon - I just love this one, it's saved me a few times.
Magnetism - Need I say more?
Greater Dispel Magic
and last but not least
Sympathetic Vibration - because sometimes you just want to bring down the house.

arguskos
2010-03-26, 11:32 PM
I love the sound of this spell.
Solipsism exists in 3.5 as well. Spell Compendium, Sor/Wiz 7. Does pretty much the same thing.

EvilBloodGnome
2010-03-26, 11:33 PM
I always like Wraithstrike just because I like gish cheese.

That and Flesh to Stone. Something deliciously flamboyant about turning your enemies into statues and taking the more interesting looking of them home to decorate your tower/bungalow/crypt.

Korivan
2010-03-27, 02:09 PM
Extract Water Elemental.....just becuse i had a gelstalt factotum20-Wiz5/MSS3/Incantrix/Arcmage2 Maximise, Empower, Twin, Chain, Extend, Silence, Invisible Spelled this, teleported a little ways, quickend this whole thing, teleported with cunning surge, used cunning surge again for this trick. By the time I was done, almost the entire DM's army was domolished and working for us. All for the price of 3 7th level spells and an 8th lvl spell, and some 2nd lvl spells for dimension hop.

Volkov
2010-03-27, 02:51 PM
Destruction, even if you make the save, it still knocks a hefty chunk of your HP away.

Nerocite
2010-03-27, 02:59 PM
Avasculate: Death by your own body!
Drown: It's funny to drown someone in the middle of a desert.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-27, 03:03 PM
Clutch of Orcus. "Yeah, that's your friend's actual charred heart in my hand. Check his chest, it's got a hollow where this used to be. Problem?"

:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: