PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 building a beguiler

alisbin
2010-03-26, 10:37 AM
hey mates,
i'm considering adding a beguiler to a party i'm building (making a canned 20th/epic adventure for times that my group DM isn't around) and after looking at the spell list, i'm slightly underwhelmed, but i realize that with careful use of advanced learning, it could be a real powerhouse. so my question, what are the best choices for advanced learning? i was thinking about taking the whole shadow conjuration line to give it some real heavy duty flexibility, but i've never played a beguiler before so i'm coming to you all for advice. i'm not trying to make the character a world breaker, but ideally i'd like it to remain useful even if i want to throw mind affecting immune enemies at the party.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-03-26, 11:29 AM
First of all, get Versatile Spellcaster from Races of the Dragon as your first level feat. That could/should grant you early access to the next level of spells, subject to DM interpretation. Second, go Beguiler 5/ Mindbender 1/ Beguiler 14, which allows you to get a spell of one level higher for Advanced Learning gained after Mindbender. That allows your Advanced learning spell levels to be 2nd, 5th, 7th, 9th, and 9th. My choice of spells for that would be Ray of Stupidity, Shadow Form, Greater Shadow Conjuration, Superior Invisibility, and Greater Shadow Evocation. Also be sure to get Mindsight from Lords of Madness (page 126), which is especially useful with Ray of Stupidity.

the humanity
2010-03-26, 12:44 PM
Final Rebuke is a great spell to advanced learn.

and a robe of mysterious conjuration is really good.

taking 1 level of bard to splash into sublime chord for superior, unlimited advanced learnings always intrigued.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-26, 01:27 PM
Take Arcane Discipline and pick some domains that fill the gaps in your spell list

jokey665
2010-03-26, 01:30 PM
Pick Beguiler as your race so you can be a Beguiler Beguiler.

Optimystik
2010-03-26, 01:37 PM

http://newsimg.ngfiles.com/175000/175687_xzibit_happy.jpg

Mushroom Ninja
2010-03-26, 01:39 PM

Then take the feats Obtain Familiar and Improved familiar to get a beguiler familiar.

quiet1mi
2010-03-26, 01:42 PM
Start things simple... Are you an enchantment Beguiler or an Illusion Beguiler...

Next are you a social chameleon or an infiltrator...

act accordingly...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-03-26, 01:43 PM
Then take the feats Obtain Familiar and Improved familiar to get a beguiler familiar.

Don't forget to take Leadership and make it your cohort, and give it levels in Beguiler... Then it can take Obtain/Improved Familiar, too!

deuxhero
2010-03-26, 01:53 PM
A Raiment of the Four (MIC) is cheep and gives you the ability to cast Magic Missle, Fireball, Freedom of Movement and Teleport.
Runestaffs (also MIC) lets you drop a spell slot to cast a spell from the staff. They require the spell be on your spell list, but you have UMD...

Remember that undead (and constructs) aren't immune to illusions, quite the opposite in fact, a smart foe will likely realize that wall you just summoned up is a fake without needing to interact and save, a construct/undead can't do either. Glitterdust also works on them.

gorfnab
2010-03-26, 02:01 PM
Currently playing a Beguiler Beguiler in a campaign, it does actually work quite nicely.
Taking a level of Rogue with the Craven (CoR) feat and then picking up two levels of Unseen Seer (CM) will net you the spell Hunter's Eye (PHBII) for some nice sneak attack damage. Otherwise if you want some power and versatility look into a Whisper Gnome (RoS) Beguiler 6/ Shadow Adept (PGtF) 1/ Beguiler 1/ Shadowcraft Mage 5 (RoS)/ Shadowcrafter 7 (UD)

New Beguiler's Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2322.0)
Shadowcraft Mage Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5638.0)

gorfnab
2010-03-26, 02:21 PM
Don't forget to take Leadership and make it your cohort, and give it levels in Beguiler... Then it can take Obtain/Improved Familiar, too!
Don't forget the one level of Warlock for the Beguiling Influence invocation so that you can have Beguiling Beguiler Beguilers. :smalltongue:

Darwin
2010-03-26, 02:26 PM
I believe it's Vow of Nonviolence that grants you a +4 bonus to all your DC's, might be worth it to look that one up :smallwink:

Beguiler is great for getting into a killer Gnome build. Go Beguiler, Mindbender (for delaying advanced learning a level) and then Shadowcraft Mage.

Augmented Lurk
2010-03-26, 04:05 PM
If you want to be a real powerhouse you should take Simulacrum at 15th level.