PDA

View Full Version : Protecting yourself from Disjunction: how for various characters?

Brock Samson
2010-03-26, 11:03 AM
Basically, that. How can various characters protect themselves from Disjunction? Whether it's the Sorcerer, wizard, Cleric (eep if you're a DMM persist cleric), Duskblade, bard, what have you.

I'm pretty sure Greater Spell Immunity only works up to 8th level spells, so that's out. Obviously there's counterspelling, and Celerity. What else?

Vulaas
2010-03-26, 11:23 AM
Extra spell to learn it, and Wings of Cover to break Line of Effect should work for any casters.

Lapak
2010-03-26, 11:38 AM
Extra spell to learn it, and Wings of Cover to break Line of Effect should work for any casters.Along the same lines, Contingency/[Anything that breaks Line of Effect or puts you out of range] works as well. Encasing yourself in a Resilient Sphere if anyone starts casting Disjunction within 150 feet of you, putting a Wall in the way, Dimension Door-ing yourself a few hundred feet the opposite way (since it's a close-range spell with a 40 foot burst, that should do it); all of those work. Heck, Abrupt Jaunt should do it if that can put a physical barrier between you and the spell.

Heliomance
2010-03-26, 11:38 AM
Never using it yourself. Most groups have a gentlemen's agreement that basically goes as long as the players never using Mordenkainen's Disjunction, the DM won't either.

Lysander
2010-03-26, 11:47 AM
A high will save. So if you expect disjunction you can always have Owl's Wisdom cast on you, or anything else that boosts your will save.

Stealth/invisibility/etherealness/illusions also work. If they don't know you're there how can they disjunct you?

PhoenixRivers
2010-03-26, 11:59 AM
A high will save. So if you expect disjunction you can always have Owl's Wisdom cast on you, or anything else that boosts your will save.

Stealth/invisibility/etherealness/illusions also work. If they don't know you're there how can they disjunct you?

Anyone that has disjunction should have detection methods.
Several kill stealth, many kill invisibility/etherealness.

The surest ways are as follows:
Ring of Spell Battle (MIC)
Invisibility from a range higher than 120 feet, to be out of the range of most detections.

Brock Samson
2010-03-26, 12:03 PM
AFB, what does Ring of Spell Battle do?

PhoenixRivers
2010-03-26, 12:04 PM
AFB, what does Ring of Spell Battle do?

For any spell cast within 60 feet of you (MDJ is a close range spell), you can make a spellcraft check to ID it. If you ID it, once per day, you can either:
(1) Attempt to dispel it with Dispel Magic with a +10 bonus, or
(2) Redirect the effect.

So you can center it on the caster.

Lysander
2010-03-26, 12:08 PM
Here's a question. Do items that merge with your body via wild shape/polymorph count as being present if you're hit with a disjunction?

Brock Samson
2010-03-26, 06:30 PM
That's a darn good question, and I have no idea. My gut seems to want to say no though, just cause.

Eldariel
2010-03-26, 06:32 PM
Ring of Spell-Battle (Immediate Action Redirect). Immediate Action/Free Action/Contingent movement/countermagic/LoE block. High Will-save, way to reroll 1s, no active spell-effects.

Make no mistake, it's a potent spell but not uncounterable.

Jack_Simth
2010-03-26, 06:54 PM
Basically, that. How can various characters protect themselves from Disjunction? Whether it's the Sorcerer, wizard, Cleric (eep if you're a DMM persist cleric), Duskblade, bard, what have you.

I'm pretty sure Greater Spell Immunity only works up to 8th level spells, so that's out. Obviously there's counterspelling, and Celerity. What else?

A DMM(Persistent Spell) Cheater of Mystria Cleric has very little to fear. Pre-epic, he's got less than a 25% chance per casting of getting Disjoined (Persisted AMF). And keeps around both Boots and Helm of Teleportation, just in case, to retreat (no teleport-blocking spells survive the Disjoining...).

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-26, 08:08 PM
Spell effects get disjoined with no save or anything, so the DMM cleric (not the Cheater of Mystra, though) is fubar'd.

My tinfoil hat works with this, if you do it right. The wizard who casts shrink item on some Large cones should have his raven familiar ready an action each round to call out shrink item's command word if something bad is about to happen. The hat blocks LoE and LoS, thereby disrupting Mordy's disjunction.

Now just put those on the whole party and you're good.

It'll also give you a round or two if the party's frenzied berzerker goes...well...berzerk. Or if that traitorous rogue decides to betray the party and join the BBEG in the climactic battle. Or if the kender sorcerer decides to get lippy. It has lots of uses, really.

elonin
2010-03-26, 08:19 PM
At the levels that I'm familiar playing with Disjunction isn't on the table. However when I play a wizard I try to get a ring of counterspell and load dispel or greater dispel, just in case. Isn't there a ring of counterspell of sufficient level that works with disjunction?

jguy
2010-03-26, 08:26 PM
My Dm threatened to cast that spell (and eventually did but he was foolish enough to do it in an AMF the -he- created) but I said I was going to buy the cheapest artifact I could find. I chose the deck of many things and strapped it to my clerics breastplate. I was going to laugh my ass off if our Epic wizard enemy had disjoined the artifact and Mask came around all PO'd